Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 99th Tour de France thread, 2012.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Perhaps. Though the majority of people still hang out for the mountain stages and view them as the pinnacle of each tour.

They provide the most intrigue when it comes to the race and how it will pan out.

I'm not a big fan of riders who can't attack in the mountains and just sit on the wheel of others. A tactic of Cadel Evans strangely enough over the years preceding his win. A tactic I always found entirely dull and uninspiring.

I know what you mean, but is it a sign of a cleaner sport and something we just have to get more used to? I can't think of ANY explosive climbers that have never tested positive of some sort of banned substance. Not that is isn't exciting, mind...

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
What a Tour de Force. It’s bleeding difficult to put down how massive this is for Blighty Cycling and momentum into the Olympics.

Everyone is talking about it, I’m overhearing the strangest people talking about cycling and the news yesterday did a sterling job in making Brad a household name.

Had a fantastic day at the Time Trial and managed to get all the GC and stage hopefuls riding the course just and after the publicity caravan, Froome bolling around with Porte (who put in a great time). Thomas Voeckler got the biggest cheer however SKY are really loved by the French public at large and loads of banners saying Bravo SKY. They certainly seem to take Brad as one of their own, due to him having a deep understanding of cycling its history, traditions, culture and being able to take the piss out of tour observations in French.

Ended up watching the Eurosport and itv recordings in full on Sunday night and caught the end of the CAV SPRINT for the first time only last night. I realised how tense it’s all been waiting for the wheels to come off, the attacks, illness and the great relief after the last mountain stage, So having had little time to review everything here are my TDF 2012 picks off my head, I am sure more will be added and some may make me change my mind..

Best racing moment – Stage 7 into La Planche des Belles Filles, Froome win and Brad takes yellow on Cadels wheel I need peeling of the celing. Defending the attacks by Nibali made me too nervous.
Worst – Stage 6 crash, taking out some serious fun in the mountain stages also possibly Frank and directics!
Best laugh – Marc Madiot cheering on Pinot for stage win
Best looking prospects – Froome, Pinot, Sagan and Tejay some good tours to come...Kittel who!
Stabilisers award – Gesink! - Is Zubeldia the new Menchov.
Chapeau’s – The rider who got out of the ambulance after the stage 6 crash and rode 10 k before collapsing again with broken everything and collapsed lung. Also mentions for Sorrenson, riding into Paris before having surgery on two fingers that are just bone. Jens Voigt – sign him up to team ‘tunnel of pain’.
Best attitude – Brad the Boss he is our leader and has the winning raffle ticket.
Best Sprint – CAV (come on do it one more time this Saturday on the Mall)
Best stage win – Voekler stage 10 into Bellegarde-sur-Valserine I think this was the slug fest slowest sprint finish ever, was painful but compulsive viewing. Last man standing takes the win, what ever you think about Thomas he is retro, apparently a very clean rider and has some power and guts when the hour comes.
Best podcast – The Velocast – doing a tour round up on Wednesday that may be free.
Best TV pundits – Commentary still Phil and Paul for me. Pundit Rob Hayles has been very good this year on Eurosport come on itv sign him up.
Best celebration – Sagn as Forrest Gump
Most cringy moment – Somewhere between Rolland attack and Tejay does not see Cadel in trouble. Both interviews afterwards explaining that made my toes curl.

Champagne moment – TEAM SKY – BRAD leading out CAV on the Champs Elysees, fantastic VIVA LE TOUR.

Bring on this weekend and a week Wednesday...

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I know what you mean, but is it a sign of a cleaner sport and something we just have to get more used to? I can't think of ANY explosive climbers that have never tested positive of some sort of banned substance. Not that is isn't exciting, mind...

Joaquim Rodríguez and Sammy Sanchez are great climbers who can put in great bursts in the mountains.

As far as I recall neither has been caught yet doing anything untoward.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Joaquim Rodríguez and Sammy Sanchez are great climbers who can put in great bursts in the mountains.

