Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 99th Tour de France thread, 2012.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Why is there this apparent belief that if Froome was unleashed he'd beat Wiggins? There have been a couple of climbs where he has looked stronger, but perhaps the highlights package is not showing some of the times when Wiggins has been the stronger, yesterday a case in point with the Yellow Jersey being the lead out for the sprint!

Overall I think Wiggins is the more complete rider, tactically & physically. Froomes time will come, & he is an undoubted talent but I don't agree he'd beat Wiggins on this tour if orders weren't in place.

Even the commentary team refer to it, albeit in a guarded way, evey day now. For example, on the ITV4 highlights show last night they said words to the effect that Froome would be eagerly looking forward to today's time trial because there would be no voice in his ear hauling him back in line. IMHO it has overshadowed the Brits achievement in almost certainly winning Le Tour this year. We'll never be sure that the best Brit won. And I don't just say that because I've got a bet riding on Froome. Tho I will be backing him in the time trial today... :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Even the commentary team refer to it, albeit in a guarded way, evey day now. For example, on the ITV4 highlights show last night they said words to the effect that Froome would be eagerly looking forward to today's time trial because there would be no voice in his ear hauling him back in line. IMHO it has overshadowed the Brits achievement in almost certainly winning Le Tour this year. We'll never be sure that the best Brit won. And I don't just say that because I've got a bet riding on Froome. Tho I will be backing him in the time trial today... :thumbsup:
We can be sure the best team has won.
The leader of that team has won.
And that leader is British.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stage 19:-

tdf12.st19.map19_600.jpg

tdf12.st19.profile19_600.jpg

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
With Wiggins 2 mins. in front of Froome the team has to prioritize Wiggins. If Froome had free range and attacked maybe breaking Wiggins in the process and then hit 'the wall' himself Team Sky would have thrown away an almost certain tour win. This way was the way any team would have done it. Also, Froome has had absolutely no expectations on his shoulders, there's a big difference deciding whether to attack if you've got something to lose. Let's also not forget that apart from Froome, Wiggins has beaten all the other GC climbers. Not being able to respond immediately to a tempo change doesn't mean he couldn't get back on terms in a short space of time. In the old days the top riders often rode in nearly every race, even all the grand tours, this is no longer the case so what Wiggins has (so far) achieved this year is absolutely amazing, 3 of the biggest stage races and now here and the season's not even finished yet!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I think with Sky buttoning the race down, the commentators have had to invent things to comment on. It's a bit of a none story to me, because as others have said neither is racing each other & Brad has no need to respond if Froome attacks even though he might well have responded like he was able to do on his own to Nibali the other day. Wiggins has been superb.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:bowdown:

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
We invented the penny farthing. It's only right what has happened

Still not sure?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As [MENTION=2551]Stoichkov[/MENTION] has said somewhere.

It's comparatively easy to take big chunks of time up a high mountain.
5 minutes in 2-3 kms is doable.

The problem comes the next day after such an effort.

Sky didn't allow for a 'nip and tuck' Tour, being the first 2.

What today has clearly shown is GB/Sky had the 2 best riders in the race and they have finished first & second.
Happy happy days.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
1 more stage [MENTION=205]Tom Hark, Preston Park[/MENTION] :lol:

Just out of interest, how much money will you win?

At some point, I'm going to cash in on all this money I'm giving you.

It'll be pie and pints a plenty.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
1 more stage [MENTION=205]Tom Hark, Preston Park[/MENTION] :lol:

Just out of interest, how much money will you win?

At some point, I'm going to cash in on all this money I'm giving you.

It'll be pie and pints a plenty.

Well my 28/1 pays out 1/4 of the odds on the first three places. So I'm thinking £80 for 2nd place. Of which I'll be making a donation to REMF, as I said I would, and more than happy to spend the remainder on a pie'n'pint fest with your good self for your wise as always cycling selection advice.
Going to the FDM Testimonial by any chance? :cheers:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well my 28/1 pays out 1/4 of the odds on the first three places. So I'm thinking £80 for 2nd place. Of which I'll be making a donation to REMF, as I said I would, and more than happy to spend the remainder on a pie'n'pint fest with your good self for your wise as always cycling selection advice.
Going to the FDM Testimonial by any chance? :cheers:
Just pulling your leg you spend away.

The only downer is your win, Brad win, Froome's place, is all down to Jonah Stat NOT placing any bets :down:
Rolland was only 10 minutes down, and I still say Ryder would have been somewhere between the 2, but for the crash.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here