Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Real Solly March has Stepped Forward

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
no surprise to me at all, like Caskey a class act when confident and played in the correct position

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I was highly critical of him and vocally too in the first half for a couple of reasons- which I will come on to.

When I first took my seat I was really encouraged to see Bong with his hands on March's shoulders in the centre circle clearly explaining to him what they need to do today. He was animatedly geeing him up and looked to me to be saying come on, today we have to take it to them, me and you working as a unit to break them down. His hand gestures seemed to show that he wanted them to overlap, get wide, stay wide and take them on.

Then queue one or two misplaced passes, a couple of tussles where he looked lightweight and the confidence appeared sapped and he looked exhausted despite only being twenty minutes in.

Then came half time and what I can only assume was CH or NJ or CC taking him aside and making him believe in himself, telling him to stick to the wing where he's good instead of coming inside and being anonymous. Queue a total transformation and were it not for some ropey reffing - I thought he should have had a pen when Fabio appeared to push him over, both hands in his back and he went down. In my eyes if the Ref felt it wasn't a pen then why didn't he book March? Those kinds of decisions baffle everyone and leave a sour taste in the mouth regards the competency of officials. (Nevermind the fact that Fabio should have been sent off before this event.)

Were it not for a touch of bad luck then he would have certainly walked off with the MOM performance had one of the excellent deliveries resulted in a winner or better yet a goal for him. The one half MOM award is a rare beast and would have been thoroughly deserved.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Needs to improve end product and will then be fantastic. Mind you, if he had a great end product AND played like he did in the second half he'd be playing up a league.
Indeed - the fact he was supposedly subject to a sizeable bid from Southampton last summer would suggest coaches in the game believe the end product will come. He really does have everything else in his skill-set to be a real menace for even quite nimble-footed full-backs, as evidenced yesterday.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
KLL has become slower and more predictable, slows the game down, has only two tricks and had a good start but I feel that's him for the season, faded very quickly.
Don't forget he has chipped in with a few goals this season and will score more.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
KLL has become slower and more predictable, slows the game down, has only two tricks and had a good start but I feel that's him for the season, faded very quickly.

Don't agree at all re pace. His speed from a standing start is devastating and comfortably the best in the squad.

In terms of tricks, possibly yes you are right, however he can go either way using his two tricks, which is something Solly looks a long way from being able to achieve.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Don't agree at all re pace. His speed from a standing start is devastating and comfortably the best in the squad.

I think you're both right. I don't think KLL has exceptional pace over any sort of distance, but he is able to beat almost everyone over 5 yards from a standing start. I believe he's aware of this too which is why he'll often check, bring a defender to a stop before quickly generating the space for a shot or cross.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Awful first half brilliant second. If March just believes in himself more and is more decisive with what he wants to do, he can become a top player on the evidence of yesterdays second half.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
My concern is that he looked good after the right back had been booked. He played even better when the right back was given a final warning I really want him to come good but he falls under the JFC bracket for me - very good technically but seemingly too lightweight. Both look very good in international matches which tend to me more technical but it doesn't seem to transfer into the rough and tumble of the Championship often enough.

and the right back was booked for what? and then warned for doing what? Outplayed, out paced and out thought. who got him booked, who got him warned, who got him moved to left back, oh, that'll be Solly. Your comment is a little niaive

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Indeed - the fact he was supposedly subject to a sizeable bid from Southampton last summer would suggest coaches in the game believe the end product will come. He really does have everything else in his skill-set to be a real menace for even quite nimble-footed full-backs, as evidenced yesterday.
I think that that was down to his agent stirring things up, and it coinciding with that injury he had at the time.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yes, though he is learning, so hopefully it will come.

As part of his learning, is someone going to teach him how to use his right foot?

There was a moment towards the end of the game – when we seemed to be bombarding the Cardiff goal – that it sat up beautifully for him to have a shot, but because it was not on his left foot he couldn't do a thing with it. This has been my one major criticism of him for a few games now, but I'm happy to see him put in a great performance in that second half. HOWEVER, I'm not counting chickens *just* yet...

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Awful first half, bit better second half. At the moment a lot to do and nowhere near as good as Murphy or Lua Lua

I think you may end up eating your words on that one...Time will tell I guess.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I watched him more upfront and personal at the Crawley friendly, and I have to say he did not impress me. He was extremely lightweight and fell over whenever someone bigger gave him a bit of muscle. I think he is, and always will be, a confidence player, in so much as he has to believe in himself before he can shine. But if he does believe in himself I can see him being a top player. He showed glimmers of his outstanding skill in the second half v Cardiff. But I think he is a bit of a mummy's boy in so much as he always needs to get a pat on the head and be told how good he is, which he undoubtedly is.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Classic confidence player for me, and at the moment he looks very, very confident!

Edit - even used his right foot today [emoji4]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here