Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 99th Tour de France thread, 2012.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Without having read through the rest of the thread, is Bradley Wiggins one of the few people in the world who goes to work dressed like a Mod?

I'm not talking about the Nazi uniforms needed to arbitrate on this board, I mean the sharp haircut, the dark glasses, the attitude, the cycling top... all that's missing is saying 'Smart' every other word.
He also has a 'shed' at the bottom of his garden that doubles up as a shrine to all things Mod and Paul Weller.

Cycling and The Mod's go back further than Weller & the early '80's

Paul Smith, clothes designer, is the 'Mr Cycling Fashion' of British cycling, he might even have been a competitive rider in the 60's, I can't quite remember.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Without having read through the rest of the thread, is Bradley Wiggins one of the few people in the world who goes to work dressed like a Mod?

I'm not talking about the Nazi uniforms needed to arbitrate on this board, I mean the sharp haircut, the dark glasses, the attitude, the cycling top... all that's missing is saying 'Smart' every other word.

I'm more amazed that he wasn't wearing sunglasses during the time trial yesterday - it's the same with tennis players (although at least a few players were wearing them at Wimbledon this year) - why would you want to squint into the sun for hours on end, increasing your propensity to get crow's feet and exposing the thin skin around the eye area to damaging UV rays for that length of time. If Cheeky Monkey was a pro footballer he would be the only one on the pitch wearing sunglasses I'm afraid NSC.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I'm more amazed that he wasn't wearing sunglasses during the time trial yesterday - it's the same with tennis players (although at least a few players were wearing them at Wimbledon this year) - why would you want to squint into the sun for hours on end, increasing your propensity to get crow's feet and exposing the thin skin around the eye area to damaging UV rays for that length of time. If Cheeky Monkey was a pro footballer he would be the only one on the pitch wearing sunglasses I'm afraid NSC.

He started out with them on then chucked them away at some point during the ride I believe.

bettiniphoto_0115903_1_full_600.jpg

000_dv1213139_600.jpg

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton

He might have been hot. There's virtually no air flow those those TT helmets and even less with the visor. Get too hot and performance drops right off.

I remember one of the photographers bemoaning the increase in sunglasses in the 1980's as it hid the riders eyes. Of course, if you're having a bad day, this is a useful ploy to hide your sunken eyes from your rivals!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He started out with them on then chucked them away at some point during the ride I believe.
Nice find, certainly beats a bidon.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
For geeks interested in the power outputs of the riders this is worth a look:

The Science of Sport

And, this is encouraging

"So, in terms of what that means for Wiggins and co at the front of the stage, it predicts about 6.4 to 6.5 W/kg. Over 16 minutes, that's not at all unreasonable. To give you some context, calculations of climbing power output in the Tour de France in the 1990s and 2000s often estimated that top riders maintained power outputs of 6.4 to 6.5W/kg on the Tour's HC climbs, most of which take over 40 minutes to climb. So in other words, there was an era where the best riders were maintaining similar power outputs to what we saw on Saturday, for three times the duration. Put differently, all those riders would probably have been a minute clear of this current generation on this climb..."

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
For geeks interested in the power outputs of the riders this is worth a look:

The Science of Sport

And, this is encouraging

"So, in terms of what that means for Wiggins and co at the front of the stage, it predicts about 6.4 to 6.5 W/kg. Over 16 minutes, that's not at all unreasonable. To give you some context, calculations of climbing power output in the Tour de France in the 1990s and 2000s often estimated that top riders maintained power outputs of 6.4 to 6.5W/kg on the Tour's HC climbs, most of which take over 40 minutes to climb. So in other words, there was an era where the best riders were maintaining similar power outputs to what we saw on Saturday, for three times the duration. Put differently, all those riders would probably have been a minute clear of this current generation on this climb..."

I'd read some similar analysis of climbing power compared to 10-12 years ago. Apparently in the late 90s and early 2000s some climbers were managing 6.9W/kg for around 20 minutes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here