Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official Sir Bradley of Wiggo's Hour World Record attempt - Sunday 6pm, thread.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Can I take from that I'm not alone in thinking BW didn't 'put the record out of reach'.

Obviously it was an epic achievement, and fantastically done.
Plenty of people will fail to reach that mark.

But I couldn't help thinking aside from the Sky hyperbole (I know, I know) Dowsett, Martin & Cancellara have been left thinking 'hmmm ok'.
Instead of 'fook that'.

Agreed, 54.5 is not out of reach. Manchester on a rainy morning, 56km is possible (for Wiggins at least), I could see Dowsett having a go at that but Cancellara and Martin with their lack of track skills definitely would not. 54.5? I think we will see all three have a go, and I think Martin will beat it, if he spends long enough beforehand practicing on the track. If it was held on a road, Martin would beat it right now.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Can I take from that I'm not alone in thinking BW didn't 'put the record out of reach'.

Obviously it was an epic achievement, and fantastically done.
Plenty of people will fail to reach that mark.

But I couldn't help thinking aside from the Sky hyperbole (I know, I know) Dowsett, Martin & Cancellara have been left thinking 'hmmm ok'.
Instead of 'fook that'.
56k was "put it on the shelf", 55k would put all but Martin off. As it stands, faster track and good weather means someone only needs to do 53.5 equivalent.

I think it won't last more than 18 months.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Agreed, 54.5 is not out of reach. Manchester on a rainy morning, 56km is possible (for Wiggins at least), I could see Dowsett having a go at that but Cancellara and Martin with their lack of track skills definitely would not. 54.5? I think we will see all three have a go
I guess that is the advantage Wiggins has, even when he was blowing it out his backside yesterday, he still looked amazingly comfortable.

I think Martin will beat it, if he spends long enough beforehand practicing on the track. If it was held on a road, Martin would beat it right now.
Esp if there's an Alp or two in the middle.

Martin's Tour last year was amazing.
(Spot the man getting excited already!)

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I guess that is the advantage Wiggins has, even when he was blowing it out his backside yesterday, he still looked amazingly comfortable.

Esp if there's an Alp or two in the middle.

Martin's Tour last year was amazing.
(Spot the man getting excited already!)

Banning Boardmans machine but now allowing pursuit bikes & space age hats instead of what Eddie & others used (road bike?) makes it all a bit of a mess, does it not?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Banning Boardmans machine but now allowing pursuit bikes & space age hats instead of what Eddie & others used (road bike?) makes it all a bit of a mess, does it not?
No it doesn't.

In hindsight banning Boardman et al was the right move, they were clearly heading in an F1 direction.
That would have transferred onto the road.

As it stands now, one of the criteria for the likes of Chris Froome is ALL their kit has to be available to the general public.

So today you can buy everything Froome will be using in this years Tour, including his TT bike, and ride it on the entire route.
Plus it'll not be as expensive as you think.

That TT bike is the same model used by Wiggins.

Sure BW's bike was aerodynamically engineered to the last millimetre, but (I think) it still has to be within the UCI TT bike remit.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You'll need a black line to ride as close as you can too. Creosote on the grass might do the trick. :thumbs:
Or hang onto the gyratory washing line.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
No it doesn't.

In hindsight banning Boardman et al was the right move, they were clearly heading in an F1 direction.
That would have transferred onto the road.

As it stands now, one of the criteria for the likes of Chris Froome is ALL their kit has to be available to the general public.

So today you can buy everything Froome will be using in this years Tour, including his TT bike, and ride it on the entire route.
Plus it'll not be as expensive as you think.

That TT bike is the same model used by Wiggins.

Sure BW's bike was aerodynamically engineered to the last millimetre, but (I think) it still has to be within the UCI TT bike remit.

Where in Brighton can I buy Wiggo's bike then?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Where in Brighton can I buy Wiggo's bike then?
Don't know about Brighton but The Cycle Store in Worthing stock Pinarellos and they'll get you one.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here