Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The official match day thread: The UK/EU deal.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I still feel the Queen has gone with the wrong line up for this one, looks a poor defence to me and no creativity in midfield and the bench is down to the bare bones. The one plus is up front as Boris certainly has a good record of scoring although more domestic not so sure if he can deliver on the international front.

I think this game will go to the final wistle but a score draw the likeliest outcome with both teams claiming a win. Not looking forward to the reverse fixture.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
As a "Remoaner" it pleases me that the ERG haven't won. If they're pissed off, its as good a result as I could hope for.
The only real way the ERG would have won is a no deal.

They will be unhappy with this deal, but pleased we are out of the Customs union / single market. And that the ECJ no longer has a say in what we do.

Also that freedom of movement ends.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
What have they won and was it worth it?
We are out of the Customs union / single market. And that the ECJ no longer has a say in what we do.

Also that freedom of movement ends. Which was one of the big ones.

Was it all worth it?

I'm sure we will find out in due course.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
i gather they dont intend to cover financial equivalence in the deal, would come early next year. failure to agree puts a lot of European financial institutions at a disadvantage, blocking them from London markets, not the other way round (our authority has already said institutions here can use EU markets). EU want to build capacity for trading and clearing but cant decide where, so unlikely to ever happen. there is an odd scenario where EU traders may have to access derivative markets through New York as some agreement is in place.

I would not be so sure, there is already more than a Trillion pounds that was once in London now in the EU and mostly Frankfurt, along with a few thousand well paid jobs.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
i gather they dont intend to cover financial equivalence in the deal, would come early next year. failure to agree puts a lot of European financial institutions at a disadvantage, blocking them from London markets, not the other way round (our authority has already said institutions here can use EU markets). EU want to build capacity for trading and clearing but cant decide where, so unlikely to ever happen. there is an odd scenario where EU traders may have to access derivative markets through New York as some agreement is in place.

You obviously missed my post on equivalence earlier

There seems to be some confusion about what has been agreed on services that make up that 80% of the UK's GDP, so here is a useful (if rather large) answer

View attachment 131727

I'm struggling to see a single area where the EU institutions are at a disadvantage as we seem to have granted equivalence in most areas whilst the EU have granted hardly any (and even those are short term).

Maybe you could explain where the 'EU financial institutions are at a disadvantage'.

Thanks

Attachments

• equivalence-in-financial-services.jpg
    equivalence-in-financial-services.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 69
Last edited:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
As a "Remoaner" it pleases me that the ERG haven't won. If they're pissed off, its as good a result as I could hope for.

Great isn’t it. The irony is that regardless of how this ended (deal or no deal) someone in the Brexiteer clan is going to be mightily pissed off. Boris will now be classed as a sell out and a target for some of his previously most ardent admirers. Magnificent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Moderate Brexit backers have probably won.

The EU haven't done too badly either.

Moderate Brexit backers would have wanted a Norway or Switzerland deal.

There is still a long way to go before we get to that from this Switzerland-- deal, but this is the 1st small step on that path.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Moderate Brexit backers would have wanted a Norway or Switzerland deal.

There is still a long way to go before we get to that from this Switzerland-- deal, but this is the 1st small step on that path.
I don't see being outside the Custom union/single market as hard-line or anything like that. I would typically say it's more moderate.

Those who wanted a clean break/no deal are hard-line/erg types.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Does anyone still attribute this character with any sensible view? I'm surprised he still has the audacity to air his prehistoric opinions
He's no doubt a little bit worried about what investigations Biden kicks off in the US next year.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I don't see being outside the Custom union/single market as hard-line or anything like that. I would typically say it's more moderate.

Those who wanted a clean break/no deal are hard-line/erg types.

Yes but we voted to leave the EU only on the ballot paper. We have already done that.

"No one is talking about leaving the single market".

Even Farage was a champion of a Norway deal before the vote.

They betrayed the mandate AFTER the referendum.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He's no doubt a little bit worried about what investigations Biden kicks off in the US next year.

Trump is busy pardoning crooks at the moment.....

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Here is PA’s report on the EU granting the UK “national listed status” to continue exporting animal products.

Exports of meat, fish and dairy products to the European Union will be able to continue beyond 1 January after the UK was granted “national listed status”.

The measure means live animals and products of animal origin can be supplied to the EU after Brussels confirmed the UK met health and biosecurity standards.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
My first present arrived today. Can I exchange it ? I preferred the older version..

132633338_840792423372099_1637338282277754401_n.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You obviously missed my post on equivalence earlier

I'm struggling to see a single area where the EU institutions are at a disadvantage as we seem to have granted equivalence in most areas whilst the EU have granted hardly any (and even some of those are short term).

Maybe you could explain where the 'EU financial institutions are at a disadvantage'.

Thanks

EU institutions, business and citizens will have less access to financial markets, finance and legal experts in London. just as its a disadvantage for general UK business to have restricted access to larger EU market, it would be a disadvantage to restrict access to the larger UK finance market. Institutions here are allowed to freely trade in instruments there, but not vice versa, so an office in London can trade markets in both jurisdictions, a office based in Paris cant - which is more restricted?

its far from ideal, we'll see how much is resolved in recognition of equivalence in coming months. i expect the EU to stand their ground though, except areas like clearing where centralisation is important.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here