The ref tonight vs Blackburn

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
Tbf we are getting a reputation for whining too much. We need to get on with the game more and ignore the referees incompetence. Which seems to be in abundance this season. I was still angry a week later after the Sheff wed game. Which had to see the worst referee to walk the planet. But still the over exuberance contesting the decisions does us no favours.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I thought for the most part the ref wasn't too bad, I actually think we've had a lot more decent refs this season than last. He did start to lose it towards the end. I missed his challenge on lualua (though oddly seemed the only one to notice he booked Murphy - people around us were complaining that he didn't even get a yellow when he had), but my friend said a yellow was fair. I think too often we look at things through brighton tinted glasses, which is fine when you're in the stand and calling for a decision, but not so much post match when you're assessing the ref. Buckley was going to ground far too easily. That first penalty shout of ours was when we headed the ball against the guys arm when he wasn't even looking because the ball had gone over him. Another handball claim had clearly hit the player's chest, a pass back when there was clearly no intent to pass from the defender, etc

For me, his main problems were Murphy staying on the pitch for later bookable offences, and handling the way they were wasting time. I know the 6sec rule for keepers is a loose one these days, but every time he held it for at least twice that, frequently three times as long as he is allowed to, throw ins were ridiculous, and how there was only 3 mins injury time in the first half is beyond me.

A lot of unfair abuse against the ref in the ground tonight, and I'm not sure it helps.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I really want to go watch some championship football as a neutral and see if it's just me being biased.. But we do seem to get some terrible referees...

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
He just would not make any big calls - they should have had at least one sending off, there were a good few decent pen shouts, but the only one he gave was given by the linesman. Very poor performance once again from a ref at the Amex

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I just wish referees would book someone early for time wasting so it would cut it out for the rest of the game. The ref last night spoke to Murphy on two separate occasions about it but still didn't book anyone and then hardly added any time at the end of both halves.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The useless halfwit of a ref liked giving a yellow but was never going to give a red and I felt all a Blackburn player had to do was fall over to get a free kick, joke of a ref

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
For me, his main problems were Murphy staying on the pitch for later bookable offences, and handling the way they were wasting time. I know the 6sec rule for keepers is a loose one these days, but every time he held it for at least twice that, frequently three times as long as he is allowed to, throw ins were ridiculous, and how there was only 3 mins injury time in the first half is beyond me.

A lot of unfair abuse against the ref in the ground tonight, and I'm not sure it helps.

Did you not notice Hoskins' injury?

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Should they have had a hand ball penalty, just before we got ours?

It certainly looked like, from a distance, the kind of thing that gets given.

Happened very quickly and ref may not have seen it, but it did look like El-Abd's hand made contact with the ball. Was certainly relieved when the ref didn't give it.

slartibartfast

Sep 11, 2004
Henfield
So.... Hoskins is down for at least 5 minutes before being helped off. Plus Blackburn taking forever to actually take any goalkicks etc.... so the ref adds on 3 minutes at the end of the first half? Genius!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I just wish referees would book someone early for time wasting so it would cut it out for the rest of the game.

Indeed. The rules are there and it's only the referees that can apply them.

How about a rule where the captain of the offending side gets booked for each time wasting incident? I'm sure time wasting would quickly disappear if that was the case.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
The thing that irritated me was the time wasting. He booked their 'keeper for time-wasting after the penalty which then seemed to make him utterly immune from then on! I have never seen a 'keeper have more posession than he did and the majority of the time, the ball was in his hands. It's that "I can't send someone off for time-wasting" un-written rule that makes refs bottle decisions like that.

Other than that, the ref was inconsistent at best but I've come to expect that shoddy standard now. He was better that Atwell at the weekend though.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Unfortunately it's becoming the norm at the Amex awful ref's!

Yes but why!?
It's getting so frustrating, and besides our inability to score from the myriad of chances created, I think it's one of the main reasons for so many draws.
Is there some kind of resentment towards us as a club??

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
Just about better than Atwell- but that diesn't take much! Chickened out of giving a second card to anyone- the number 3 should have gone for dissent after the penalty and Murphy could have gone any number of times; apart from getting a straight red for the disgraceful tackle! The best way to describe the last two refs- two little men with little ability!

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
Who says the East Stand doesn't make any noise.

There was a near hand ball as it rolled up his chest, which got us all shouting.
So when it did catch matey's arm, lino was in no doubt.

Are you sure, which one?

no-doubt.jpg

Attachments

• No+Doubt.jpg
    No+Doubt.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 28

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne
Yes but why!?
It's getting so frustrating, and besides our inability to score from the myriad of chances created, I think it's one of the main reasons for so many draws.
Is there some kind of resentment towards us as a club??

They are all jealous of our lovely home and pies! I think the ref's would be less of an issue / NO issue if we were winning 2 or 3 nil every game!

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Not going to complain about him after he didn't give them a penalty for the sort of hand ball we would have been screaming for a spot kick were it by a Blackburn player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports