Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Right To Buy.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The 'Right to Buy' policy, whatever anyone may say was indeed a good policy BUT, where it fell down was that there was no insistence that the proceeds from such sales were not re-invested in building 'MORE' affordable properties to replace them ( backed with further government funds ). Of course local authorities were going to delight in that extra figure in their annual budget as, I understand, there was no control.

Whilst on this general subject, I feel that, through the general taxation system, policies should be in force that make it much less profitable for 'Buy to Let' purchasers ( those having to borrow to do so ) thus easing the plight of genuine first time property buyers.

The problem is a £200k property can be bought under right to buy by a tenant for £100k with a 50% discount but by the time the local authority sees any of the proceeds this has been whittled down to about £30k because a large chunk goes back into Treasury coffers. As I understand it any proceeds from right to buy during the 1980's and 1990's couldn't be used by the local authority to build replacement housing as it could only be used to clear council debt

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Has anyone yet seen Bozza's link to Miliband's support for Right To Buy?

You need to get wise to Bozza and his intentions. He has an interest in stimulating debate. You will notice he dips in with unsubstantiated nonsense....then disappears. Either bite or ignore

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
I wish my c*nt neighbours had their housing association place sold. they wouldn't be able to afford it even at a discount so hopefully would **** off

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
The problem is a £200k property can be bought under right to buy by a tenant for £100k with a 50% discount but by the time the local authority sees any of the proceeds this has been whittled down to about £30k because a large chunk goes back into Treasury coffers. As I understand it any proceeds from right to buy during the 1980's and 1990's couldn't be used by the local authority to build replacement housing as it could only be used to clear council debt

Well thank you for that point which tends to emphahise where it went wrong at that time - I still stand by the fact that it was a good policy but incorrectly 'framed'

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
It is generally housing that is managed by a local authority, charity or housing association on a not for profit basis, that is allocated to tenants who meet qualifying criteria such as those on a council housing list or key worker classification. It is social housing because essentially it is housing those that would find it difficult to obtain accommodation through the open market whether private for rent, or for sale.

It is affordable because rents are subsidised below market rates, or completely depending on the situation.

Essentially the terms replaced the old 'council housing' when state owned housing started to be managed by private institutions such as HA's rather than Local Authorities. Almost all social housing is now built by registered social landlords such as HA's who receive grant funding for the capital building projects where in return they provide accommodation for a set number of eligible tenants.

Thank you.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
damage already well and truly done, save the cheap soundbites for something that matters eh EP ?

Why should pension companies, many of whom have been involved in the mis-selling of financial services and products, be given tax benefits not available to others?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here