Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Pre-match trains tonight

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
6.22 from Eastbourne broke down and cancelled leaving a lot of pressure on Lewes - four carriage trains only

The old trains such a horrid noise and they are the oldest trains on the network, much older than in miles travelled and years old that I dread one day one will break down on the viaduct.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
We got in the queue at about 18.25 and left Brighton station at 19.12. In that time I believe a total of 7 carriages had left towards Falmer. Crazy.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Left my house in Portslade at ten to six. Got to my seat two minutes before kick off without any beer. The friend who came with us had to leave work and get her babysitter in early then couldn't get on an Eastbound train at Shoreham because it was too busy. Everything Coastway West was late which was annoying but nowhere near as annoying as the queue at Brighton.

Totally unsupervised and the IDIOT at the ticket barrier hadn't opened them, causing a crush through the one gate that was opened. He ignored us - actually pretended we weren't there - when questioned as to why. It nearly kicked off on our train as people were shepherded to a carriage that was completely full by the equally clueless train filling stewards.

Southern and Brighton Station's worst performance since we moved in to the Amex.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
It was all rather frustrating but I did have a chuckle when stuck in the queue at Brighton station got talking to a few Forest fans who thought the delays were caused by the "massive" contingent of their fans - (3,000) was his estimate!!! Oh and they also reminded me that they had won the European Cup. Shame We didn't get a chance to have a chat after the game[emoji6][emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Its your own fault if you leave it late! Pub at 3, station at five, train delayed for an hour, back to pub, train at half 6, in dicks with an hour before kickoff, win £100, get shitfaced, wake up with hangover from hell.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The trick is NEVER to trust the trains. Always get a train that is two or three trains earlier than the timetable suggests you need to get, on the assumption that they'll up-fukc when you most need them. And if you see a huge queue at the station, never join it, as you will be entering a whole new world of missed kick-off pain. Instead just get together with a couple of people in the queue and walk away. Share a cab to the ground or get the 25 bus. Pitiful that a rail service should be so prone to falling apart at the slightest 'incident', but it always has been and always will do. So you need a proper Plan B worked out in advance, because at some point in the season you're going to need to use it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The old trains such a horrid noise and they are the oldest trains on the network, much older than in miles travelled and years old that I dread one day one will break down on the viaduct.

reckon you're confused with the 3 car trains running the Brighton-Seaford route, which are considerably older than those running Eastbourne-Brighton.

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU

Those old banger square shaped trains with no bogs I thought we were only going to get them temporary as the inner London lines nicked the newer rolling stock for the Olympics but never returned them - maybe I'm wrong but they are waaaaaayy past their sell by date

The-Libertine

May 2, 2006
One very empty train to Falmer left from outside the area cordoned off for the queuing system at about 6.25. I came in on a Coastway west train and was just about to exit through the barriers and make my way to the queuing system when I saw a couple of supporters speaking to a guard on a train on Platform 5 (or 6?) who then got on it. The information screen very helpfully said nothing. Out of curiosity, I asked the guard and he told me it was going to Seaford and would call at Falmer. I got on the front carriage with about three people in the WHOLE carriage and could only look in disbelief as it went out of the station past the big queue of supporters waiting in the queuing system on the far side of the station!!!!!

Those old banger square shaped trains with no bogs I thought we were only going to get them temporary as the inner London lines nicked the newer rolling stock for the Olympics but never returned them - maybe I'm wrong but they are waaaaaayy past their sell by date

I asked a guard about this the other day and he told me that Southern had now decided that they will run them for another FIVE years.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Grand Central_3291.JPG

Ten past seven.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
IMG_3293.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3294.JPG
    IMG_3294.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 412

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Double whammy this shocking train service. Saw Amex bar staff with lanyards running up against this 1,000 queue

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Have the club or Southern explained this shambles yet?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Was all this chaos in Brighton really caused by an incident in Newhaven? And if it was it doesn't explain the total ineptitude of the staff with dealing with the queuing and trains leaving half empty.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
One very empty train to Falmer left from outside the area cordoned off for the queuing system at about 6.25. I came in on a Coastway west train and was just about to exit through the barriers and make my way to the queuing system when I saw a couple of supporters speaking to a guard on a train on Platform 5 (or 6?) who then got on it. The information screen very helpfully said nothing. Out of curiosity, I asked the guard and he told me it was going to Seaford and would call at Falmer. I got on the front carriage with about three people in the WHOLE carriage and could only look in disbelief as it went out of the station past the big queue of supporters waiting in the queuing system on the far side of the station!!!!!

I've been on that 'ghost train' before, by chance, and I posted about it at the time because I didn't know it was possible for a train to traverse West to East through Brighton like that.

What is totally shameful is how they are missing the obvious trick of advertising it as a Falmer train at all stops West of Brighton so it gets filled up with people who want to go straight to Falmer, easing the burden on Brighton by several hundred people. Incompetent, frankly.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Utter Chaos. Went for a drink in Lewes tried to get train from 6.30 pm, waited 30 minutes, could not get on the first one, waited 10 minutes for the next one, just got on but loads left behind, trains only had 3 carriages, got to Falmer 7.20 pm, so anyone leaving from Lewes after about 6.45 pm has little chance of getting to the game on time. Last time I tried the trains in the evening last season it was a total shambles again. It has got so bad it is not even worth trying to go to the game by Train for an evening game anymore

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here