Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The official "car crash in the snow" thread

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Years ago I was heading off to work, in the snow.

I approached a long bend, slowly, turned the steering wheel, nothing.
At the apex of the bend very slowly the back came round, and kept coming.

My car came to a halt in a lay-by facing the wrong way, perfectly parked between 2 other cars
6 inches either way and I would have bumped one of the cars.

Eksman

Aug 9, 2012
On the toilet
Been driving in it since 8:15am and see so many idiots (I usually do anyway) but the snow seems to turn people into even more idiotic drivers. Bit of common sense peeps! All around shoreham/lancing/steyning side roads I've seen are screwed but I mean come on, use your gears to slow yourself down. Slamming your breaks on WILL NOT work

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Just been told that 4 cars have been involved in a crash in Heath Road Haywards Heath thought it should be cleared by the time I drove down it. Wrong however, I drove very carfully stopped at the junction, just about to pull away Bang young sales girl smashed into the back off my car. I pulled up further down the road ran back to get her details, plenty of witness,s while we were exchanging details ! bang another accident 5 for the day. Gone home and salted the hill outside of my house. Please don't drive in these conditions if you don't need to.

Mine happened in Haywards Heath.

bunch of wusses man up

Thanks - being in Haywards Heath you should realise what the conditions are like. You are either a non-driver or you are one of the idiots who take no notice of the conditions and drive like one of the cocky tw@ts [MENTION=18477]dig54[/MENTION] was referring to!

Eksman

Aug 9, 2012
On the toilet
This morning it was settling on the outside lane on the a27 and people are still flying past me on that lane as if its a normal day, SORT YOURSELVES THE HELL OUT!!!

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath

Thanks - being in Haywards Heath you should realise what the conditions are like. You are either a non-driver or you are one of the idiots who take no notice of the conditions and drive like one of the cocky tw@ts [MENTION=18477]dig54[/MENTION] was referring to!

Would not be stupid enough to drive down the steepest road in town

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I've watched three cars crash in exactly the same spot this morning from my lounge window.

The first one, a woman in a Corsa, took the bend a little too quick, lost it on the snow & mounted her car front end first on two concrete bollards.

She was eventually towed away, & five minutes later a guy in a Freelander came along & did the same, ending up stuck on one of the bollards the woman hasn't managed to demolish.

While the driver was standing there scratching his head in puzzlement, another car came round the corner & went into the back of him.

He's been waiting about four hours for someone to recover his car so far.

All most amusing in an "at least nobody's injured" sort of way.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Its madness leaving work early unless you really have to - everyone does the same thing and you get carnage and waste hours getting home its stopped here now so we are leaving in an hour when hopefully it will be quiet!

why go to work at all if the forecast is as bad as it was today?
work from home or take a day of if you are not "essential" I know everyone thinks they are important but its complete lunacy...its not as if we did not get warned about the snow..

Better to stay alive and have an un damaged car

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
A couple of years ago in Bexhill there was a gentleman who lived on a hill and was having some difficulties moving his car off the road because of the snow. He came up with the clever idea of pouring boiling water across the road where he was slipping, and happily moved his car in to his driveway.

Of course, the water froze pretty much immediately afterwards and a stretch of the hill was a literal ice rink. Lots of damage before someone bothered to put some salt down.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Years ago I was heading off to work, in the snow.

I approached a long bend, slowly, turned the steering wheel, nothing.
At the apex of the bend very slowly the back came round, and kept coming.

My car came to a halt in a lay-by facing the wrong way, perfectly parked between 2 other cars
6 inches either way and I would have bumped one of the cars.

Whew ! and the state of your undercrackers just after you came to a halt ?

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Live in Haywards Heath, Work in Hove. Left work at about 12:30 to get home. Heard on travel news as I was heading towards it that Dyke Road was at a complete standstill, so thought I'd re-route. Took a side road. Realised I had made a big mistake, as car was beginning to slide, and road was becoming steeper. Managed to get it into the side and parked up, got all my cold weather gear on and then out of courtesy, thought I would let the household I was parked outside, know that I would come back tomorrow and pick it up.

As I turned to point out my car, we both watched it begin to slide. Bang - into a parked van!!

Van driver was ok - he was working on a house a few doors down, and said I was the second to hit him in the last hour!!

Walked to the station. Just got home.
Mistakes in order of cock ups:-
1) Should have taken day off.
2) Should have left work earlier.
3) Should have left the car at work, and got train home.
4) Should have stayed on the main roads.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath

Thanks - being in Haywards Heath you should realise what the conditions are like. You are either a non-driver or you are one of the idiots who take no notice of the conditions and drive like one of the cocky tw@ts [MENTION=18477]dig54[/MENTION] was referring to![/

no snow when I left home and if I had not been clearing snow for pedestrians and running some supplies to some old age pensioners I would have been home in one piece, the girl who hit me said I braked but nothing happened:facepalm::wozza:

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Just seen a car slide down the hill outside my house and gently crash into a parked car.
Doesn't look like there's much damage, but the driver did the decent thing and left a note with his details.

that's what you think.......when I was in the old bill, came across same scenario, but person was actually writing ' the people watching think I'm leaving my details,but both you and I know better, don't we ' .....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here