Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official I Love Scotland, Scots and Scotch thread…(PLEASE IGNORE SCOTLAND BASHERS!)

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Bring it in? I've had the pizza sold and supplied by the chipper before...

Talisker and Irn Bru. Not at the same time / in the same glass of course.

Mmmmm, I've done the tour twice!

5113_104006607244_1971695_n.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
there are no precedents in EU history
Scotland is already a country in the EU
if it breaks its union of countries within the uk
it could still be classed as a country within the EU

the EU doesnt use the ambiguous the term "country", having member states. Scotland is part of a member state, the UK. if it leaves the UK, it leaves that state so is no longer a member of the EU. EU representatives has said as much, because they have a bunch of rules on membership, a queue of prospective members and a bunch of existing members that don't want regions following a precedent.

President Jose Manuel Barroso 2012: "if part of the territory of a member state would cease to be part of that state because it were to become a new independent state, the [EU] treaties would no longer apply to that territory".
. thats pretty clear cut.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Never understood why this should be so, it shouldn't be as far as I'm concerned , nor should Scots have free movement if there is a yes vote , even if they gain EU membership they will be an accession country and thus we will have avsay on as and when they are allowed free movement, if they want to be independent , then be independent , they shouldn't be allowed to cherry pick the good bits.

It could be historical. For hundreds of years wealthy English families (the landed gentry) were the largest landowners in Ireland.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Never understood why this should be so, it shouldn't be as far as I'm concerned , nor should Scots have free movement if there is a yes vote , even if they gain EU membership they will be an accession country and thus we will have avsay on as and when they are allowed free movement, if they want to be independent , then be independent , they shouldn't be allowed to cherry pick the good bits.

It is surely an advantage for us too to be able to retain freedom of movement? It would be madness to suddenly suggest after 300 years of union that because they democratically decide to govern their own affairs that suddenly we put border controls up. Where is the advantage to the rest of the UK for doing that? Are you worried a large area of South London will become Scotch?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I really lovely everything about Scotland too. Apart from some of them having a narrow minded hatred of the English.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
Scotland is a lovely country. Most Scottish people I have ever come individually across are lovely people.

But, I do not understand why, in the general population, they seem to resent or dislike the English.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I genuinely really like Scotland and (mostly) the Scots, and have, on a number of occasions thought it might be quite nice to hail from up there. Mostly I hope the union stays because I don't want to be stuck under a Tory government though.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Have always found their hatred of the English far more tongue in cheek than many northerner's hatred of Southerners.

I like the Scots in general and would prefer the union to stay intact.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
There is some beautiful places in Scotland no doubts, as there is in most countries.

But why should we love Scotland? Most of the Scots despise the English for no apparent reason other than we are better than them at pretty much everything imaginable.

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
I've been over the boarder on several occasions and have always found the scots to be warm, friendly and welcoming. Never had any problems on nights out and I've had plenty of them in Glasgow of all places.

Yes lots of good natured banter about hating each other, but that's how it is. Hard to believe but they even cheer on the English teams on European football nights.

I for one hope they stay in the union. After all "United we stand, divided we fall"

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Spent 3 years at Faslane which is just outside Helensburgh, they hated us back then in the late 70's and they still hate us now

Seven day summers and freezing cold winters with serious amounts of snow

I would personally volunteer to rebuild that wall !!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here