Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 99th Tour de France thread, 2012.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
On to one of the more baffling questions of Le Tour: the post-victory kissing routine: two cheeks or not two cheeks? That is the question. Under what circumstances do they add that third peck on the cheek? What's the etiquette? WELL? ???

Its a minefield innit.

In the pro peloton though, the 3rd kiss of a podium girl is code for letting the rider know they're up for some 'action' later. George Hincapie ended up marrying one after getting the come-on '3rd kiss'

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
cycling has done a damn sight more than athletics, in the last 5 years, than they have in the last 24.
Honestly? So does that mean athletics is still ruined by drugs? I thought the Olympics made a lot of effort.
Cycling was endemic, as said by Paul Kimmage in rough Rider and Dave Millar in (?).
There was a code, anyone pissing in the soup, pointing to the users, was hounded out of the sport.
Just amazing that that could happen. I'd have filmed the lot of them and sold the story.

Germany pulling all TV coverage of Le Tour, was a major event.
That's how I've always felt about it, what's the point. The thing is though, there will always be individuals willing to cheat, and only testing will stop that. I know you've made the point that no one would want to ruin it for the rest, but the facts is that a nobody sportsman will cheat to win if they can.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Honestly? So does that mean athletics is still ruined by drugs? I thought the Olympics made a lot of effort.

At the Beijing Olympics Usain Bolt complained that he wouldn't have enough blood left to compete. That doesn't sound like someone who's used to regular testing. The sooner Biological Passports are mandatory across all sports the better.

Just amazing that that could happen. I'd have filmed the lot of them and sold the story.

It just shows how ingrained it was. Team management are quite often ex-riders. If they were riding for managers who endorsed drug use (it's just what you did) then they're more likely to pass it on to their riders in the future. It becomes 'normal' to dope. Of course there are always exceptions to the rule, but if your career and the future of your family depends on you staying in the sport you love, and you're a lone voice against the rest then it's mighty difficult to be taken seriously, or be employed at all.

That's how I've always felt about it, what's the point. The thing is though, there will always be individuals willing to cheat, and only testing will stop that. I know you've made the point that no one would want to ruin it for the rest, but the facts is that a nobody sportsman will cheat to win if they can.

That's where the Bio Passports help. If there's a 5+ years long string of your blood values that the governing body have, and you're tested a lot (especially if you win) then it's very difficult to get the improvement required and stay under the radar. I don't think it's impossible yet, but it's getting there.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
How nice has the weather been all week for the tour!? It has looked lovely...

I always think the setting is the real star of the show for Le Tour. All these sleepy fantastic-looking totally obscure small towns. In many ways, despite being our closest neighbour, France is as mysterious to us as, say, Albania.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
At the Beijing Olympics Usain Bolt complained that he wouldn't have enough blood left to compete. That doesn't sound like someone who's used to regular testing.
No, although it depends if he was being serious.
The sooner Biological Passports are mandatory across all sports the better.
So (forgive my ignorance) how many sports are these passports mandatory in? I'd have guessed the Olympics led the way in testing, given how most of the Olympics is down to strength and fitness, how international it is, and how systematic cheating has been in some countries.

It becomes 'normal' to dope. Of course there are always exceptions to the rule, but if your career and the future of your family depends on you staying in the sport you love, and you're a lone voice against the rest then it's mighty difficult to be taken seriously, or be employed at all.
Oh without doubt. But given how it made a joke of the sport, I wouldn't be looking to change it from within, I'd be looking to expose it. Join in (or at least appear to) with the drug taking, and secretly film the lot of them.

I forget exactly what the story was when all the riders sat down mid stage, but I seem to remember just assuming that most riders were on drugs.

That's where the Bio Passports help. If there's a 5+ years long string of your blood values that the governing body have, and you're tested a lot (especially if you win) then it's very difficult to get the improvement required and stay under the radar. I don't think it's impossible yet, but it's getting there.
Sounds excellent.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Oh without doubt. But given how it made a joke of the sport, I wouldn't be looking to change it from within, I'd be looking to expose it. Join in (or at least appear to) with the drug taking, and secretly film the lot of them.

