Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The OFFICIAL NFL 2012 Thread

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
The shedding of players at the Steelers, to get under the Salary Cap has begun in earnest. Letting Hines Ward go was not a shiock, but it's being reported that James Farrior has gone now as well. That'll hurt them .... and they still won't get down far enough to be able to afford to keep Mike Wallace.

It could be a very painful off season for the Steeler Nation.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It all depends on who Shanahan has his heart set on. I personally think the Skins will target their man and do what it takes to get him. If they see the QB coming from next year's class then I expect a move in FA for the likes of kyle orton and possibly pick up a receiver in the first round. As for the drop off from RGIII I think Weedon could start, Tannehill would have to sit for a year.

There are a whole range of scenarios to play out, the first of which is what happens when Indy do or do not renew Peyton Manning's contract. I have absolutely no idea what is going to happen, I'm changing my mind about every five minutes.
Word on the DC street is the 'Skins are after a franchise QB, and RGIII is that man, he's spent a lot of time with the Shanahans.
If they get usurped in the trade, Manning could well come into play for a season or two.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Saints have been rather naughty boys. Not sure what teh punishment will be, but wouldn't be surprised to see it was dished out in draft picks being withheld.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Seeming more likely that Skins are going to trade up for RGIII

Going to have to give up a lot of picks for him but seemingly with such a strong depth in free agency and plenty of room in salary cap they can afford to build a team before the draft and use the draft to get a franchise QB.

If this is the case though surely they will do the deal with the Rams before free agency so they can concentrate on some quality OL and a WR

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
The clock is very much ticking for Peyton's time in Indy. Joint press conference for 12 noon (ET) today, when they will presumably announce an amicable split.

Where does everyone think he will be next season? My gut feeling is that he may just retire TODAY.

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
The clock is very much ticking for Peyton's time in Indy. Joint press conference for 12 noon (ET) today, when they will presumably announce an amicable split.

Where does everyone think he will be next season? My gut feeling is that he may just retire TODAY.

I'm hoping he'll end up at the Redskins to reduce the competition for RGIII, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he retired.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Depends how Peyton's much publicised training sessions have gone recently. There is a lot of noise regarding the Cardinals and Manning but I think the Dolphins will go for him if he doesn't retire.

As for the ongoing RGIII saga, if the Browns don't want to give up pick 22 then the Skins will get him for two firsts and one more pick from this year's draft.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I just think that even if he has recovered enough to play again, he knows he's possibly just one hit away from being done and dusted, so would only be prepared to come back for his beloved Colts. Finding a team, signing for them, learning the playbook, working through training camp and pre-season where he plays a couple of drives a game, only to be drilled and done in Game 1 of the season. Meh, don't think he'll do it. Also, it's the neck FFS, if that goes wrong the next time he could end up in a wheelchair. He doesn't need the money, or any further success, and wouldn't have the connection to any other team to WANT to take that sort of risk for.

I hope I'm wrong as he's been an absolutely FANTASTIC player to watch down the years, but I think we've seen the last of him, and if he does announce a retirement, that'll be it, it will not be a Manning version of "Favre Watch" all off-season.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008

Lot of talk in the Sports pages of the local papers today about the Jets having a serious interest in Peyton Manning – the Giants already have his brother Eli.

The problem for the Jets is the salary cap – they’ve already freed up about $7M and just might unload Mark Sanchez who is now seen by some, including his team mates, as a liability.

The Colts reportedly chose not to pay Peyton a $28M bonus due this Thursday.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Purely down to if he thinks he can still do it, it deffo won't be Favre, again.
He's got a week or so ahead of free agency, if he's good to play(ish) the deal will be done before w/end, or not at all.

He won't go to the 'Skins, because of their offensive line.
Matt Flynn to Miami.
I can't see The Jets

Super Gus!

Mar 3, 2010
could someone explain something quickly...

what happens when teams trade draft picks?

for example, the rams have the 2nd pick and teams wanna trade up to get RG3... so would the rams actually pick rg3 then trade him to another team immediately or does another team take the rams spot at number 2 and have their choice of player??

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
could someone explain something quickly...

what happens when teams trade draft picks?

for example, the rams have the 2nd pick and teams wanna trade up to get RG3... so would the rams actually pick rg3 then trade him to another team immediately or does another team take the rams spot at number 2 and have their choice of player??

The Rams will pick at the spots they traded with. For example if cleveland trade their two first round picks this year, then the Rams will pick at 4 and 22 in this years first round, and Cleveland would pick at 2.

