Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The referee needs to be investigated and we should not drop it

Music City Gull

Not Changing This, Bozza
Jun 28, 2020
12 South
It’s minimum of 5 mins. The ref can blow when he likes! We just needed to keep out heads for 2 mins

So when a ref announces 4 minutes of stoppage time what he’s really saying is the game may end in 4 minutes or may be 4 days? Up to him? Well, I’m not sure that’s the intent of the rule, but since you’re talking down to everybody today then just keep doing you.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I imagine some time would've been added on seeing as March scored in stoppage time.

March scored with 34 seconds of added 5 mins remaining (after 4:26) only thing that happened during that 5 mins that wasn't normal play was Man U putting V D Beek on. Yes we celebrated for a minute, but their corner was over 2 mins after restart (when 34 seconds were left as March scored) the Maguire header was well over 2 mins after restart....then final whistle and finally Fernandez scores 90+11.

From a Manchester ref, it's either corruption or gross incompetence.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Extra/injury time issues disappear if match timing is removed from refs!! 35 mins active play each half... when the ball is dead the clock stops. Not hard, other sports do it.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Taking out the ending his whole game was shocking. When you throw in the VAR breaking protocol the whole things is wrong. Amazed how calm GP was at the end, can you imagine a Dyche or Jose after that

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Was it after the final whistle? I think that’s the main gripe.

It’s not the final whistle though is it. The final whistle is the final one. The ref blew for a penalty, then to take a penalty. Then three more peeps for the end of the match. Your inferring the final whistle was the one 6 peeps before. Clearly it wasn’t. No match result is ever going to be changed. We need to get over and get on. All this hard done by will only eat away at us. We let three more goals in at home, have the worst home record in 2020. Focus on that. Utd weren’t even that good, even Palace can turn them over and AWAY from home. For second successive season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Was it after the final whistle? I think that’s the main gripe.
Seemingly not:-
95th minute. 5 mins injury time played..

Yet Man U are taking a corner in the 97th minute? Why, and why is no one in the media mentioning this?

I genuinely don't know the answer.
Buckley's goal was timed at 90+8, I'm just curious as too how much injury time went up on the board?

There is a possibility that THE generational goal for Brighton 1.2 was scored after injury time had elapsed.

Making it somewhat difficult to argue the point that this goal shouldn't stand because injury time had elapsed.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Yet Man U are taking a corner in the 97th minute? Why, and why is no one in the media mentioning this?

Buckley's goal was timed at 90+8, I'm just curious as too how much injury time went up on the board?

There is a possibility that THE generational goal for Brighton 1.2 was scored after injury time had elapsed.

Making it somewhat difficult to argue the point that this goal shouldn't stand because injury time had elapsed.

You seem to be lost. This is NSC.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia

Billy Sharpe's injury in the Doncaster game would have caused a long delay in play . Can't recall if it was first or 2nd half though .

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Taking out the ending his whole game was shocking. When you throw in the VAR breaking protocol the whole things is wrong. Amazed how calm GP was at the end, can you imagine a Dyche or Jose after that

I was very impressed with Potter’s post match interview. He stayed calm and his suggestion of saying that they’d need to ask the ref why he played beyond the allotted 95 Mins was a very calm putdown of the CJTC of a Manchester ref.

The bias of Kavanagh in the second half was sickening to me

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You seem to be lost. This is NSC.

I'm also thinking of games when we were the robbers not the robbies.

But I'm not sure NSC is quite really for my full on brand of wishy washy yoghurt knitted sandals 'come of guys we've done it too' bullshit, just yet.

:lol:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I'm also thinking of games when we were the robbers not the robbies.

But I'm not sure NSC is quite really for my full on brand of wishy washy yoghurt knitted sandals 'come of guys we've done it too' bullshit, just yet.

:lol:

definitely not the time or place for yoghurt sandals mate ....should be safe by tuesday.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The added on time is always 'a minimum of', but the point really is that discounting minutes added for substitutions (VDB was coming on as the clock passed 90), Kavanagh found only 3 minutes additional time in 45 minutes of football. During the five minute injury time he somehow found another two minutes. An additional minute for every fifteen before the end of normal time, then an additional minute for every two and a half after the end of normal time. He's shafted us because he didn't want to be accused of not allowing them time to take the corner.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
Nonsense.

So does that mean if there’s 3 minutes injury time a referee is allowed to blow after 23 minutes injury time?

Of course not, that would be silly. But that is your logic.

Yes, exactly. It's not a difficult concept, is it?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
No! It's not against the rules and they have just clarified that. What would have been interesting was if the penalty was saved but a rebound was put in. They've just explained that according to the laws the ref is obliged to blow the whistle and rebound goal should be disallowed. What a the betting he would have missed that.

What is more of a concern is that they've just clarified what the 4th official's role was in the reviewed Pogba foul on Connoly. BT could hear what the 4th official was saying and he clearly said to the ref that he needed to review as he believed Albion player initiated contact. They have clarified that 4th official is NOT allowed to proffer an opinion which might influence the refs decision. He is meant to simply advise that the ref may wish to review.

Who is 'they'? This is yet another farcical decision due to VAR. VAR has massively destroyed my enjoyment of football. Time is all relative, what happens if VAR finds other discrepancies after a ref has blown for full time. Play to the whistle. Except the whistle may actually not be the defining law at the end of the game.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
VAR is allowed to review and award the penalty at the end of the match, when this happens and time is up the ref should have blown once to stop play while the review takes place. Once the review has taken place he then either blows for full time or allows the penalty to be taken and then blows for full time, no rebounds are permitted, it is just the penalty shot that is permitted. However it appears that the ref either didn't know that VAR was reviewing the handball and blew for full time before he was informed, which given the proximity of the whistle to the incident is entirely possible, or he was informed but instead of blowing once to stop play he blew three times in confusion.

The below comes from Neil Swarbrick and was posted on the Palace site at the start of the 2019-20 season.

If an incident occurs in the final seconds of play that the referee does not spot and the VAR is reviewing it, what happens once the final whistle has been blown? Will the referee allow a match to play for too long if they know something is being checked?

We’ve got a process in place for that. When an incident is being checked, the first thing that happens is the VAR will automatically engage the referee. They’ll press a red button and tell the referee they’re checking a decision.

While the check is taking place and the referee is fully aware that time is up, they will give a single blow of the whistle to stop play. They will blow their whistle, stop play, put their left finger to their ear and put their palm out to show everyone a VAR is checking the decision. Everyone stops on the field of play. The check will take place, the VAR will come back and say: ‘check complete.’ The referee will then blow for half time or full time. If the review advises a decision is made, the referee will indicate that, the screen will show the incident and a decision will be made.

The only questions remain over the timings based on what the ref had originally allowed for time added on, even allowing for our goal I was surprised he didn't blow up when the ball went out of play for the corner, but once the handball happens in what the ref has determined to be time added on unfortunately for us everything else involving VAR is permitted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here