Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Piranhas live in Brighton last night

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Great Brighton band, even though they are well before my time my dad's record collection means that I have always been a big fan. John Peel used to love them as well. They used to release stuff on the old Attrix record label before being signed to a bigger label.

Anyway, they played at the Prince Albert last night, first time they have played live in about 30 odd years. Boring Bob Grover and Jonny Helmer were on vocals and guitar and Zoot Alors was on Sax. Unfortunately the other two members weren't present, which is a shame as their drummer Dick Slexia was really good.

They played about 10 songs and it was a good laugh. Anyone else on here go? Any other Piranhas fans?

There are already some videos on youtube..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNOqYJ6XC2U

Last edited:

Dandyman

In London village.
One of my teenage memories is hearing Dick practising his drums in the next street to mine in Lewes. To think we have his band to blame for "Tom Hark"...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Damn... I completely forgot about that.

Bollocks, bollocks, bollocks

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
[yt]qeO243wtfg0[/yt]

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
I remember back in the day, Mr Murray, music teacher at Longhill, had something to do with the Piranhas but I never see his name mentioned. Anyone know what the story was, there?

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Back in the early 70's I played in a band called Squawk. We played a gig in the old church hall in Air Street before it was knocked down and the band we supported were called So And So Traveling whatsit's fronted by Bob Grover. :thumbsup:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Ah Attrix Records. Used to hang out in their shop on Sydney Street, 'cos I knew one of the guys in there from school (Stewy Jones). There was quite a nice little 'Brighton scene' going on in the early 1980s, around Attrix and (I think) Vaultage Records, and the Art College on Grand Parade - The Piranhas, Birds With Ears, The Chefs ('I was just a bunk up, for you to get your spunk up' sung by their female vocalist), The Objeks, Nicky and the Dots, etc.

:thumbsup:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I wonder if any of the younger Brighton fans when they're singing "LuaLua LuaLua" realise the Tom Hark tune is now primarily associated with Brighton's punk legends The Piranhas ?

portslade-by-sea

Jan 24, 2010
I was there, :thumbsup:

is there any footage of peter and the test tubes at that gig?

dont forget U.K SUBS at the hydrant sat 27th november.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I remember back in the day, Mr Murray, music teacher at Longhill, had something to do with the Piranhas but I never see his name mentioned. Anyone know what the story was, there?

He wasn't in the band at the time of "Tom Hark" but was the keyboard player when "Zambezi" was a hit and appeared on Top of the Pops in a pith helmet. The TV cameras came to Longhill along with the national 'papers and a load of kids had their photo taken lined up behind Boring Bob Grover for one of the articles.

The Piranhas also played a mini-gig in the school hall one day - can't remember what the occasion was though.

scooter1

How soon is now?
I was in the band that opened the All dayer yesterday at the Albert. It was a cracking day, great to see so many old faces, bearing in mind that i was 6 when the first Vaultage album came out. Yesterday was the brainchild of my uncle who runs punkbrighton | Home and getting the Piranhas was a major coup as they only agreed to do it a fortnight ago. The whole day went really smoothly considering it(as all these things do)had the potential to be a catastrophe. Massive thanks to Will at the Albert who was really accomodating all day. And best wishes to Atilla who was involved in some sort of motor accident(if I heard correctly) and couldn't be there

Dandyman

In London village.
Ah Attrix Records. Used to hang out in their shop on Sydney Street, 'cos I knew one of the guys in there from school (Stewy Jones). There was quite a nice little 'Brighton scene' going on in the early 1980s, around Attrix and (I think) Vaultage Records, and the Art College on Grand Parade - The Piranhas, Birds With Ears, The Chefs ('I was just a bunk up, for you to get your spunk up' sung by their female vocalist), The Objeks, Nicky and the Dots, etc.

Birds With Ears are definitely the WORST band ever to come out of Sussex. 30 years after seeing them at the Art College I still shudder at how terrible they were.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Great days! And all these classic long gone venues; Buchaneer, Alhambra, Art College Basement. Remember eating fairly horrible blue and yellow cake in Attrix Records when the Chefs EP came out.

Used to have all three Vaultage albums. Probably still have somewhere.

And I'm pretty sure you'll know this marvellous site. But just in case...

punkbrighton | Home

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
He wasn't in the band at the time of "Tom Hark" but was the keyboard player when "Zambezi" was a hit and appeared on Top of the Pops in a pith helmet. The TV cameras came to Longhill along with the national 'papers and a load of kids had their photo taken lined up behind Boring Bob Grover for one of the articles.

The Piranhas also played a mini-gig in the school hall one day - can't remember what the occasion was though.

Superb, thanks for that. Good times, he was a great teacher. I remember him encouraging us all to but a copy of Zambesi and help it up the charts.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Birds With Ears are definitely the WORST band ever to come out of Sussex. 30 years after seeing them at the Art College I still shudder at how terrible they were.

Good call! They were just about unlistenable. Some art school ponce called, if memory serves, Ian Smith in a top hat who seemed pretty sure he was the dogs bollox. Well he was half right... :lol:

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Does anyone have a link to their great Christmas single - "Well Away" ? I used to have it, but long lost sadly, would love to have it again for old times sake.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here