Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The recovery appears to be continuing!!

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Seeing as you said there is practically no unionsation and the amount of strikes coming up, the Royal Mail,Teachers,Scottish power workers. (Which of course you have'nt answered yet!) There is very little poverty....not saying none...you want poverty take a look at rural India,North Korea...how many of our 'poor' have widescreen televisions,Iphones,computers...

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Good news although the usual suspects will be along to spread negativity to proceedings...

UK jobless total falls by 18.000 to 2.49m

The number of unemployed in the UK fell by 18,000 to 2.49 million in the June-August period, official figures show.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) also said the number of people claiming Job seeker's Allowance last month fell by 41,700 to 1.35 million.

The unemployment rate drops to 7.7%, down from 7.8% the previous quarter.

The number of people in work, both full-time and part-time, reached a record high of 29.87 million in the quarter, up 155,000.

Oh and employment has reached a record high, some on here were suggesting doom for many years to come...oh and of course we should make more things!!

Fishing surely . I'm sure it's all covered in the thread but maybe you should stop believing everything you are fed via the bbc .

Have a look around , speak to people , read , it's very very bad out there and this government are taking us down . Not that labour would not have vested interest either but honestly get educated about it

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Very true. And soon you'll be able to borrow against your house again..... to buy yourselves even further out of recession. Keep going everyone!

Just like the reds advocated, our previous next door neighbours had a 125% mortgage on their house

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Have a look around , speak to people , read , it's very very bad out there and this government are taking us down .

really, this talking down everything is getting dull now. every metric from any source has shown improvment in the past 6-12 months. things like construction growth, PMI, total hours worked... the only poor numbers are inflation and fall in public sector pay (though apparently that because it currently includes RBS and Lloyds and we've demanded they cut bonuses). anecdotally, my train is busier, the tube is busier, the shops and cafes at lunch time are alot busier than a year ago. yeah, i live/work in a relative isolated bubble, but its turning around all the same.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
i really cannot truly believe the OP really believes that the UK is on its way to a steady economic footing.

do some research please.....or just take a walk around a few high streets.

unklbrian

Feb 4, 2012
really, this talking down everything is getting dull now. every metric from any source has shown improvment in the past 6-12 months. things like construction growth, PMI, total hours worked... the only poor numbers are inflation and fall in public sector pay (though apparently that because it currently includes RBS and Lloyds and we've demanded they cut bonuses). anecdotally, my train is busier, the tube is busier, the shops and cafes at lunch time are alot busier than a year ago. yeah, i live/work in a relative isolated bubble, but its turning around all the same.

But the real answer will only come when some figures are released about how much money is being paid out in benefits including to pad out minimum wage part time employment ...... my gut feeling is that figure will be far worse than it should be ...
I suppose if you work in an isolated bubble you wont see it till then

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Just on the road to recovery then labour will jump on the energy increase bandwagon and the party that dug the hole will be back in power....great, so many voters are clueless or on benefits :down:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Seeing as you said there is practically no unionsation and the amount of strikes coming up, the Royal Mail,Teachers,Scottish power workers. (Which of course you have'nt answered yet!) There is very little poverty....not saying none...you want poverty take a look at rural India,North Korea...how many of our 'poor' have widescreen televisions,Iphones,computers...

Ignore the few large strikes that are being talked about. I'm referring to the lack of Union representation in small companies Over the last few years there has been progressive erosion of the strength and rights of Unions leading to a huge number of workers who are unrepresented and effectively bullied by employers in to accepting poor pay and conditions. There is huge pressure to keep a job even though the pay and conditions worsen.
I work in a area of the high street where the company franchise owners expect year on year growth although there is no structured annual pay review. An example of this is a colleague who had 2 pay increases in 10 years and is petrified of asking for a rise as she may lose her job just for asking. So, no pay increases, sustained inflation, essential costs such as petrol,gas,electricity and rail travel increases ABOVE inflation leads us to a situation where a huge swathe of workers are living like drones.
Hence my original post stating that there has never been a better time to be a tory businessman. I hope this simplifies things for you now ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here