I caught the end of a piece on Radio 4 the other day and have not been able to find it on iplayer (if anyone else caught it - please mention here). It was a women expert on Watt/power outputs and explaining how this year looks cleaner.

She only had one set of records I think it was Nibalis on stage 11 and explained how he used 3.2 watts on the first two climbs then 3.8 on the last. How only a few years ago these 3.2 would jump to 4.8 and showed someone had been using stamina improving drugs. Hence she felt Nibbles was clean (still unsure how this was measured are the machines that small and light now).

Brad wants to release his blood passport for the TDF but has been told not to as over a short period it could be miss interpreted by the amateur hords on the internet. Brailsford has talked about having a day at Manchester Velodrome where they release all the data from the pre training and tour.

I believe the new biological passports are scaring the crap out of dopers/former dopers and look forward to seeing how Contador is in the coming grand tours.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Not being caught is nowhere near enough to suggest someone is clean. Marion Jones doped her whole life but was never caught, and she won 5 Olympic medals in Sydney. It's only because she was turned in some years later that she was found out. Carl Lewis was never caught - nice brace though.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Not being caught is nowhere near enough to suggest someone is clean. Marion Jones doped her whole life but was never caught, and she won 5 Olympic medals in Sydney. It's only because she was turned in some years later that she was found out. Carl Lewis was never caught - nice brace though.

Its a lot harder now with biological passports than in the past like Marion Jones, but the culture is hopefully turning and riders hopefully athelites too showing you can win clean

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

To be honest that's why I went with "not tested positive". You can NEVER prove you're clean - you just haven't tested positive yet. We can only go with what we know, and accept that sometimes people slip through the net. The bio passports are making the holes in the net smaller though.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Its a lot harder now with biological passports than in the past
So what sports now require the competitors to test all year long and keep biological passports? I didn't think they were that widespread yet.
the culture is hopefully turning and riders hopefully athelites too showing you can win clean
The only thing that will ever change is whether or not they can be caught, there will always be people willing to cheat if they think they can get away with it.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
So what sports now require the competitors to test all year long and keep biological passports? I didn't think they were that widespread yet.

The only thing that will ever change is whether or not they can be caught, there will always be people willing to cheat if they think they can get away with it.

UCI programme

Union Cycliste Internationale

Yes some will always try to get that edge when so much money is at stake, Valverde a stage winner just ahead of Froome and Wiggo this year doped and has shown no remorse. Certain teams and areas have yet to change. I am pretty confident that certain teams have changed and become far more professional in who they sign and how they spend their money on technilogical expertise and training developments.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If the Stat's were sitting there enjoying a milkshake, and these 3 walked in.
I think what would probably ensue, would put an end to any chances of Olympic Gold.

Ayk7d4nCUAAUJAd.jpg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I am pretty confident that certain teams have changed and become far more professional in who they sign and how they spend their money on technilogical expertise and training developments.
Yes cycling seems to have come a long way which is great. I'm not just talking about cycling though - what with the Olympics coming up I can't help wonder how much of it will actually be a competition. It should be an amazing spectacle, but I look at past champions and think a lot of them were probably doping.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If the Stat's were sitting there enjoying a milkshake, and these 3 walked in.
I think what would probably ensue, would put an end to any chances of Olympic Gold.
Are you trying to say they wouldn't be able to sit down for a week? Bloody Brighton fans.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Yes cycling seems to have come a long way which is great. I'm not just talking about cycling though - what with the Olympics coming up I can't help wonder how much of it will actually be a competition. It should be an amazing spectacle, but I look at past champions and think a lot of them were probably doping.

It will ALWAYS be a competition, just like the Tour has always been a competition.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are you trying to say they wouldn't be able to sit down for a week? Bloody Brighton fans.
I wish :lol: I wouldn't get a look in.

When 2 of the 3, current, all time hero's of a 6 & 7 year old walk into a room, the very least they could expect would be perforated ear drums. But the worst case scenario would be a cleat induced fall, as Cav tried to run away, from them.
I guess I could chat with Dave M, while the penny dropped.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here