Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official ***Palace will blow it thread***

FinchleyEagle

Nov 19, 2012
I love the title of this thread, its full of hope and resentment ! I can imagine one or two Brighton fans crouching on their knees, rocking backward and forward, hands clasped together praying 'Oh please let them blow it, oh please, oh please oh please...' :lol:

To be fair I'd be doing the same.

If you have a good money man and the financial set up is ok, then getting all those people in is definitely a big plus. You then have money in the bank but then thats only the beginning, you need to get the right setup, the right people in place, talent scouts, coaches etc. Barber seems to have his head screwed on, but with losing £8m a year (according to him on the beeb) its going to be a fine balancing act. But I have to admit, the crowds you lot have got this season are very impressive so you've got step 1, and while the amex is good, its personally too far away from the pitch for my taste and loses some atmosphere.

But anyway, our losses are smaller (due to lack of new stadium I imagine) but fortunately our academy is good and we can sell one of the graduates for £15m. So with our losses between £3m & £5m a season depending who you listen to, and £15m on top of the couple of mill we got pre-season for Clyne, Scannell & Ambrose, I'd go so far as to suggest that even with your big crowds, your losses means that financially we are currently much better off than you are.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I love the title of this thread, its full of hope and resentment ! I can imagine one or two Brighton fans crouching on their knees, rocking backward and forward, hands clasped together praying 'Oh please let them blow it, oh please, oh please oh please...' :lol:

If you have a good money man and the financial set up is ok, then getting all those people in is definitely a big plus. You then have money in the bank but then thats only the beginning, you need to get the right setup, the right people in place, talent scouts, coaches etc. Barber seems to have his head screwed on, but with losing £8m a year (according to him on the beeb) its going to be a fine balancing act. But I have to admit, the crowds you lot have got this season are very impressive so you've got step 1, and while the amex is good, its personally too far away from the pitch for my taste and loses some atmosphere.

But anyway, our losses are smaller (due to lack of new stadium I imagine) but fortunately our academy is good and we can sell one of the graduates for £15m. So with our losses between £3m & £5m a season depending who you listen to, and £15m on top of the couple of mill we got pre-season for Clyne, Scannell & Ambrose, I'd go so far as to suggest that even with your big crowds, your losses means that financially we are currently much better off than you are.

I tooK my inspiration from the anti Brighton ones on the Palace BBS- NOW THAT'S IRONY!!!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Eh, too far from the pitch, how do you propose getting closer, hover boards or a trapeze setup.

It's easy of course to avoid building up a big loss to create massive bank charges and interest when you can write your debt off every so often without effecting assets such as an academy.

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
this is the exciting stage of the season.....anything can happen and probably will,has a team ever missed out on promotion with a 30 goal striker before?

'Blowing it' (oh er) would be a Cardiff, a Leicester or one of the 3 Prem teams from last year, not going up. Teams that have huge budgets and have spent big. Blowing it would be a team 11 points ahead of 3rd in mid-Feb, not going up. Blowing it, would be a team that had spent £4.5 million on their strike force, not going up. We are none of those teams. Instead, we are a team that have defied the pundits and bookies already, a lot having us down as relegation fooder at the start of the season. We are a team that has proved you can compete with the big boys in this league by bringing in talented academy prospects and playing them week in, week out. We are a team that proves clubs can be a force in this division by not spending big and by signing free transfers rather than spending £2.5 million on a ropey striker who does nothing but run around. If we remain in this division next year, that's life. But our club as a whole can be proud of the season we have had and we will go again next year. Will we do it? I always go with my gut instinct in situations like this and it's telling me to start getting ready for trips to Merseyside and West London next season...and it doesn't mean Tranmere or Brentford! :cheers:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
'Blowing it' (oh er) would be a Cardiff, a Leicester or one of the 3 Prem teams from last year, not going up. Teams that have huge budgets and have spent big. Blowing it would be a team 11 points ahead of 3rd in mid-Feb, not going up. Blowing it, would be a team that had spent £4.5 million on their strike force, not going up. We are none of those teams. Instead, we are a team that have defied the pundits and bookies already, a lot having us down as relegation fooder at the start of the season. We are a team that has proved you can compete with the big boys in this league by bringing in talented academy prospects and playing them week in, week out. We are a team that proves clubs can be a force in this division by not spending big and by signing free transfers rather than spending £2.5 million on a ropey striker who does nothing but run around. If we remain in this division next year, that's life. But our club as a whole can be proud of the season we have had and we will go again next year. Will we do it? I always go with my gut instinct in situations like this and it's telling me to start getting ready for trips to Merseyside and West London next season...and it doesn't mean Tranmere or Brentford! :cheers:

a change of stance from the palace from what we were hearing during November....hmm form not so good since December's win versus 10 man Albion?

Nope a sensible post is this,you don't believe this thread do you? I mean your sounding doubtful now

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010

Typical deluded Palarse fan. The only thing you forgot about your financial assessment of both clubs is that you have shafted creditors by going into admin not once but TWICE to get rid of your debts whilst despite struggling for years we have always played fair & kept our noses clean!! So I don't think you should be preaching about how to run a club properly- cheating bastards!!

