Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 99th Tour de France thread, 2012.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stage 17:-

tdf12.st17.map17_600.jpg

tdf12.st17.profile17_600.jpg

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Only in so far as there are shared long tables, in the staff and riders canteen at the NCC, where I've eaten when I've been working there.

It wasn't QUITE what you'd call a DATE....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Only in so far as there are shared long tables, in the staff and riders canteen at the NCC, where I've eaten when I've been working there.

It wasn't QUITE what you'd call a DATE....
I'd call that marriage.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Tommy Voeckler's facial expressions are superb ! Love him as a rider.

Yep I love him too, I'm really happy that a Frenchman is KoM, carries on the Virenque tradition, the French deserve their treasured polka dots

What a tough day today , it's so easy watching With these stunning backdrops to forget how tough it is in 35 degree heat.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
What forums?

I've been watching the race. It''s been dead set boring. Possibly one of the most boring I've seen n 20 years of watching the tour.

Sagan has been the highlight by a long stretch.

I heard about the Continentals saying pretty much the same thing, it hadn't occurred to me that non Brits might think like this.
Whereas to me every minute has been some of the most joyous sporting viewing I've ever seen and Sky nullifying the whole thing fascinating. Maybe they feel like I did watching the Italians play football in the 90s. Boring depressed resignation, ha ha, so glad we're dishing it out for a change!

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I heard about the Continentals saying pretty much the same thing, it hadn't occurred to me that non Brits might think like this.
Whereas to me every minute has been some of the most joyous sporting viewing I've ever seen and Sky nullifying the whole thing fascinating. Maybe they feel like I did watching the Italians play football in the 90s. Boring depressed resignation, ha ha, so glad we're dishing it out for a change!

Nationalities have nothing to do with it. I'd rather the Anglos dominate the sport because it means I can understand the interviews after the race.

For example, Australians have played a big part in Sky's efforts thus far. Still doesn't mean I can't view it as being one of the most lack lustre and dull tours from the GC point of view.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
What, hating that the Brits are going to finish first and second, while the Aussie champion collapses in a heap of whinge?

What a moronic comment.

Especially given there's a couple of Aussies who have contributed to Sky's success at this tour.

I don't follow BMC and I've never been a huge Evans fan.

Given I stated Richie Porte was a smokey I liked in the tour on this very thread it proves your comments are utter crap.

So fail on your behalf once again.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I put the boring nature of this year's event is because of more TV coverage on terrestrial TV. Not the best by a long chalk.

Good route for Friday with a summit finish (double mountain points). It will test the mettle of any rider.

I think it has a lot to do with the course they planned out.

It's been relatively easy on the riders compared to the last few seasons. And for mine that's exposed the GC ranks for being quite average at present because some of the faovured riders have been dropped in places they shouldn't have been.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sky are doing what they have to do to win, which is fascinating, and great for us to watch.
I can see why your average Spaniard would be less than impressed, until today!.

The first TT has gone some way to put a spanner in the works, as it was there to bring everybody on GC back together.
But with nobody really going for it on the hills prior, all it did was hand Le Tour to Brad.

As much as we have to get used to watching a clean Tour.
Perhaps the teams need to ride with a 'clean' mentality, just going for it on the last 2 mountain stages isn't enough, anymore.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The course is as it is because of the Olympics, and the centenary next year.

So next year will be a greatest hits package, which will play into the hands of Contador.
Irrespective of his doping he'll still have all but one of the attributes to win.
He won't have (or at least is unlikely to) the team.

We now know the contenders from this year can't ride Sky's tempo.

Can Contador?
Could AS do what Cadel couldn't, and ride off the front?

Sadly as the contenders have been lacking this year, it will be more of a show with Contador back.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Check out this data. Certainly suggests that this year's tour is much cleaner and that if contador wasn't juiced in 2009 then everyone is screwed of he turns up next year in top form.

https://p.twimg.com/AyHW3jZCUAAHywR.jpg

It's easy to read too much into climbing speed over different climbs in different situations though. One of Armstrong's Alp d'Huez rides was an ITT, where bunch racing is against the others on the road, not the clock. This is certainly not a defence of any of the named riders, just a warning about the nature of statisics!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here