If picks from future years are traded aswell, the spot at which they pick depends on the performance of the team they traded with. The Rams are in a good position to rack up the picks this year, although if they get too greedy the Vikings may be in a position to trade their third pick as there is no way St Louis is picking a QB this year, they need receivers and Offensive linemen.

Igor Gurinovich?

Mar 27, 2006
Southampton

Not a chance, hes the kind of guy that would want to show he can still play at the top level.. The Jets wouldnt be a great destination for him, neither would Washington..i read Seattle are heavily interested and the Titans would make an interesting proposition.

Igor Gurinovich?

Mar 27, 2006
Southampton
I'm hoping he'll end up at the Redskins to reduce the competition for RGIII, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he retired.

Skins would be better off continuing to rebuild and not throwing everything at the persuit of Griffin III.. There are some good QBs to come out next year aswell.. too many holes at present need filling

Igor Gurinovich?

Mar 27, 2006
Southampton
Saints have been rather naughty boys. Not sure what teh punishment will be, but wouldn't be surprised to see it was dished out in draft picks being withheld.

suspensions hopefully.. the guys in the know should be heavily penalised. the commissioner has to be tough on this to send a warning across the league.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Not a chance, hes the kind of guy that would want to show he can still play at the top level.. The Jets wouldnt be a great destination for him, neither would Washington..i read Seattle are heavily interested and the Titans would make an interesting proposition.

LOL, easy to say a day later. I agree there is "not a chance" that he will announce his retirement yesterday, not now he's been seen on a private jet to Miami.

I don't doubt his determination to show people, but all along I've questioned whether we have been kept fully informed as to the seriousness of his injury, and therefore whether he physically can. Don't forget, even in August last year we were hearing he would be ready for Week 1, when the reality was he needed another op. He had that and they said he may play later in the season, and was never put on IR. Sometimes an injury late in a career just hangs around, and NEVER clears up properly.

Even if he does sign for someone, and it now looks certain he will, I wouldn't expect to see much of Manning playing in that jersey. But go buy one, it may be as rare as a Jerry Rice, Broncos jersey.

As I say, I hope I'm wrong because I love watching him play, possibly more than any other QB ever.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Skins would be better off continuing to rebuild and not throwing everything at the persuit of Griffin III.. There are some good QBs to come out next year aswell.. too many holes at present need filling

Disagree. There is no way the Skins are getting Barkley next year (unless they start Beck in every game next season) and I don't rate Landry Jones. I don't think there is a QB of RGIII's calibre in next years class. Barkley is good, but he has pretty good protection at USC. It is a gamble, but RGIII gives the Skins the chance to get a franchise QB for the first time in two decades. The other holes can continue to be filled in later rounds and free agency in my opinion. FWIW I think the Skins have a price they can afford and I don't think they will allow themselves to be held to ransom by the Rams. The Browns are getting protective of their second first round pick already I'm not sure they are going to jump which brings the price down for the Skins. Two firsts and a second or third should do it.

Washington simply cannot operate without a good QB and RGIII has all the tools plus the personality to finally get people back into FedEX Field which has become something of an embarrassment of late. Tannehill may well prove to be reasonable consolation prize if RGIII goes elsewhere. We will see.

The Peyton Manning situation should be interesting now, as well as seeing who moves for Matt Flynn and apparently Drew Brees is not that happy with the Saints at the moment, so there is a lot fun to be had on the QB merry-go-round this summer.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I think the skins should go for whatever QB they think makes them competitive NOW, as their overall offense and defence were middle ranked, last season, which suggests there isn't too much to do. The glaring hole to fill was at QB. The NFC East may have produced the SB Champions, but in truth, the division was there for the taking, even from the Redskins if they could have had a top 10 QB in there. Ironically, the way he started the season with the Raiders, they may well have had a shot at the division with Jason Campbell under centre.

I really do think that the skins were one of those teams that weren't nearly as bad as their record suggests.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
PM going to The Skins would mean him playing his bro, twice a year.
Plus as Manning pretty much plays as offensive coordinator, what happens to the coaches son?

Arizona may well be the fit, or :cough: Denver :cough:

He's going to want to be competitive right from the off, he only has 2 seasons left, and every throw could be his last.

Miami will be in for Flynn, Luck to the Colts and Rams are sticking with Bradshaw.

So unless Manning's deal frees up a good solid QB, that the Skins could go after, it's RGIII.

End of thread Stat has spoken :lol:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Personally, I was amazed at the interest from Denver, as he is completely incompatible with the offense they have been running for the last 10 weeks of the season. Whereas if they swap to a pocket-passing, calls at the line of scrummage Manning-style offence, then they will have a back-up who would have absolutely no chance of stepping in and running THAT system.

Can't see that one myself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here