Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** The official AND ONLY 'Albion players arrested' thread ****

The Auctioneer

Jun 24, 2011
Personally I think its wrong that these players have been named. As far as I am concerned they are all innocent - until proven otherwise.

The thing with the Argus printing stuff like this, is that people reading it will have made their own minds up. Not good for the players, their family and their friends.

If the players are subsequently cleared, I wonder if the Argus will do a similar front page splash with a apology. I doubt it. The Argus reached a very very low mark today and I hope that the club treats them accordingly.

In cases like this, players should be given anonymity much as the alleged victim has.

They should be legally obliged to give as much column inches to apologies as accusations/sensationalism on exactly the same page numbers. Not just three lines at the bottom of page 37 or such like. Maybe they would then think twice about misreporting and blowing things out of proportion. Await a verdict then report factually.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
They should be legally obliged to give as much column inches to apologies as accusations/sensationalism on exactly the same page numbers. Not just three lines at the bottom of page 37 or such like. Maybe they would then think twice about misreporting and blowing things out of proportion. Await a verdict then report factually.

Exactly this!! you see it so many times, an apology done on the bottom of a page that no one will really read, it's all so unfair and one sided in many ways.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Exactly what did they print that was factually wrong? Just because you and a few others don't like the size of the headlines, I don't think there were any lies printed. As much as I don't like this happening and involving my club, some people are being a bit too precious about it.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Todays Argus headline:

My Sex Assault Arrest Ordeal - Cleared Albion star Elphick talks exclusively to The Argus

Argus claims incident took place at the Jury's Inn, Stroudley Road, Brighton

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The Argus seems to miss the irony of this quote:

"Officers had warned Elphick...that his name was about to hit the press. He said 'I prepared myself for it but nothing can really prepare you for that, especially when you're born and bred. This is my home. I have been playing fr his club for a long time and never stepped put of line. I pride myself in the way I live. I have been brought up the right way. I understand the life a footballer should lead, especially when you're a local lad.'"

Top bloke :clap:

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Why was he not at home resting his leg?

I'm a STH and I don't want to see MY money being wasted on injured players going out on the lash.

Sort it out Bloom.

Devon Seagull

Sep 25, 2004
South Devon
The Daily Mail is always full of these apologies tucked away at the bottom of the left hand page

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
Trouble is that once one outlet gives names then they all rush in. They can then say "as reported in the media" like they're saying "we're just saying what others have said."

The media are such low lifes. If one of my kids said they wanted to be a journalist then I'd suggest they'd be better off being a piano player in a whorehouse as they'd get more respect there. I'm not say all journos are bad, but the general quality of journalism in this country has fallen to such a low standard. It's all tittle tattle, sensationalism - truth is irrelevant now.

Perhaps you need to change the paper you read then? Admittedly there is shocking journalism out there as is being highlighted in the Leverson enquiry but there is also some fantastic investigative journalism being carried out too.

The Auctioneer

Jun 24, 2011
Guilty!

Exactly what did they print that was factually wrong? Just because you and a few others don't like the size of the headlines, I don't think there were any lies printed. As much as I don't like this happening and involving my club, some people are being a bit too precious about it.

Not necessarily this article alone, but it does seem a little unfair to anybody who has their private life splashed around the tabloids, based on being arrested or not, for something they may or may not have done. If guilty, of the said offence/s then so be it. But at least give the same amount of coverage when the accused is found not guilty of the said offence/s or it has been mis-reported. But of course that does not sell newspapers, does it. Thats All Folks!

If Guilty THEN by all means throw the book at 'em.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
This.

And IF they are found guilty, get rid.

There's really no need for that at this stage. "Cross that bridge when we come to it" comes to mind. The players need our backing at this point, not people queing up for the witch-hunt afterwards.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not necessarily this article alone, but it does seem a little unfair to anybody who has their private life splashed around the tabloids, based on being arrested or not, for something they may or may not have done. If guilty, of the said offence/s then so be it. But at least give the same amount of coverage when the accused is found not guilty of the said offence/s or it has been mis-reported. But of course that does not sell newspapers, does it. Thats All Folks!

If Guilty THEN by all means throw the book at 'em.

Other than the fact that they were arrested in connection with allegations of sexual assault, what else about their private lives was 'splashed' across the paper. Did we find out which pubs they hang out in, what their political persuasion is, how many girlfriends or boyfriends or whatever they have, have had etc. Do we know where they live, what their families are like. I've said it before and I'll say it again, too many on here are being over precious about some individuals who are subject to a Police investigation, purely because they happen to be employees of the Albion. Fact of the matter is all those shouting their indignation are merely drawing further attention to the situation.

Also, why do you say 'based on being arrested or not'? They were arrested, end of. It appears you are now distorting the facts!!!!!

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
It is gut wrenching to see our club reported in connection with such stories....All right minded people want to see justice done, for the players involved, and for the complainant.Let it be done quickly.

Meanwhile no charges have been brought..Today of all days I wish I were at Peterborough roaring on the lads in a show of support for our club, which is bigger than any individual

Come On The Albion!!!!!!!!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Why was he not at home resting his leg?

I'm a STH and I don't want to see MY money being wasted on injured players going out on the lash.

Sort it out Bloom.

eh?, who's been out on the lash?

Did it say ANYWHERE that Elphick was even there on the night or there when the incident in question happened?! Apologies if i've missed something but i think you're assuming...?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here