Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The pass that deserves it's own thread

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Dunk should have replaced Greer half way through this season.

He has everything in his game to go a long way, covers ground quicker than Greer and can pick a pass out unlike Greer.

Would hope he partners Upson next season or a quality new signing in the summer.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
I've said it for as long as anyone's listened on here or elsewhere, Dunk will go onto play lower/mid top-flight football with or without us. Technically the boy is extremely gifted for a centre half, tonight alone he showed more technique and vision than Greer has in three years (that's not a dig at Greer who has been excellent for us). He's a talent, he just needs to cut out lapses of concentration which I think will come with age and consistent first team football.

I'd rather have a young Championship standard centre back whose main flaw is occasional lapses of concentration, than one who who hasn't got a footballing brain. We need to keep him.

Dec 29, 2011
He's impressed in every game he's played this season. It's an important stage of his career, and regular first team football now may be the difference between being an established PL defender in the future or being a nobody. He won't want to sit on the bench much longer. Extend his contract, make him first choice CB alongside Upson, and let him learn off the ex England international.

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
Apart from the juggling act in front of The Kop and that dreadful tackle at Smellhurst, Lewis Dunk has the potential to be an international defender, committed, his tackling is almost always spot on and if there is a vital block to be made Lewis is the man to make it. He is starting to show excellent vision and reading the game better.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
He pings the passes about like a quarterback. Very impressive. He'll be outta here if he's not first choice next season.
Wouldn't surprise me if he was dropped again for Saturday however well he played tonight. The same thing happened when he last had a little run in the team and was also very impressive. I hope he keeps his place.

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Upson and Dunk. Could be a great pairing, as Greer vulnerable on occasions like selling himself to allow Dobbie an undefended shot.
Have either Upson or Dunk got the leadership/organisational skills of Greer ... he does marshall the defence well.

Didn't Upson have a stint as captain at West Ham?
He's always looked like a captain to me, Surprised he didn't replace Greer when he got the red a while back.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
30 odd years ago before all footy was on TV shoot magazine would have done a drawing page of this pass indicating all the key movements and a big #### off arrow of the pass trajectory.

30 odd years ago i had to imagine through shoot what the pass from Emlyn Hughes to Kenny Dalglish might have looked like,the one everyone was talking about.

Last night.....a quick look up and a small piece of wonderful

double page spread for Mr Dunk please.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Shame we dont still have Steve Cook. What a long term class pairing him and Dunk could have become for many years.

Agree , think it may of been down to that f'ing courtcase .
Wish we had kept cook a big club will have him next season and Dunk i reckon now the Liverpool game is forgotten.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I don't envy Oscar having to pick the side. Our problem is we don't have many positions where an individual is vastly greater than his competition. Only really Kuzsczak, Ward and Ulloa.

Dunk has huge potential and out of preference I'd love to see him start regularly but both Greer and Upson are worth their place but neither can play all season due to age and niggles.

Oscar has done well to give a number of youngsters some experience this season which may well pay off next year as they establish themselves into our squad. We are only 1 or 2 players away from a very decent squad especially if we can work out how to break down sides who intentionally 'park the bus'

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
If Upson has one more good year in him i would look to make him captain and play Dunk along side him. He is very comfortable on the ball and needs to be given game time now. He could be a club CB for the next 10 years even at a higher level but he needs to be played. If we don't give him the time someone else will

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Yep......I had to check back and double take on who passed it. BRILLIANT.

Why did you have to check back? Dunk is the only one who looks up and is prepared to knock the ball that distance. Greer just pass sideways or smacks it to the opposition keeper.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Wish we had kept cook a big club will have him next season

Let's hope so, and for a suitably large fee, as Bournemouth have to pay us a third of their profit on him.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
He pings the passes about like a quarterback. Very impressive. He'll be outta here if he's not first choice next season.
He has moved beyond the traditional Elphick hoofball,.... I do like how he has developed, but he still needs experience next to him, he does flap a bit at times. Next season is a key one for him, and yes, I think he may push for a move if he isnt used.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
With sumptuous not being a word I use, I just thought I'd look and check it really was the adjective I wanted:-

sumptuous
ˈsʌm(p)tjʊəs/Submit
adjective
splendid and expensive-looking.
"the banquet was a sumptuous, luxurious meal"
synonyms: lavish, luxurious, deluxe, opulent, magnificent, resplendent, gorgeous, splendid, grand, extravagant, lush, lavishly appointed, palatial, princely, rich, costly, expensive, impressive, imposing; informal plush, ritzy, swanky; informal swish

Turns out it was.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
He won header after header on the edge of our box. Watching on the TV it seemed that every minute or so Yeovil put the ball in to the edge of the box and Dunk won the header.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here