Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 99th Tour de France thread, 2012.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Matthew Goss I like for the Green jersey. Green Edge aren't racing for the GC so Goss will have a lot of support thrown behind him in a team full of talented riders.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
As usual Le Tour will come down to whether the mountain climbs can put enough time into the Time Triallers.
Nibali is fast going up, and one of the fastest coming down, which is more important than you might think.
But this Tour is weighed heavier in favour of the Time Triallers, which isn't Nabali's thing.

Thanks for the info. I have him e/w so here's hoping. It might encourage me to get into it this year. Haven't been in to it since I had to do a project on Miguel Indurain at school!

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
Yes it would be nice to see two british jersey winners, Brad and Cav but I'm not sure Cav will have the support this year, plus he may quit before the mountains to save himself for the olympics? A couple of wins would still be good though.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Maybe, but he'll have to destroy himself for Brad in the mountains so he'll roll in well down on a few stages. Also, will be told not to kill himself in the time trial if needed for the mountains.

Often surprise top ten finishes are helpers of the top riders. He can climb and he can time trial so he'll be there abouts during the 3weeks.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
None of the Sky boys will be hiding.
Froome at 25's is a cracking bet, as he'll be #1 backup should something happen to Brad.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Le Tour is not Le Tour without an accompanying book, fortunately, today, this arrived via NSC from Amazon:-

51bJ5Omx8%2BL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
None of the Sky boys will be hiding.
Froome at 25's is a cracking bet, as he'll be #1 backup should something happen to Brad.
25's for a guy who finished in last year's Vuelta is indeed good value as Sky were working for Wiggins in that too. For years I can remember watching le Tour and the best hope was that someone like Robert Millar, Max Sciandri or Sean Yates might nick a breakaway win otherwise British riders (or usually just the one) were anonymous. Now every flat finish is spent looking for Cavendish to come through and after every stage there are well-placed Brits. Exciting times

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
This is indeed a time of riches for us Brits, I'd almost given up hoping for this kind of success. Fancy winning Paris-Nice, Romandy and the Dauphiné in one season! It's so nice hearing praise on Belgian TV for Brad and Cav. Of course they like it that Wiggins was born here. Just the fact that we've got someone to follow for the "eindklassement" is fantastic, I'm really looking forward to it. Two of my favourite memories (apart from British success) are 1976 when Cyrille Guimard (team leader) told Lucien van Impe to attack Joop Zoetemelk and when he at first refused was told that if he didn't he (Guimard) would run him off the road with his car! He did attack and won the Tour. The other is 1987 when I had Roche in the sweepstake at work, the only time I ever won :)

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Le Tour is not Le Tour without an accompanying book, fortunately, today, this arrived via NSC from Amazon:-

51bJ5Omx8%2BL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Bought the official Tour guide in Tesco the other week. A slightly steep £10 but includes a comprehensive magazine on all the teams/stages/past records/bikes etc etc, DVD of last year's tour, large Tour map, and a book with extracts from several cycling biographies, including Half Man Half Bike.

I've just booked hotel and Eurostar to take my step-dad to see this years final stage for his 80th birthday. He is a massive fan and raced professionally in his younger days. I've looked for tickets for the grandstand (or anywhere) as given his age it's obviously better we get a seat but the cheapest deal I can find is £199 packages where all you get is a seat and free soft drinks. Given that I'm paying for 4 of us in total this is pretty punchy. I've tried to buy tickets directly but they don't sell to individuals, only hospitality companies.

Does anyone have any helpful advice on where I might be able to buy seats, or find a seated area with good views of the Champs-Elysees? Any help much appreciated.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This is indeed a time of riches for us Brits, I'd almost given up hoping for this kind of success. Fancy winning Paris-Nice, Romandy and the Dauphiné in one season! It's so nice hearing praise on Belgian TV for Brad and Cav. Of course they like it that Wiggins was born here. Just the fact that we've got someone to follow for the "eindklassement" is fantastic, I'm really looking forward to it. Two of my favourite memories (apart from British success) are 1976 when Cyrille Guimard (team leader) told Lucien van Impe to attack Joop Zoetemelk and when he at first refused was told that if he didn't he (Guimard) would run him off the road with his car! He did attack and won the Tour. The other is 1987 when I had Roche in the sweepstake at work, the only time I ever won :)
Part of Team GB's ethos for cycling, is to know cycling, proper lessons for the jnrs.

So when Cav turns up, speaking in whatever language he can telling them the history and past winners of Scheldeprijs, they quite rightly love him for it.
Soccerballists they ain't.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Yes yes yes, bring it on the spills and thrills, I am all out for Brad this year and the wonder that is Dave Braisford will deliever the goods.

What a ride this should be, hopefully clean, exciting races on a course designed to produce suprises early on and a finish that suits stayers and the strongest legs.

I have my offical guide and the map will hit the kitchen door on my return home this Saturday.......ALLEZ ALLEZ TDF a go go

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There are some mentals odds, on the Sky site, although traditionally Sky are very tight.

6/5 for Brad - Anyone taking that needs their head read.

There's possibly some money to be had around 20's:-

Van de Broek 18-1
Froome 20's
Nibali 22's
Gesink 22's
Sanchez 28-1

Best not forget
NSC's finest 33-1, what a double.

Pick of the rest
Rolland & Tony Martin 40-1

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Does anyone have any helpful advice on where I might be able to buy seats, or find a seated area with good views of the Champs-Elysees? Any help much appreciated.

For all our TDF adventures over the years we have nevr done Paris, I understand its amazing atmosphere and the teams are just riding around and celebrating after the finish, so cannot help you. Their is an offical tour seller of corporate hospitality now but I imagine that may cost a few quid. Some of the stands look public but I do not know what time you may need to arrive to bag a couple.

I do not know what you do for a living but its always worth checking the tour sponsors, we have done well on the back of Konika Minolta before.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here