Easy to say unless you're risking your livelihood, loss of all your friends, putting your family in danger.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've been so involved with [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION] I've been remiss in my, self appointed, duties.

Stage 12:-

1 David Millar (GBr) Garmin - Sharp 5:42:46
2 Jean-Christophe Peraud (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale
3 Egoi Martinez De Esteban (Spa) Euskaltel - Euskadi 0:00:05
4 Cyril Gautier (Fra) Team Europcar
5 Robert Kiserlovski (Cro) Astana Pro Team
6 Peter Sagan (Svk) Liquigas-Cannondale 0:07:53
7 Matthew Harley Goss (Aus) Orica GreenEdge Cycling Team
8 Sébastien Hinault (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:07:54
9 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team
10 Luca Paolini (Ita) Katusha Team

GC:-

1 Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Sky Procycling 54:34:33
2 Christopher Froome (GBr) Sky Procycling 0:02:05
3 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas-Cannondale 0:02:23
4 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:03:19
5 Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Bel) Lotto Belisol Team 0:04:48
6 Haimar Zubeldia Agirre (Spa) RadioShack-Nissan 0:06:15
7 Tejay Van Garderen (USA) BMC Racing Team 0:06:57
8 Janez Brajkovic (Slo) Astana Pro Team 0:07:30
9 Pierre Rolland (Fra) Team Europcar 0:08:31
10 Thibaut Pinot (Fra) FDJ-Big Mat 0:08:51

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stage 13:-

tdf12.st13.map13_600.jpg

tdf12.st13.profile13_600.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've been waiting for this:-

We're hearing reports that Team Sky's Aussie duo Michael Rogers and Richie Porte were booed by Australian fans at the start this morning, who were clearly upset by their support for Bradley Wiggins at the expense of Cadel Evans

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I've been so involved with [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION] I've been remiss in my, self appointed, duties.
Please remove that from your post, we agreed not to talk about it in an open forum.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Bloody hell! I took morkov out last night and he's in the break. I'm getting seriously good at predicting the break a day too early.

Can you tell me who you are transferring out each day? I'll walk this thing with that kind of knowledge. To be fair I would not worry too much about the break today, there is only an intermediate sprint and one cat 3 to score points off of, and maybe the most combative rider. They will not be allowed to go to the end today, there is only one other sprinters stage left. My pick for today is Matthew Harley Goss, this stage looks perfect for him. I would go for Sagan but there is no credit for picking him as a winner as it is too obvious.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Please remove that from your post, we agreed not to talk about it in an open forum.
It has just occurred to me, although I'm enjoying answering the questions, as best I can, why the fairly intense interest?

To my knowledge Cycling has the only b/passport.

And the sit down protest, from memory was during the Festina Affair, and the riders were up in arms about ALL being treated like cheats. (My memory is a little hazy on that, but someone will know better than me).
What I do remember is it was lead by Bernie Riis, a now self confessed doper.
Those were the days.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can you tell me who you are transferring out each day? I'll walk this thing with that kind of knowledge. To be fair I would not worry too much about the break today, there is only an intermediate sprint and one cat 3 to score points off of, and maybe the most combative rider. They will not be allowed to go to the end today, there is only one other sprinters stage left. My pick for today is Matthew Harley Goss, this stage looks perfect for him. I would go for Sagan but there is no credit for picking him as a winner as it is too obvious.
I'm sprint-tastic today.
Cav, Sagan & Veelers.

Why won't I have Grippel in my team?

I don't think I've had any dom help all tour.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
bastard.
The one day I don't check.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
They are really going for it, 70kmh on the flat! There are going to be splits for certain once they hit the coast.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nice bit of Box Hill training.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here