The Right To Buy.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
This:

It's totally bonkers policy.

I lived in a housing association place for some years. I got on the list as a student, lived there while I was on a starter salary and as soon as I got some decent wedge, I moved out, freeing it up for someone else. A year later, I had enough in the bank to my own property.That's how HAs work.

So, these days I could have stayed on to pick up my discount and got a bargain house - all totally undeserved, while the HAT loses more of its stock

(not me)

Now I'm confused - a 'This' along with a thumbs down ???

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
This:

It's totally bonkers policy.

I lived in a housing association place for some years. I got on the list as a student, lived there while I was on a starter salary and as soon as I got some decent wedge, I moved out, freeing it up for someone else. A year later, I had enough in the bank to my own property.That's how HAs work.

So, these days I could have stayed on to pick up my discount and got a bargain house - all totally undeserved, while the HAT loses more of its stock

(not me)

There is something in what you say,when you high-lighted you moved out,but others chose too stay,and that is the 'issue' S/Housing or call it what you want even dare i say it Council Housing is not for life.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
as long as the ratio between average wages and average house prices remain
historically high home ownership will continue to fall.
these houses will end up like many council houses in the private rental sector

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
all council property and housing association property's to be sold
should never be allowed to end up in the private rental sector
but it means regulating the market

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
This government had a policy of a 1-1 replacement for RTB. It's managed 1-5. This is the last twitching of a neoliberal soon-to-be corpse, hopefully.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Hopefully this latest tranche of Right To Buy will go the way of the previous Thatcherite Right To Buy tranche for the Tories. Thatcher offered Scottish voters the Right To Buy. Scottish voters unanimously said cheers for that Maggie, still not voting for your scummy party tho ya BITCH! :thumbsup:

Hmm not sure trousering the the cash and sticking two fingers up afterwards is the most dignified course of action, irrespective.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I thought that the fundamental principle on how housing associations worked was that, by establishing a base of properties, they then had capital assets and an income stream, against which they could borrow more money and build houses.
Selling off their best properties in theory suggests you could build one to replace one, but in practice it restricts their ability to borrow more money and thus restricts their ability to build more houses.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The only example I know of personally is my Mum, who bought her council house in Woodingdean in the 80s. She was thrilled that she could finally own a home of her own. Two years ago she was diagnosed with dementia & unfortunately has to live in a care home. Her house was sold to a young couple, & the proceeds are now paying for her care, which is saving the council thousands of pounds.
I realise that there are a lot of people that have turned their pensions into bricks & mortar, but surely the biggest failure is not building more new homes for social housing?

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
What extra money? The money they get from flogging off houses at discounted prices, paying for new houses at full price which will then also be flogged off at a discount - with no more rent revenue coming in from them once they are sold, ever?

Flogging off the family silver always was a desperate, short term policy.

Not sure that the price of construction is currently equal to market value on average across th UK though? The discounts are not massive I dont think

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Never really understood the term "affordable housing" or" social housing". what doe it mean?
Is it accommodation that can be afforded by, students, minimum wage earners, unemployed or what?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Never really understood the term "affordable housing" or" social housing". what doe it mean?
Is it accommodation that can be afforded by, students, minimum wage earners, unemployed or what?

It is generally housing that is managed by a local authority, charity or housing association on a not for profit basis, that is allocated to tenants who meet qualifying criteria such as those on a council housing list or key worker classification. It is social housing because essentially it is housing those that would find it difficult to obtain accommodation through the open market whether private for rent, or for sale.

It is affordable because rents are subsidised below market rates, or completely depending on the situation.

Essentially the terms replaced the old 'council housing' when state owned housing started to be managed by private institutions such as HA's rather than Local Authorities. Almost all social housing is now built by registered social landlords such as HA's who receive grant funding for the capital building projects where in return they provide accommodation for a set number of eligible tenants.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The only example I know of personally is my Mum, who bought her council house in Woodingdean in the 80s. She was thrilled that she could finally own a home of her own. Two years ago she was diagnosed with dementia & unfortunately has to live in a care home. Her house was sold to a young couple, & the proceeds are now paying for her care, which is saving the council thousands of pounds.
I realise that there are a lot of people that have turned their pensions into bricks & mortar, but surely the biggest failure is not building more new homes for social housing?

You're right that the biggest failure is not building more homes for social housing (or, in fact, not build more homes full stop), but this is because neoliberal logic dictates that the private sector -- and only the private sector -- should build houses. This is why there's been such a shortfall in housebuilding over the past few decades. The only periods when housebuilding i.e. supply has exceeded demand has been when the state has stepped in, and this is what's required now.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Just as well George Osborne reversed this policy during the current administration then....................oh.
damage already well and truly done, save the cheap soundbites for something that matters eh EP ?

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
there is no incentive for housebuliders to undermine their profits by building
enough houses to bring down prices.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
The 'Right to Buy' policy, whatever anyone may say was indeed a good policy BUT, where it fell down was that there was no insistence that the proceeds from such sales were not re-invested in building 'MORE' affordable properties to replace them ( backed with further government funds ). Of course local authorities were going to delight in that extra figure in their annual budget as, I understand, there was no control.

Whilst on this general subject, I feel that, through the general taxation system, policies should be in force that make it much less profitable for 'Buy to Let' purchasers ( those having to borrow to do so ) thus easing the plight of genuine first time property buyers.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The 'Right to Buy' policy, whatever anyone may say was indeed a good policy BUT, where it fell down was that there was no insistence that the proceeds from such sales were not re-invested in building 'MORE' affordable properties to replace them ( backed with further government funds ). Of course local authorities were going to delight in that extra figure in their annual budget as, I understand, there was no control.

Whilst on this general subject, I feel that, through the general taxation system, policies should be in force that make it much less profitable for 'Buy to Let' purchasers ( those having to borrow to do so ) thus easing the plight of genuine first time property buyers.

Scrap interest as an expense on buy-2-let and scrap right-2-buy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here