Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The recovery appears to be continuing!!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Don't know what hat you've been hiding under....no unionisation....so the Royal Mail is not going on strike then...the Scottish power workers were threatening to strike...if you don't like your pay and conditions in the first place...why take the job then moan about it...

How odd ? I don't wear a hat ? It is the erosion of workers pay and conditions that is the problem, an employer can alter a employees contract almost with impunity and often do. Have you not noticed that companies expect year on year growth from their business but tell workers that times are hard so there is not going to be any pay increase this year ?( " We are all in this together ).

Have you not noticed that the majority of workers have had their bonuses cut or reduced and seen their real earnings decline ? so, they either have to take it on the chin or look for another job which, most likely will have poorer pay and conditions than the one they are already in.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Ah! So you do then....are you saying you've used them? no problem if you have...I can only go by what the fellow up the road does...it is open to abuse and any system that is will be abused

You have to be assessed as needing the assistance of a food bank by the authorities, you then get vouchers to exchange at the food bank. The process differs slightly depending upon who runs the food bank but they are broadly similar. All systems are open to abuse but I struggle to believe that food banks are particularly abused.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just caught a couple of minutes of 5Live debating the teachers strike, a chap was moaning that teachers were not living in the real world and that he worked for one of the " Big 4 Retailers " obviously a supermarket, " I quite often have to travel for 2 1/2 hours to do my 10 hour shift and my wife who is a teacher has it so easy, she just just gets home and does her lesson planning in front of Eastenders...."

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Agreed, my partner is in part time work because she couldn't find full time work. That said, it's a hell of a lot better than when she was on JSA !!!!!! We can knock the number of part time jobs that have been created but it's still better than no job creation.

And some have more than one part time job to give them the income of a full time one ....

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
A recovery is under way,there is no doubt about that;but, of course, not everyone is feeling better off with wage restrictions and food inflation etc. playing their part in making many people feeling financially squeezed.
As always,there are no easy answers,but those on the left who think that life would be better if the present Government were instantly replaced by Milliband's motley crew are really deluding themselves.
In the longer term,the aim must be to take more of the lower paid out of paying income tax altogether and generally allowing the population to keep more of their own money to spend as they see fit.That will make people feel better off and provide a platform for sustained growth.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
really don't know whats the matter life really is good

unless you are a British Gas customer

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
How odd ? I don't wear a hat ? It is the erosion of workers pay and conditions that is the problem, an employer can alter a employees contract almost with impunity and often do. Have you not noticed that companies expect year on year growth from their business but tell workers that times are hard so there is not going to be any pay increase this year ?( " We are all in this together ).

Have you not noticed that the majority of workers have had their bonuses cut or reduced and seen their real earnings decline ? so, they either have to take it on the chin or look for another job which, most likely will have poorer pay and conditions than the one they are already in.

Beware of landlords (even Councils) changing your contracts as well. I did not sign the new contract.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just caught a couple of minutes of 5Live debating the teachers strike, a chap was moaning that teachers were not living in the real world and that he worked for one of the " Big 4 Retailers " obviously a supermarket, " I quite often have to travel for 2 1/2 hours to do my 10 hour shift and my wife who is a teacher has it so easy, she just just gets home and does her lesson planning in front of Eastenders...."

At least I now know where the line is drawn. Thanks.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A recovery is under way.

Very true. And soon you'll be able to borrow against your house again..... to buy yourselves even further out of recession. Keep going everyone!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
and the Chinese are on their way
to get us out of the shit

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
The Royal Mail has it's share issues which most of the union members hold....and it wants to strike!! Good thinking Batman...foot,shoot,in the...comes to mind.
Perhaps because they can see that what's coming down the pipeline isn't sufficiently sweetened by making some money off the shares. If so then, working as I am in a recently privatised branch of the public sector, I fully agree with them.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This can only go one way. The collapse of a major U.S. food bank leading to food banking worldwide being torn apart...

Too many fat cat food bankers dining out too long on tinned hot dogs and Ambrosia creamed rice.

unklbrian

Feb 4, 2012

so are you saying that everybody should travel for 2 1/2 hrs to earn a minimum wage ?

Not to sure what the point you're trying to prove is ?

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Did anyone hear the news today that simply being in work, even full time work, will not enough to get out of poverty and debt in future? Assuming that comes to pass then the jobless figures do become a little pointless sadly.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
so are you saying that everybody should travel for 2 1/2 hrs to earn a minimum wage ?

Not to sure what the point you're trying to prove is ?

The caller was intimating that because he had to work his nuts off he thought his wife the teacher had it easy by finishing off her working day by working mid evening with the telly on. Point is that nearly everyone is working their nuts off for less money than we were earning a few years ago. simples ?

unklbrian

Feb 4, 2012
The caller was intimating that because he had to work his nuts off he thought his wife the teacher had it easy by finishing off her working day by working mid evening with the telly on. Point is that nearly everyone is working their nuts off for less money than we were earning a few years ago. simples ?

'the race to the bottom' has started ... simples

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here