Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The rave scene...

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
It did not die, it split. You had some people getting into the happy hardcore, some went more to the house route and others into Jungle (Which became D&B). Im 38 this year, still love my music, I am off to a festival in Amsterdam in July. Still mixing deep house and techno, here is my latest mix added to youtube yesterday:)

I like. :thumbsup:

Southwest Seagull

Jul 3, 2013
Great tunes, especially the second one. Thanks.

I'm new to them as well. A friend recommended them so we checked them out on Sunday. Loved their set which was good mix of house and techno ranging from really tough beats to deft, lighter moments and a lot in between. Great stuff.

On the subject of posing for photos Berghain operates a very strict no photography policy...they ask for your phone at the door and place stickers over the lenses.

Saw them in Sheffield in November, very good as well.

The rave scene is alive and kicking I can confirm - it may be in a different guise and to a fewer amount of people but it is still there.

EDM has helped destroy it, a toxic genre if you ask me, full of terrible songs and DJs not much better than my nan. I think drug laws and increased police presence at events has not helped though of course.

Southwest Seagull

Jul 3, 2013
What has struck me the most though is the feeling of community. My favourite venue has all the usuals, same staff and same organisers each week/month - easy to make a good set of friends who tend to be fairly interesting.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Better organised events in towns that went to on all weekend
Later licensing hours
That generation got older
Police
Coke
Tories
The internet changed the way they are organised.
But there are still "raves" out there, even in this country. But they are better organised and rarely consist of a thousand ford fiestas trundling along in convoy out of a motorway services.
I went to one last summer outside Bristol, was okay.
In the 90's it was a fortnightly thing for me, now on e or twice a year. 4 day come downs chatting shite for 48 hours and random birds aren't as much fun as they used to be.

We don't wish to know about your drug taking habits young man ;)

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I'm not sure if the OP was talking about the dancing in a field side of rave or the music. Wouldn't know about the parties these days but the music is better than ever if you ask me.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
another post and run doug :facepalm:
regards
DR

image.jpg

"Tw at ! "

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The problem with these threads is that dance music culture is so broad that everyone ends up discussing their own experience at a particular time for a particular sub-genre. Also people tend to get confused if they grew out of something and moved on - just because you can't see what's happening anymore, doesn't mean it's not still happening! Underground music is thriving.

All I can say is that nothing has died and it never will - things just evolve and move in cycles. There's been a few reasons listed on this thread and they are all wrong - nothing can stop people gathering and dancing to music.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here