The official "Dobbie to Palace" thread [merged]

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Can't say I'm thrilled about this. As a rule, I don't think you should ever loan out a player to one of your promotion rivals. Could always come back to haunt us - imagine if he scored the goal that got them 6th place ahead of us?

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
I dont really think any of you should worry, I would rather have had your transfer window than ours. Would much rather have had Upson than Dobbie, totally unimpressed from a Palace perspective whereas I think that Upson is a very good signing

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
We don't pay massive wages. We walked away from potential signings in this window because they wanted to be our highest earners. If he's on anything over £10k you'll be paying some of it.

That's how loans work.

You'll be taking over his contract during the summer regardless, he's not going to be taking much of a pay cut at all... So one would imagine that your team are paying his full wages now too. Otherwise, as another poster has already said, why would we loan him to a promotion rival unless you took all his wages on + agreed the deal that you have to buy him outright in the summer?

Anyway, we aren't big spenders regardless of what any other club make us out to be. One would imagine his wages would be circa the 10k a week mark you have already mentioned.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'm not overly pleased. No so much with what we are losing, which over his six months hasn't been much, but more that we're letting him go to promotion rivals and Palace to boot. If Holloway gets him to click...

I wish we'd let him go to some mid/lower end of the table team. Barnsley or someone like that(if any of them had been interested, obviously).

And, no, he's not a Judas. He's been here five months and has only played a handful of games.

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
So Palace have basically taken him on an Hire Purchase Agreement ? - Pikey bastards.

I don't really understand these transfers, does it mean that if he's either shit/injured for Palace they can cancel the final purchase ?.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
End of the day isn't anywhere near the first team.

No point in having him here and best off he leaves.

Holloway might get the best out of him, but he certainly didn't fit or didn't perform while he was here. As stated he hasn't got a great track record for goals and no matter how well he does at Palace he won't be missed as he wasnt playing.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Whilst I admit to being pleased when we purchased him. I now believe we got him to cover CMS leaving at the end of the last transfer window. Feels like a panic buy now.

I feel he does actually look quite good on the ball, but his lack of willingness to fight for the team and general disinterested approach has been very disappointing.

I'm more worried that they've signed Phillips, even if he is 108 years old, he is still good coming off the bench.

Last edited:

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
It's quite funny though that Palace's front line now consists mainly of Brighton rejects!!! :)))

It'll probably come back to bite us but it's amusing for now.

Pleased to see Dobbie go. He was about as much use as Dobbie the elf from Harry Potter.

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
Damn it! I was just going to laugh about the fact Palace had signed the worst ex big name player I have seen at The Amex - Kevin Davies.

Then realised its Kevin Phillips who is, still, bloody good. He maybe 38 but boy does that guy know where the net is!!!

danish seagull

Apr 16, 2012
København
Can't believe we've 'loaned' him to Palace. Gobsmacked, anyone but them ffs

Agree to be honest mate, literally ANYONE but them and I' be happy to have him off of the wage bill. Keep telling myself he was one of the highest earners to justify it in my head but I'm actually a little concerned he might play well for them and get them into the play offs. Assuming he isn't allowed to play the game against us in March??

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand and from what Gus has said about him he clearly didn't fit in so there was an attitude issue. That plus the fact that he's allegedly a high earner are good reasons for letting him go. I'm also very pleased for Hoskins because this sends a positive message to him about his value to the side which I totally endorse. We've also now got Leo and I really think between Leo, CMS, Barnes and Hoskins we've got real options and a very exciting strike force that complement each other well. Dobbie was expendable on all counts. Also, if as I suggest below Dobbie does score a shedload of goals for Palarse between now and the end of the season his value will increase significantly and if they then want to buy him at the end of the season we could make a killing on the deal. Its good business.

On the other hand, we've let another f**king player go to our most reviled enemy! What are we doing?!! It's a nailed down certainty that he will get regular starts with pikey Hollaway and will get goals and create goals for FFSM and, unless there's a clause in his contract that prevents him playing against us in March, he will score at least one goal against us - lets just hope its not the winning goal. I also fear that if he does score goals he may be the difference between them getting into the playoffs or missing out on them. What if its his goals that are the difference between them and us getting into the playoffs? If either of these scenarios occurs my heart will rule my head and I will be totally and utterly pissed off with the deal irrespective of how much sense it makes commercially and every other way.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
If we're unfortunate enough to miss out on automatic promotion (and you're fortunate enough to get into the top 6) he won't be able to play against you at all this season.

According to the club the deal will be made permanent in the Summer. Dobbie won't play for Brighton again - he is a free elf.

That depends.

If he plays like he previously did under Holloway, you'll probably have secured our promotion while paying his wages.

If he plays like he has done for you, you'll be the ones laughing.

There is NO WAY we're paying his wages mr delusional.

What I wanna know is, since u have the strongest 11 in the league will Dobbie, a player who recently couldn't make our matchday EIGHTEEN improve it..?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So in summary Palace have spent the Zaha millions on a 38 year old in the last months of his career and one of our substitutes. Parrish is mugging you off my dears.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
He was the player that i was most excited about when we signed him in the last transfer window. It just didnt seem to work for him here, would have prefered to see him go to someone other than Palace but at least his wages will not be on our back.

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
Everyone keeps saying they are annoyed that Dobbie could help them get play offs over us. What if its the other way round and he doesn't even score 1 goal for them, would be a stroke of genius from Gus, if we hadn't given them Dobbie they may have gone for Boyd on loan, I know which player id rather they had

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Not bothered in the slightest that he as gone to them. Backwards step really.. Must be hard playing at the Amex (a few times) then having to go and play at SP.

Can't believe we've 'loaned' him to Palace. Gobsmacked, anyone but them ffs

This.

And if it turns out we are paying even ONE pound of his wages I will possibly implode.

It would be a sad, sad day if Brighton and Hove Albion was paying someone to play for that lot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports