Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The official match day thread: The UK/EU deal.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
This deal won't last long, the Tories gain a lot of funding from the city, the city is screwed with this deal, EU gets to sell it's goods here, but we can no longer sell our major export, financial services.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
All quoted from the Guardian/BBC.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

So still just rumours then.

I'll wait until the deal is published but if Johnson gets a deal whereby we keep absolute control of our fishing waters and get tariff free access to the EU market (including services, the bit that's over 80% of our GDP) whilst not being bound by the EU's rules and regulations and don't have to put a border in the middle of the UK that he promised originally, then he will have played a blinder :thumbsup:

I wonder what's keeping him ???

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
So still just rumours then.

I'll wait until the deal is published but if Johnson gets a deal whereby we keep absolute control of our fishing waters and get tariff free access to the EU market (including services, the bit that's over 80% of our GDP) whilst not being bound by the EU's rules and regulations and don't have to put a border in the middle of the UK that he promised originally, then he will have played a blinder [emoji106]

I wonder what's keeping him ???
Apparently they are still negotiating about fish.

But the deal is as good as done according to many sources.

Probably waiting on the ERG response.

Labour will back the deal no matter what.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Well Johnson has got his cake, but it's a stale one that no one wants to eat.

Far too much time and cost spent on getting out and getting ready, and still the higher costs will remain with import/export documentation. All the focus on Fishing which is just 1% of GDP while Services have been forgotten about.

The country will still be poorer going forward.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
This deal won't last long, the Tories gain a lot of funding from the city, the city is screwed with this deal, EU gets to sell it's goods here, but we can no longer sell our major export, financial services.

money laundering and gambling will continue fruitfully regardless.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

i gather they dont intend to cover financial equivalence in the deal, would come early next year. failure to agree puts a lot of European financial institutions at a disadvantage, blocking them from London markets, not the other way round (our authority has already said institutions here can use EU markets). EU want to build capacity for trading and clearing but cant decide where, so unlikely to ever happen. there is an odd scenario where EU traders may have to access derivative markets through New York as some agreement is in place.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Personally I think it a disgrace that the fish have not been consulted on which country's fisherman they would rather be caught by.
If they had actually asked the fish their opinion then this issue could have been sorted a long time ago.
I expect the fish to make themselves a lot more difficult to catch now in retaliation of being left out of negotiations.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Ok call me dim but where is the mention of bananas and sausages.

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
Not really. It's about our deal with the EU.

I don't want any fighting on this thread.

How about bitter and vituperous comments? Plenty of those already from narrow minded people who can't accept that other people may have differing views:angel:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Personally I think it a disgrace that the fish have not been consulted on which country's fisherman they would rather be caught by.
If they had actually asked the fish their opinion then this issue could have been sorted a long time ago.
I expect the fish to make themselves a lot more difficult to catch now in retaliation of being left out of negotiations.

Most cod speak Norwegian or Icelandic and really should not even be in our waters without permission.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
My understanding is that the financial services talks are separate....

...and 'no deal' in the trade talks would have totally sunk them.

But a trade deal today paves the way for the banking deal later...

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
How about bitter and vituperous comments? Plenty of those already from narrow minded people who can't accept that other people may have differing views:angel:
As long as it doesn't decend into handbags at dawn it's fine. I suppose.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
money laundering and gambling will continue fruitfully regardless.

Euro Clearing is going to go though, something the ECB has tried to tie to Euro countries only, but was ruled against by the ECJ. So where the ECJ once ensured this business could carry on in London, Brexit has ensured it will leave and take up to 80,000 well paid jobs out of the UK.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Most cod speak Norwegian or Icelandic and really should not even be in our waters without permission.

Questions, That's about the most sensible statement on the matter I've heard.

unlike this cockwomble

clown.jpg

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
My understanding is that the financial services talks are separate....

...and 'no deal' in the trade talks would have totally sunk them.

But a trade deal today paves the way for the banking deal later...

I'd be interested in the source for this as I have been keeping an eye out on the services front and haven't seen anything. Thanks

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here