Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The reasons why i love Mark Lawrenson

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Lawrenson sold for 900 bags not a million profit, he was great BUT not the genius Ward was... What they did after was irrelevant, do you check up on all your ex's to see how they've improved in the sack since you and then judge?

Yes, don't you?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Great piece! Really enjoyed it the first time around in TSLR. I think Mark Lawrenson would have been a success whoever he joined after Brighton, whereas Peter Ward was probably much more dependent upon having the right striking partner. His 1979/80 season showed he had what it took to be a success in the First Division.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I agree with your comments, especially are he described the award that Manuel Neuer received last night as smething off the Adam Family......classic :clap::clap::clap:
After the rather mixed response to his co-commentary in last night's World Cup Final I thought i'd dig out the piece I wrote about Mark Lawrenson for TSLR late last year. Cards on the table I think he's the best Albion player in the last 40 years. I try and explain why here
"The Reasons Why I Love Mark Lawrenson"
http://jemstone.wordpress.com/2014/07/14/the-reasons-why-i-love-mark-lawrenson/
Any other contenders ? I'd say possibly Peter Ward but I make the case why not in the blog.
Vicente doesn't count...

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I did like Clough but the story what he did to Wardy he said to Ward I didn't play in the FA cup final so you not either! Dick head

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Lawrenson is a shite match commentator though, and has the voice and appearance of a miserable old lady.

Grapes of Wrath

Nov 1, 2009
Worthing
i find his commentary quite amusing actually - dont understand why everyone is so negative about it.

I mentioned at work today that I reckon his sister got rogered by a German as he is quite anti Germany in his commentary and seems to take delight in highlighting their fouls and faults.

For the Albion, he was probably the classiest player we have ever had. The way he used to split defences with his surging runs was a joy to see.

I was saying last season that we have a player who whilst a long way from being the finished article, has similarities to Lawro. You heard it here first, Rohan Ince the new black Mark Lawrenson! Lets hope so.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Grapes of Wrath;6448581I was saying last season that we have a player who whilst a long way from being the finished article said:
That's the last para of my piece ;)

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Grapes of Wrath;6448581I was saying last season that we have a player who whilst a long way from being the finished article said:
I mean that's the last para of my piece :)

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Lawrenson is easily the best player I have seen for us. Why he wasted an international career with Ireland has always been beyond me, because he would have strolled into the England team of that period.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
his goal against Southampton lives long in the memory

if Ulloa's worth 7 mill,what would Lawro of been worth in today's market?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
his goal against Southampton lives long in the memory

if Ulloa's worth 7 mill,what would Lawro of been worth in today's market?

Do you mean Lawrenson's goal v Wolves?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Just wait a MURMENT.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
This argument over who's the better player Wardy or Lawro, could go on for ever.
I reckon Ward was the most important player the Albion ever had. Without his goals Brighton would never have climbed out of the old 3rd division and the so called glory years wouldn't have happened.
Where as Lawrenson is simply Brighton's best ever player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here