Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The People’s Republic of Brighton and Hove: Britain’s latest breakaway nation

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I think some people are taking it a bit too seriously, if you go on the facebook page it is all very tongue in cheek. Harmless fun.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
'Neighbouring Kemptown?' Does somebody want to put them right? (Obviously admitting half of Brighton voted in a Tory MP spoils the story somewhat).

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I know a lot of folk who are contributing to the page, and none of them are 'pretentious'. As someone said, it's harmless fun. Perhaps those who joyfully swim in the engulfing sea of blue might wish to start their own one.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I'm moving back in August now, 3 years have I wondered in the cultural wasteland that is Surrey. And it's Chelsea/Palace country. I live a stones throw from Chelsea training ground, the amount of wannabe's getting about in Chelsea training kit is laughable, I'm certain they genuinely think people will mistake them for players!
The plus side is the place is crawling with Clunge.

Putney/Barnes/Fulham/Chelsea/Hammersmith (at a push) a sea of beautiful women.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
What a load of pretentious b@llocks

Brighton & Hove for many is just a place to live in. Not a place to constantly show off about living in .

My word, you're right.

This is the left in the city trying to find its "unique" place in the country. Given the Kemptown constituency is arguably covering the more less well off areas, they've done well to show this city is "leftist" in thinking.
It's tragic, truly tragic that people think Brighton is anymore left wing than any other place...

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
My word, you're right.

This is the left in the city trying to find its "unique" place in the country. Given the Kemptown constituency is arguably covering the more less well off areas, they've done well to show this city is "leftist" in thinking.
It's tragic, truly tragic that people think Brighton is anymore left wing than any other place...

Well, to be fair it has to be more left wing them most of the rest of Sussex, otherwise we'd see other Labour or Green MPs locally. But it's a sea of blue.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
My word, you're right.

I'd say you are correct. I'm not sure why people associate Brighton with politics in the cultural manner they do.

Brighton's image is built around its diversity (another rotten buzzword in absence of anything better) and rebellion against the thinking of the provincial construct. Even people born and raised here seem to respond and think in an open minded way. Take NSC for example, its far more informed, engaging, and diverse than any other football forum I have come across.

I was raised in Brighton, and I haven't been anywhere else in this country quite like it. I love the place, and I'm proud to call it home.

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
We are different. Some people really want to think that we're no different from lots of other places in (the South of) England which are boring, suburban, pinched-face, narrow-minded, thick, selfish, cretinous, dull, ignorant, insular and instinctively do what the mainstream media tells them. But we are different, and it's great. Get over it :)

Brighton is different i grant you,but what gives you the twatish rights to say people in the rest of the south are "narrow-minded, thick, selfish, cretinous, dull, ignorant, insular" because they dont follow your political way of thinking.

What an ridiculous arrogant position to take......no wonder people think Labour supporters are the biggest moaners ever with this thinking going on.

With respect go fack yourself and your disgusting fascist ideology that everyone must conform to your way of thinking.

Grow up and act like an adult,the fact that some perceive you as some sort of mouthpiece for The Albion is frankly ridiculous and embarrassing when you come out with this type of bullshit.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Brighton is different i grant you,but what gives you the twatish rights to say people in the rest of the south are "narrow-minded, thick, selfish, cretinous, dull, ignorant, insular" because they dont follow your political way of thinking.

What an ridiculous arrogant position to take......no wonder people think Labour supporters are the biggest moaners ever with this thinking going on.

With respect go fack yourself and your disgusting fascist ideology that everyone must conform to your way of thinking.

Grow up and act like an adult,the fact that some perceive you as some sort of mouthpiece for The Albion is frankly ridiculous and embarrassing when you come out with this type of bullshit.

and to think people are saying Labour voters are throwing their toys out of the pram :lol:

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I'm not sure if anyone has ever seen the American comedy show Portlandia on Netflix? Every time I watch it I think of Brighton. It so easily could be re-made for UK audiences with Be-Righton as its setting.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
and to think people are saying Labour voters are throwing their toys out of the pram :lol:

Like I said on the other thread there are a lot of angry Tory's about at the moment. Apparently winning was not enough to cheer them up.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
What a load of pretentious b@llocks

Brighton & Hove for many is just a place to live in. Not a place to constantly show off about living in .

Glad moved out 6 years ago The people that have moved into Brighton have turned it into a place I don't recognise anymore. They seriously need to remove their heads from their backside.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010

This.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
We are different. Some people really want to think that we're no different from lots of other places in (the South of) England which are boring, suburban, pinched-face, narrow-minded, thick, selfish, cretinous, dull, ignorant, insular and instinctively do what the mainstream media tells them. But we are different, and it's great. Get over it :)

I was wondering when you would surface, almost a week now, still angry or are you getting ready for a busy 5 years?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here