Last edited:

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
a change of stance from the palace from what we were hearing during November....hmm form not so good since December's win versus 10 man Albion?

Nope a sensible post is this,you don't believe this thread do you? I mean your sounding doubtful now

Any CPFC fan comments in November would have been willy-waving, you know you shouldn't be so sensitive Gold, it's just the way a lot of football fans behave, you'd be doing the same after a run like ours! In response to your last comment, most Palace fans are quietly confident still but we will wait and see...

Last edited:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Any CPFC fan comments in November would have been willy-waving, you know you shouldn't be so sensitive Gold, it's just the way a lot of fotball fans behave, you'd be doing the same after a run like ours! In response to your last comment, most Palace fans are quietly confident still but we will wait and see...

When it comes to the Albion,let's just say i will be waving too-

get enough grief from the palace i work with,if you go up,you did it with the help of Brighton....well that's what you would tell us/roles reversed

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
Typical deluded Palarse fan. The only thing you forgot about your financial assessment of both clubs is that you have shafted creditors by going into admin not once but TWICE to get rid of your debts whilst despite struggling for years we have always played fair & kept our noses clean!! So I don't think you should be preaching about how to run a club properly- cheating bastards!!

Oh look, it's another Brighton fan rolling in hyporcrisy. Another Brighton fan that fails to acknowledge that they are in massive debt themselves. Another Brighton fan who doesn't know the details of our administration but brings it up to make himself feel better about his own teams failings.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Oh look, it's another Brighton fan rolling in hyporcrisy. Another Brighton fan that fails to acknowledge that they are in massive debt themselves. Another Brighton fan who doesn't know the details of our administration but brings it up to make himself feel better about his own teams failings.

We have debt's but i would prefer to have the Amex to service them,than an Academy,oh hang on we are getting one too,how is Selhurst,not getting any younger is it..

Besides we have 2 Admins to do yet,you might be wound up if you do it again....

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010

There's no excuse for going into administration as it's ultimately due to financial failings. So f*** off & spare us the lecture. Our team hasn't failed as I still think we'll do you in the play offs.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
There's no excuse for going into administration as it's ultimately due to financial failings. So f*** off & spare us the lecture. Our team hasn't failed as I still think we'll do you in the play offs.

We've got a decent shot at finishing in the top two, and you look unlikely to finish in the top 6.

I doubt we'll be meeting in the playoffs.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We've got a decent shot at finishing in the top two, and you look unlikely to finish in the top 6.

You have about a 1 in 4 chance of top 2.

Your arrogance could come back and bite you in the playoffs.

Last edited:

FinchleyEagle

Nov 19, 2012
I tooK my inspiration from the anti Brighton ones on the Palace BBS- NOW THAT'S IRONY!!!

Im not sure you understand what irony is my friend. And i've never been on the BBS in my life - all about the HOL

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

So do I.....The trouble with a lot of posters on here is that they allow this plastic rivalry between the two clubs to cloud their perspective....IMHO....
1) Brighton are underachieving, Palace are overachieving.
2) Would Brighton be higher with Freedman/Holloway in charge...More than likely.
3) Would Palace be where they are with Poyet in charge....doubtful.....they would probably be where BHA are.
4) Palace have far more firepower than BHA. Given a choice between CMS, Ulloa, Buckley and Lua Lua v Murray, Phillips/Dobbie, Zaha and Bolassie...its a no brainer.
5) Brighton waste chances and are not clinical. Palace finish teams off when they are on top.
6) Brighton have a more cautious manager, hence more draws. Holloway will always go for it.
7) Brighton's style may be easier on the eye but Palace are more direct and effective.
If Palace go up this season, the massive income they will get, combined with the Zaha money, will ensure successful yo-yoing between Premiership and Championship. Brighton will not have that financial clout.
Brighton are building very strong foundations and could make the Prem in the next 2-3 seasons but then so could a number of clubs as the Championship gets stronger each season.
Any BHA fan who still thinks we can finish above Palace are deluding themselves. We have an outside shot at 6th place...the top five are gone and assured of play-offs. It is just a case of which one of four teams gets the second automatic slot. No club below 5th in the table are capable of winning the play-offs. The third promoted side will come from Hull, Watford, Palace and Leicester. They are all currently better than Brighton.
So thats it...I have successfully put Palace on a pedestal and shot down my own club...I know I must be mad...but the truth hurts sometimes......hang on...I need to have a go at Palace about something.....ah yes.......
YOUR REAL AND NATURAL RIVALS ARE MILLWALL ( ON YOUR FRIGGING DOORSTEP AND ANOTHER SOUTH LONDON CLUB ) NOT A SOUTH COAST CLUB 45 MILES AWAY!!!!!....AND YOU ARE THE GLAZIERS, NOT THE BLEEDING EAGLES, ALWAYS WERE, ALWAYS SHOULD BE!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here