Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 99th Tour de France thread, 2012.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Thanks everyone, this is virtually my only outlet for gobbing off on the subject of this sport we're not supposed to win, no-one else I know cares as much.

Spare a thought for the French this summer. The country that broke their hearts by stealing the Olympics at the 11th hour has really rubbed their faces in it by dominating their cherished national event, beaten their leading tennis player in the semi at Wimbledon and finished higher than their supposed superior football team. Any other sports we've crushed them?

Rugby ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He's got to sort out the raffle prizes first.

:):bowdown::D:D:lolol::clap:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Two years running the Aussie connection wins the tour!
clap.gif

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
only joking my friend :kiss:

do you ride? are you sussex based?

Sadly I've had a bit of a traumatic year which has seen me off the bike and in the biscuit tin.

I now consider myself the non talented cycling equivalent of Brian Wilson when he was living in his bed, on Malibu beach, and not surfing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Brian Wilson, who am I kidding:-

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Thanks everyone, this is virtually my only outlet for gobbing off on the subject of this sport we're not supposed to win, no-one else I know cares as much.

Spare a thought for the French this summer. The country that broke their hearts by stealing the Olympics at the 11th hour has really rubbed their faces in it by dominating their cherished national event, beaten their leading tennis player in the semi at Wimbledon and finished higher than their supposed superior football team. Any other sports we've crushed them?

Err, Tommy V done pretty well to get KoM.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Well that three weeks was a joy. Wiggins is a very British champion. The "raffle tickets" comment was bloody funny. To be the first Brit to win the yellow jersey is some achievement. And to lead out for Cavendish was the mark of a true leader. And for Cavendish to win as well was incredible.

But what was Lesley Garrett wearing ? And what a woeful rendition of the dirge. I like a bit of opera - but that was terrible.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
haha yeah.

The French are probably looking better than they have in years for young promising riders coming through their ranks.
The joys of a cleaner sport.

France's law makers strong arm tactics, 5 years ago, seem to be beginning to take effect.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Guys, I was just reading that Brailsford has said that Team Sky will be continuing to go for GC wins in the next few years of the TdF and if Cavendish wants to leave, then that is not an issue but they would like him to stay. My question is, is there a limit to the amount of riders a team can have? Could Sky add another 2 or 3 riders to help Cavendish and still help Wiggins/Froome to win the GC? May be it is just down to cost...

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Guys, I was just reading that Brailsford has said that Team Sky will be continuing to go for GC wins in the next few years of the TdF and if Cavendish wants to leave, then that is not an issue but they would like him to stay. My question is, is there a limit to the amount of riders a team can have? Could Sky add another 2 or 3 riders to help Cavendish and still help Wiggins/Froome to win the GC? May be it is just down to cost...
There is (almost) no limit to the number of riders in a team, but only 9 can race in the TdF, Vuelta and Giro. Some other events have different maximums.

This is like having a squad of x players, but only 11 can play on the day (ignore subs as you can't sub in cycling).

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
There is (almost) no limit to the number of riders in a team, but only 9 can race in the TdF, Vuelta and Giro. Some other events have different maximums.

This is like having a squad of x players, but only 11 can play on the day (ignore subs as you can't sub in cycling).

Thanks. So, would 9 not be enough to try and win Green and Yellow jerseys?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Cav's great weakness in the pursuit of Green jerseys will always be he can't go over the mountains like Sagan can. Thor showed that and now it's Sagan's to lose each year imo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here