The OFFICIAL *** Maggie Funeral Thread ***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
according to the Guardian you could buy 16,949,152 pints of milk - enough to give everyone in London two pints each for the same as it costs to bury the old bag, or 60% of a Trident missile.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
P W Botha was given a state funeral by the ANC government in 2006. There were no protests at this funeral from what I remember, which Thabo Mbeki attended. There were, rightly, many debates about whether Mbeki should have gone or not, but in the end he went as a gesture of reconciliation and respect. You can read about it here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6125054.stm
http://www.anc.org.za/docs/anctoday/2006/at43.htm

A lesson for some perhaps?

I think its very apt of you to compare P W Botha to Thatcher - good post.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
A decent post, however no one has the right of freedom of speech on NSC.

Your prerogative, of course.

But, looking at them dispassionately, the posts on this thread that are attracting bans, even if they are not particularly clever, appear to be no more potentially offensive than posts which routinely appear on the board, and don't attract bans.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It could be quite 'roomy' on here by tonight :)

Well, we'll be able to stretch out our legs and maybe have a proper debate about her contribution to the UK. Personally, if all you can say is **** you when adding to the debate then it shows how little you add to NSC. Take a bath.

I'm afraid too many in the anti-Thatcher camp (and I'm one of them) are making an embarrassment of themselves.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I would suggest it should be more than possible to have a reasoned debate on here without resorting to the sort of posts Bozza will have to spend a large chunk of his day removing and banning people for.

Give the guy a break.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I would say because it may suppress the freedom of speech aspect to the site. Bozza is right that there are some unacceptable comments i.e. filth etc. but equally people should be allowed to put across the point of view that the woman wasn't liked and damaged the country. I think perhaps the emboldened text etc sends out a bit of a big brother message.

My plea to Bozza would be don't act in haste. You've got a great community here and hats off to you. Much better to PM certain people than publicly chastise. Although I understand that with weight of numbers that isn't always possible.

Good post.

Today was always going to be one when we all would be well advised to pause to think before acting/reacting.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

But, looking at them dispassionately, the posts on this thread that are attracting bans, even if they are not particularly clever, appear to be no more potentially offensive than posts which routinely appear on the board, and don't attract bans.

Trolling funeral threads rarely happens on here.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

I agree, and perhaps that's something good that will come out of this. I enjoy reading posts where people say what they think, but think.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
I would suggest it should be more than possible to have a reasoned debate on here without resorting to the sort of posts Bozza will have to spend a large chunk of his day removing and banning people for.

Give the guy a break.

but he doesn't have to! he didn't with the Thatcher RIP thread, so why treat this one any differently?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Unfortunately I'm not watching the display but being up there in that there London but due to the overall warmth the public felt for her I'm guessing it's like this.

tumblr_lwoo8iAnLF1qdxpbvo1_500.jpg

Am I right?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Well, we'll be able to stretch out our legs and maybe have a proper debate about her contribution to the UK. Personally, if all you can say is **** you when adding to the debate then it shows how little you add to NSC. Take a bath.

I'm afraid too many in the anti-Thatcher camp (and I'm one of them) are making an embarrassment of themselves.

There'll be babbling ranters from each side, neither knowing when to take a break, or listening to an alternative view. I'm anti-Thatcher to the hilt, but not to the body of a woman long out of power, and now out of life. I offer her no respects, but no direct ire either as there are always new villains to tackle with breath in their ungodly lungs to deliver some terrible treatment to people.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports