Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The referee needs to be investigated and we should not drop it

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
People need to get over it. I'm pretty sure the team will.

That wasn't the point, I was referring to the rubbish statement that it all evens out. Blasé and backed up by no facts.

We will move on but I suspect the team will remember next time we play utd or have Kavanagh or Hooper officiating.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
As it's a minimum of 5 minutes (so he could feasibly play to 95.59 to start with) the following means:
March's goal celebrations took over 1 minute, however lets say the ref just added a minute. He can now play to 96.59 if he wants.
Penalty offence at 96.31 is well within the 96.59 limit (and that's only adding 1 minute for the celebrations which took longer).

Nothing to moan about really.

Playing until 95:59 is actually playing 1 second short of 6 minutes injury time. If the signal is for a minimum of 5 minutes injury time the full time whistle should come at 95:00 unless there is a significant delay, even allowing for the goal celebrations there was only about 30 seconds of time left when March scored so the full time whistle should have come at around 95:30. How long the celebrations went on for does not come into it. At that point you can only add on time remaining not how long the game was delayed for. If a player went down injured in the 89th minute and the game was delayed for 10 mins for his treatment, there would only be an extra minute added to the injury time not the 10 minutes the game was delayed for and the injury time would start when the game recommenced after the injury.

Last edited:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Playing until 95:59 is actually playing 1 second short of 6 minutes injury time. If the signal is for a minimum of 5 minutes injury time the full time whistle should come at 95:00 unless there is a significant delay, even allowing for the goal celebrations there was only about 30 seconds of time left when March scored so the full time whistle should have come at around 95:30. How long the celebrations went on for does not come into it. At that point you can only add on time remaining not how long the game was delayed for. If a player went down injured in the 89th minute and the game was delayed for 10 mins for his treatment, there would only be an extra minute added to the injury time not the 10 minutes the game was delayed for and the injury time would start when the game recommenced after the injury.

Hang on. Let me just clarify this. If the ref, during the second half has seen 5 minutes and 30 seconds of 'events' which he wants to add on as injury time, you are saying he HAS to call it 5 minutes and ONLY play 5 minutes if nothing else happens during injury time?

I would expect the ref to call that a 'minimum of 5 minutes' and look to blow his whistle on 95.30

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Hang on. Let me just clarify this. If the ref, during the second half has seen 5 minutes and 30 seconds of 'events' which he wants to add on as injury time, you are saying he HAS to call it 6 minutes.....as he is NOT allowed to play over the 5 minutes?

I would expect the ref to call that a 'minimum of 5 minutes' and look to blow his whistle on 95.30

I'd wager almost every ref would round up to to 6 mins injury time if they had seen 5 and a half minutes of delays during a half, it's almost impossible to calculate the exact time anyway so no ref is ever questioned over the amount of time they asked to be displayed as a minimum, the 4th official should keep a record of delays to the game but it's not an exact science and some things are discretionary (like a goal keeper time wasting at goal kicks). If injury time goes off without any incidents then the whistle always goes within a few seconds of the minimum time being reached, you very rarely see a ref playing to 30 seconds, 40 seconds or whatever. It's always worked to the full minute unless someone scores or there are further injuries to take into account.

Last edited:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Why get annoyed about technicalities. Play to the whistle. We deserved that, just switched off at the death. Went toe to toe with United, better team, chance after chance, but it didn't happen. Gutted but not going to blame the ref

I agree. It's about time we dropped each half to 30 mins and then stopped clock Evey time play is stopped.

Incidents like this would be eradicated as would time wasting tactics

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Can someone explain why is a watch just not stopped at the moment the penalty goes in?

If there's 5 minutes extra time and the penalty is scored with 4min 30 of that time gone then time should be stopped until the ball is kicked off again which restarts and the last 30 seconds left of extra time commences.

This adding extra time for celebrations seems utter bullshit when in other sports the clock simply stops until play resumes.

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
I find myself asking why was VAR introduced in the first place? To remove controversial refereeing decisions? I now wonder are there fewer or more controversies with VAR?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
People will get over it but this is a discussion forum. People will naturally talk about extremely contentious decisions.

Maybe ignore this thread if it bothers you.

No.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
People will get over it but this is a discussion forum. People will naturally talk about extremely contentious decisions.

Maybe ignore this thread if it bothers you.

Maybe the thread title doesn’t help. There is a big difference between disagreeing on a penalty decision and calling for the ref to be investigated. Ridiculously over the top.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here