• Newcastle

Votes: 6 12.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Was fence on this, then saw Sky referring to Newcastle as a “sporting fairytale” and now I want Man U to absolutely smash them.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Impossible not to back Newcastle after reading this:

“David Burn, Dan Burn’s dad

Dear Dan,

When I walked up Wembley Way with you, a mere seven-year-old, on my shoulders en route to the FA Cup semi-final with Chelsea in 2000, who could have predicted that the next time Newcastle would be fighting for a cup there, I’d be in the stands, watching my son in those gorgeous black-and-white stripes?

It was only ever going to be this club for you.

After all, you and Jack, your brother, drew teams out of a hat to decide which matches the pair of you would go to with our East Stand season ticket. Tyne-Wear derbies, top-of-the-table clashes and Champions League nights — you saw it all under Sir Bobby Robson.

For your own football journey, first there was Blyth Town — I’m still puzzled you decided to be a keeper — and then Spartans. A left-back to begin with — I suppose you’ve come full circle! — then a centre-half, you won everything going.

Those two years as a junior at Newcastle’s Centre of Excellence coincided with a growth spurt, when you struggled to adapt to your changing body. That letter on Christmas Eve, releasing you as a 14-year-old, was gut-wrenching.

But it never held you back. You made sure you made it.

You pushed trollies at Asda and grafted in non-League with Darlington before Everton and Fulham came calling. For your medical, I told you to “look the part”. In hindsight, perhaps wearing suits might not have been the best idea, seeing as you had to undress about 15 times. Then there was Yeovil — remember son, you’ve already won, and scored, at Wembley — Birmingham and Wigan.

Away from football, you married your childhood sweetheart, Roz, and started a beautiful family, only to move about as far away as possible to Brighton!

When the takeover happened, you told me: “That’s that, Dad. They’re never going to sign Brighton’s Dan Burn.” Then the speculation started and it was unbearable because I so wanted it to be true.

That night you came back, when I was stood alongside you in the boardroom, it moved me to tears. Your debut against Aston Villa topped it. Captaining (briefly) against Brentford was another level still.

That’s before we think about the quarter-final… I was so proud I can barely put it into words.

I still can’t believe I wasn’t there, instead, I was watching from a bar in Spain, but it doesn’t diminish it one bit. Seeing you slalom in from the left and caress the ball in with your right foot, at the Gallowgate End, with a finish Alan Shearer would be proud of — I’ve watched it hundreds of times since and I still can’t quite believe it. That was just so special.

Since then, I find myself driving places and suddenly I have a massive smile on my face because I remember that goal.

Newcastle brought you home and you bloody deserved that chance. You are still the very same lad; the best father, husband, brother and son we could all wish for. Nothing has changed you. You’re still Dan from Blyth, with the same mates who have followed you all the way and everyone can see that.

Your resilience, your perseverance, should be an inspiration to every young kid in the north east. You are no Peter Beardsley, but you proved that sheer determination and hard work can take you far. As our fellow fans sing, “You’ll never, ever beat Dan Burn.”

You are living the dream of so many and you understand that responsibility.

Sat on my shoulders 23 years ago, you were excited and euphoric walking up Wembley Way. This time it’s my turn. In the stands, I’ll be donning your match-worn shirt from the quarter-final, the one you saved especially for me. I’m welling up just thinking about the moment you run out…

That will be my lad, my Dan, on the world stage, showing who he is: a great footballer and an even better bloke.

I wish I could bottle up this feeling I have because it would make me millions if I sold it. I’m so immensely proud of you son.

Love Dad

Crikey. Sat on the banks of the Thames sobbing into my breakfast.”

Mortdecai

Aug 6, 2009
Kirkkonummi, Finland
final.jpg

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Saudi FC just for BDB, that and it's always 'anyone but United'.
Good days footie with Rangers Celtic in the middle as well.
Brighton Ladies take on Coventry Ladies in the FA Cup at 2:00, not sure if it's on TV anywhere though.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Abandoned due to travel problems between Guildford and London and tidal wave of Smugness ….the Saudis…sorry Geordies will have to wait a bit longer for their chance of Tupperware

Oh and best of luck to the train staff who might be involved in trying to stop Newcastle f and drinking alcohol on the carriages back up norf

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Don't particularly want either of them to win it. Leaning towards a Newcastle win only because one of our season ticket group is a life long Newcastle fan who happens to live down here now.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Actual silverware on Tyneside after 218 years of "pain" would be classed as instant success for Saudi FC, and a tremendous advert/endorsement for the power and influence of the camel-bothering handchoppers.

Whereas when it all dies down in a couple of days time, and they reflect on it, Man Utd won't really give a toss about winning the Sugarfizz Rumbelow Cup for a sixth time. Its tinpottery stuff for them and will be quickly forgotten. So today Clive, I'm in the rare position of hoping for a Man U win.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
“When I walked up Wembley Way with you, a mere seven-year-old, on my shoulders en route to the FA Cup semi-final…”
Blimey. Did they warn Air Traffic Control at Heathrow before they did that?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
You never want man utd to win do you(cup final against palace excepted)?

But you don't want operation mega bucks sportswash to start succeeding quite so quickly either.

So we're stuck with a bit of a damned if you do, damned if you don't type situation.

The only situation I can deem remotely acceptable is a Newcastle win provided BDB gets the winner.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Just had breakfast with a load of geordies down for the final. They were delighted to see a fellow black and white Magpies scarf…until I showed them it was Maidenhead United :) But I’m team Toon today, just for the novelty if nothing else. And BDB of course.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
You never want man utd to win do you(cup final against palace excepted)?

But you don't want operation mega bucks sportswash to start succeeding quite so quickly either.

So we're stuck with a bit of a damned if you do, damned if you don't type situation.

The only situation I can deem remotely acceptable is a Newcastle win provided BDB gets the winner.
Man Utd started the era of sportswashing and financial doping. The main architects of in fact. It’s just others have got even bigger wells now.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Lifelong detestation of Man United, but I really don’t want Amanda Staveley and her filthy money Saudi cronies to win anything.
Rock and hard place, but I like Marcus Rashford.

I feel the same about both United’s,and I have huge admiration for Rashford, a fine player and young man, but, the Geordies have Big Dan Burn, so, I want him to win it with his boyhood club.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I realise they were at the forefront of going PLC and becoming a finnacial powerhouse but what sports washing have they done?
Sports washing, doping…it’s all the same. You don’t think Fergie won it all just with the homegrown class of ‘92 do you? How many times did they break transfer records, from Gary Pallister onwards?!!! This even before wages and ground expansion and share floatation taken into consideration. Nah, Man Utd invented the financial game football has become. Just 2 reasons to always despise them. That and 83.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
That United were, for so long, the most hated club in the country, and are now nowhere near that, shows the absolute state of the ownership of so many clubs now.
United to win at a canter.

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Sports washing, doping…it’s all the same. You don’t think Fergie won it all just with the homegrown class of ‘92 do you? How many times did they break transfer records, from Gary Pallister onwards?!!! This even before wages and ground expansion and share floatation taken into consideration. Nah, Man Utd invented the financial game football has become. Just 2 reasons to always despise them. That and 83.
As I understand it sports washing and financial doping aren't the same thing. Although financial doping is one way to achieve sports washing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here