Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Ref

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Seemed to make a rod for his own back for some reason. Few early niggly fouls left uncalled which meant as the game wore on the fouls got worse and players that should have been on a 2nd yellow only got their first. Casemiro almost certainly should have gone. EDIT: And Antony for just kicking AliMac.

But I don't think we were angels last night either :shrug:

Overall just another poor performance from a professional referee at the top of the game. In other news: water is wet.

We weren’t thugs.

As the Telegraph reported:

“Mac Allister, especially, played with a swagger and class that was beyond his opponents in red. In the second half, Casemiro and Antony decided that the only way to disrupt the Argentina midfielder was to kick him, and both could have been sent off”.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
We weren’t thugs.

As the Telegraph reported:

“Mac Allister, especially, played with a swagger and class that was beyond his opponents in red. In the second half, Casemiro and Antony decided that the only way to disrupt the Argentina midfielder was to kick him, and both could have been sent off”.
Didn't say we were thugs :shrug:

I do think the ref had little to zero control on things and that both sides could have been better behaved.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Didn't say we were thugs :shrug:

I do think the ref had little to zero control on things and that both sides could have been better behaved.

We came to play football.

Chasing shadows, ManUre after half time abandoned that with scything down and contrived scuffles. As they were outplayed. Casemiro committed three yellow card challenges.

Marriner was yet another ref who didn’t have the balls to deal with that, as we saw at WHL. A subconscious fear of facing the fury from a big club and their mates.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
We came to play football.

Chasing shadows, ManUre after half time abandoned that with scything down and contrived scuffles. As they were outplayed. Casemiro committed three yellow card challenges.

Marriner was yet another ref who didn’t have the balls to deal with that, as we saw at WHL. A subconscious fear of facing the fury from a big club and their mates.
And Mitoma dived twice. Gilmour got away with breaking up a counter :shrug:

I can't be f***ed to argue mate.

We can both agree Marriner had a shocker.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Not one, but two "particular incidents"

Moaning Fernandez received treatment for an alledged injury and didn't leave the field, which the ref acknowledged by patting him on the back ?
As has been noted a few times in this thread, if a player is booked for a foul for which a player needs treatment, that player doesn't have to leave the pitch after treatment. That is something the ref got right.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

The sky extended highlights showed the Mitoma dives in slow mo. Bit embarrassing he needs to cut it out

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

On the diving thread I said Mitoma does it several times every game, badly. I want him to just stay on his feet …. and perhaps score/create. What a waste of opportunities.

Balanced out by Fernandes, Fred and Rashford serial offenders again last night.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
On the diving thread I said Mitoma does it several times every game, badly. I want him to just stay on his feet …. and perhaps score/create. What a waste of opportunities.

Yeah absolutely.

Mitoma is so good he doesn't need to dive. He should be better than that. Ditto Fernandes et al.

It's a real shame to see quality players resorting to that sort of shenanigan

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
we aren’t allowed to criticize the ref for the sake of it as it makes us seem like peevish tinpot crybabies, especially after we won, helped by to correct use of VAR
I thought it was a lively evening
Corrected for you.

There are things to moan about and there are....oh, look over there! I do declare I spotted a wood chuff!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

It was what it was.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Corrected for you.

There are things to moan about and there are....oh, look over there! I do declare I spotted a wood chuff!
Nah I’ll stick to my original point (was there one?)…..but it kinda occupied about .0000001% of my thoughts post match and I wouldn’t have bothered starting a thread about it …but that could have been said about a few others….celebrate the win

Lively though wasn’t it

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
He was desperate to get United over the line.

Casemiro shouldve gone, Shaw shouldve got a second yellow for handball, so many times he waved on play for fouls kn our players.

Mariner tried. He'll be gutted
Funny that. Here I am basking in the memory of last night, and I'm sure it was us that got over the line. And we even had a smidgeon of help from Marriner in doing so. I'm not gutted.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The Talksport team feel Casimiro committed three yellow card fouls.

Tonight thank fck for VAR …. handballs don’t come more blatant than that.
On that basis, Marriner was right to give him just one.
And, as for the handball, yes, it was obvious when you have multiple cameras and slo mo, but live with three/four players around the ball, I'm not going to berate the ref for that.

I don't think the referees are corrupt. It's that simple. For those that do, which other conspiracy theories do you indulge yourself in?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
On that basis, Marriner was right to give him just one.
And, as for the handball, yes, it was obvious when you have multiple cameras and slo mo, but live with three/four players around the ball, I'm not going to berate the ref for that.

I don't think the referees are corrupt. It's that simple. For those that do, which other conspiracy theories do you indulge yourself in?

No Casemiro should’ve seen red for 2 or 3 bad fouls.

I’ve never said corrupt either. But that has happened on the continent.

Instead a subconscious bias that I better be 100% damn sure that if I penalise this big club, that I get it right. It extends to VAR officials who have the benefit of several minutes and a sterile environment to work in. To this day even neutral pundits cannot fathom why the VAR guy gave all those decisions for Spurs at WHL.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Instead a subconscious bias that I better be 100% damn sure that if I penalise this big club, that I get it right. It extends to VAR officials who have the benefit of several minutes and a sterile environment to work in. To this day even neutral pundits cannot fathom why the VAR guy gave all those decisions for Spurs at WHL.
Or the palace penalty. But they are not a big club. They are in fact, paging @El Presidente , a small club. :ROFLMAO:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Honestly, if your thought after leaving the game last night was “I must write a complaint about the referee.” then I do wonder about the rest of your life.

Did you spend your wedding night complaining that the priest’s lacklustre delivery of the vows ruined the occasion for you?

I thought Ten Hag and Shaw’s press conferences were fairly classless and disappointing, but to hear my own side winning with poor grace is somehow worse. My completely unsolicited advice is to take the (fairly huge) positive and we’re on to the next match.

As others pointed out, the ref may not have been perfect, but we have to play though that just like every other team has to.
Hallelujah.
We've had some shocking days this season -- I've never left a game so livid as after the Spurs game; Palace got away with one (again); and there are a few others -- but, on the whole, officiating isn't as bad as is made out, and we were saved by VAR last night (which won't be conceded by its critics).

I agree about Ten Hag and Shaw. Very poor and unaware, but they're by no means alone in that.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

It's a bit like arguing with a many-headed hydra on this board about such things.
RE Casemiro:
1, first one was a definite yellow when he hacked down the Mac counter-attack
2, second one (when Mac wriggled past Casemiro), not sure it was a yellow ...
(... I hate the fact that the bar is set higher for a second yellow; however subjective/difficult it is to award yellow cards, a yellow should be a yellow)
3, no idea which is the third one that you and the clowns on TalkSport are going on about -- I have no memory of it

Officials officiate on 760 PL games a season (if I've got my maths right). The fact that they royally f***ed up one of them indicates that they've royally f***ed up 0.15% games, which is a pretty meaningless basis to make a big claim. That said, there might be something in the unconscious bias issue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here