Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 99th Tour de France thread, 2012.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Fantastic win for team GB ! Wiggo's gain on the upstart Froome was very impressive .

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For what it's worth.
Cav, Greipel, Wiggins, Haedo.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Jens Voigt ‏@thejensie
Pretty sure the Queen is not following me on twitter but if she does- please give Bradley a knighthood. He was legendary this 3weeks.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stage 19 results:-

1 Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Sky Procycling 1:04:13
2 Christopher Froome (GBr) Sky Procycling 0:01:16
3 Luis Leon Sanchez Gil (Spa) Rabobank Cycling Team 0:01:50
4 Peter Velits (Svk) Omega Pharma-QuickStep 0:02:02
5 Richie Porte (Aus) Sky Procycling 0:02:25
6 Patrick Gretsch (Ger) Argos - Shimano 0:02:28
7 Tejay van Garderen (USA) BMC Racing Team 0:02:34
8 Vasili Kiryienka (Blr) Movistar Team 0:02:46
9 Rein Taaramae (Est) Cofidis, Le Credit En Ligne 0:02:50
10 Jérémy Roy (Fra) FDJ-Big Mat 0:03:05

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Just watched it all back.

All still on track. Happy days. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Jens Voigt ‏@thejensie
Pretty sure the Queen is not following me on twitter but if she does- please give Bradley a knighthood. He was legendary this 3weeks.

Ha what a great guy voight is. I agree but she should have been dragged out of bed last week to knight him so he could ride into Paris as Sir Bradley Wiggins. Froome should be knighted too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good stuff.

I think that bloke John who delivers letters for a living sums up everything about these past 3 weeks best.

"If you can't embrace a British 1-2 , dominant performance, 5 (hopefully 6) stages wins, then perhaps cycling isn't for you."

Well said that man, whoever he is :clap2:
If only there was a clue :lol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
If only there was a clue :lol:

Bit hard to tell from any clues to be honest - I see loads of dogs round our way dressed in retro cycling shirts. Most seem to prefer Gan or Super U ones though. :wink:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Interesting ours seem to want the 'latest' Molteni and Faema jerseys since reading the Eddie Merkyx biog.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Tuned in 3 weeks ago for about the 25th year in a row, expecting the usual amazing scenery, supreme athletes, the fantastic Sherwin/Liggett/Boardman team, drama, and hopefully some Cavendish wins.

The Wiggins & Froom show has been the icing on the cake.

And their risky selflishness yesterday in handing a stage win possibility, to the amazing Cav, capped this great tour.

Hopefully Cav can add a 4th Paris win tomorrow.

(Looking forward to 2013 already!)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
For newbies watching now and tonight, there's some great shots as to why Cav is so fast.

Compare his position on the bike with Goss (a proper sprinter) and Sagan a lesser sprinter.

Cav is incredibly low down over the handlebars, in a near perfect aerodynamic position.
whereas everyone else are so comparatively upright.

Add his: power, cadence, steady bike, staight path, natural talent at that trait, track experience. Cav is world class and one of the greats.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Add his: power, cadence, steady bike, staight path, natural talent at that trait, track experience. Cav is world class and one of the greats.
It was a fantastic sprint.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Mark Cavendish ‏[MENTION=12437]Mark[/MENTION]Cavendish
Even if the yellow jersey hadn't been enough to ride 3 weeks for, @teamskychef's burgers definitely were

AyWzDeCCUAAJ_UT.jpg

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
everyone who rides down here (south-west france),always wear a team's colour

when i moved down here 6 years ago,i must be honest,i found it quite amusing,taking it all so seriously,like us with football shirts if you like

but now i know different,cycling is bordering on a religion down here and you can't help but get wrapped up in it all yourself

on the rare occasion i do see someone riding without colours now,seems a little strange

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
everyone who rides down here (south-west france),always wear a team's colour

when i moved down here 6 years ago,i must be honest,i found it quite amusing,taking it all so seriously,like us with football shirts if you like

but now i know different,cycling is bordering on a religion down here and you can't help but get wrapped up in it all yourself

on the rare occasion i do see someone riding without colours now,seems a little strange
Personally I just can't do it.
Retro classics and simple plain tops.
I guess that's a little snobby of me, but it's not the team I support, it's the sport, heritage, stories & history.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Here's a question about 'The Wiggins Effect' then.

I wonder what it will mean in terms of our TV coverage. From having half hour of highlights on channel 4 all them years ago we today have progressed to almost full live stage coverage on ITV1 HD ! Tomorrow is going to be the same!

Last year ITV 4 also had coverage of the Vuelta, although they're not doing it again this year (unless they've just changed their minds). We've had Tour of Britain coverage and Halfords Tour Series too. And on Monday we have a new show coming up called The Bike Show.

So then, can we expect future live coverage of the three Grand Tours and perhaps even the odd classics race or Paris-Nice or something thrown in for good measure ? In short, could future British free to air TV match what currently only Eurosport do I wonder ?

It's a no of course, but no harm in dreaming, as we're already seeing dreams come true. But how far could we come in terms of TV coverage does everyone think ?

P.S. As I write this, daughter is watching something back on TV and Cav has just popped up in a head shoulders advert. See how far we've come already :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here