[Albion] The penalty

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Yes, I didn't see it either. Aaron didn't appeal it - he just rolled about in agony. We were all wrong.

The VAR team and refs have been criticised for not correcting referee errors when missing pens. On this occasion, probably after prompting from the VAR directorate in Referee HQ, they got it right. New rubric. In response to howls of anguish about 'not given one pen' accusations.

And we would have been sick if tonight the MOTD analysis showed we had been robbed of a penalty today.

That said, I accept that the clear and obvious rule is a grey area (recently admitted) and that the VAR rubric is far from settled. There will be more anguish till it is settled.

It may take years before all the details are ironed out, but with the option of no VAR or eventually VAR after endless VAR debate, we have gone Hard VAR with post VAR introduction adjustments. It is what the majority of those voting (i.e., Everybody) wanted. :shrug:

In the meantime, we got and scored a penalty and won the game so, for this evening at least, I don't give a shit and am toasting VAR and all it's upholstery. :drool:

Not having a pop but the last thing I'm interested in is the MOTD analysis...how those dinosaurs carry on earning £30000 a episode or whatever I'll never know. Rather watch a decent game of football

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
From my seat in the North West, Connolly screamed in quite a high pitch tone after the ‘challenge’ was made.
From my point of view I thought he landed awkwardly and had rolled his ankle. Fair play to Connolly he felt the challenge and made the most of it...which resulted in a penalty for us.

Anyone see Pickford squaring up to Stephens and giving him verbals during the VAR referral? Stephens just laughed at him.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not having a pop but the last thing I'm interested in is the MOTD analysis...how those dinosaurs carry on earning £30000 a episode or whatever I'll never know. Rather watch a decent game of football

:lolol: :thumbsup:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Looked a really soft penalty to me. The Everton player seemed to have his eye on the ball. Tho I guess he might have just been playing crafty. The amount of time taken for the VAR decision suggests they were none too sure either.

How many " really soft penalties " have we conceded in the last 2 seasons ? I think it's great we have got " the rub of the green " for once.

Last edited:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Tell you what, when we get our next controversial VAR call agin us, I'm happy to accept it, if it is correct, and you can bounce this and BURN me if I don't.

Thats sums up VAR, There should be no such thing as controversial VAR. It came in to deal with obvious errors. Not just to have different opinion to ref.

Gotsmanov

Aug 13, 2003
Brighton
Soft or not is irrelevant. Fouls are fouls, accidental or otherwise. There was a key moment at the 2007 rugby world cup final. After 2.5 mins of review, they (rightly) ruled out an England try. No one remembers that.Today took the same time, but the decision was correct. The point is they got it working in Rugby 12 years ago. Twelve years ago!

Where there is grey area is video frame rates and offsides. If the technology is unable to capture the precise moment of striking of the ball, then play needs to be allowed to continue /benefit to attacker ("can you see any reason not to award the goal?") .

Today, there's a fan mentality that probably needs to adjust in football as much as VAR technologies need to be factored in. To help, better ref-mike broadcasts should be made available so that we feel more included in the drama of the spectacle.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
From my seat in the North West, Connolly screamed in quite a high pitch tone after the ‘challenge’ was made.
From my point of view I thought he landed awkwardly and had rolled his ankle. Fair play to Connolly he felt the challenge and made the most of it...which resulted in a penalty for us.

Anyone see Pickford squaring up to Stephens and giving him verbals during the VAR referral? Stephens just laughed at him.

Pickford appears unable to grow up. Last season ‘offering out’ mocking Newcastle fans at SJP after his errors had handed Everton an unlikely defeat from the jaws of a 2-0 win.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
If I was an Everton fan I would be fuming tonight. Which no doubt they are

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Thats sums up VAR, There should be no such thing as controversial VAR. It came in to deal with obvious errors. Not just to have different opinion to ref.

But did it though? I thought it was brought in so that important but contentious decisions could be correct, and corrected if the ref got it wrong. ???

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
If I was an Everton fan I would be fuming tonight. Which no doubt they are

And this is football in a nutshell. Tonight Uncle, you are NOT fuming, it's called " Our Turn-ism " … but next week ?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
And this is football in a nutshell. Tonight Uncle, you are NOT fuming, it's called " Our Turn-ism " … but next week ?

I will probably be pissed off about something. It is an evens chance

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Soft or not is irrelevant. Fouls are fouls, accidental or otherwise. There was a key moment at the 2007 rugby world cup final. After 2.5 mins of review, they (rightly) ruled out an England try. No one remembers that.Today took the same time, but the decision was correct. The point is they got it working in Rugby 12 years ago. Twelve years ago!

Where there is grey area is video frame rates and offsides. If the technology is unable to capture the precise moment of striking of the ball, then play needs to be allowed to continue /benefit to attacker ("can you see any reason not to award the goal?") .

Today, there's a fan mentality that probably needs to adjust in football as much as VAR technologies need to be factored in. To help, better ref-mike broadcasts should be made available so that we feel more included in the drama of the spectacle.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

I'm sorry but there are a few more grey areas. Are you saying that ALL professionally trained referees and VAR referees would see the same way? ...In a game where players are constantly trying to fool them? They've really got to come a long way. It's impossible and really quite boring in the extreme.

And then there's the offside rule with miniscule decisions either way..if obvious then fair enough to overrule..but they've been overruling millimetres in their opinion.

And then there's the free kick Watford were disallowed handball v Us first game of season..ridiculous ��

Football now can't be compared with rugby..it's not an honest game. 20 years of VAR may help but I'm not confident

Last edited:

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Might as well not have a referee. Every decision should have a person maybe 50 miles away analysing in a room with 10 different view computer screens.

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
It appears that the is the first time VAR has been used to award a penalty that has not been given by the ref. Not sure if that is accurate but that's what they said on R5 and they should know. They are experts after all.

Anyway I'm sure we'll get a good and fair hearing on MOTD at the end of the programme ..... again.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Might as well not have a referee. Every decision should have a person maybe 50 miles away analysing in a room with 10 different view computer screens.

Yep, been saying the same on every VAR thread. It’s the logical progression, like driverless cars and pilotless planes - no-one feels safe, but it’s possible!

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Ridiculous decision. I could just about understand it if the ref had given it and then it had been overturned, but for a professional referee, replaying it over and over and then deciding that was a penalty was a joke.

I hate VAR and stupid decisions like this will hopefully hasten it's demise.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
I humbly accept it was a pen ..as the referee gave it 😉 But it's not the game I grew up watching (accept some improvements needed to be made!) ..but gone too far...will that suffice? I'm not looking for argument just my ipinion

Is this some high tech viewpoint, or are you from Jamaica? :smile:

miffy6

Mar 7, 2009
PEN.gif

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports