Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 101st Tour de France, thread.

So who's going to see what of the first three stages? I have Monday off work for Stage 3, but not decided yet where to watch it. The route covers about 200 yards of my regular commute through Great Shelford, and the idea of watching the pros speed along there is appealing, but I might instead head further down the route to find a slightly quieter spot or alternatively meet my brother-in-law (who's a very keen cyclist) in London to watch it towards the end of the stage.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fuglsang!!! Kwiatowski is a similar price and more likely (despite recent wobble), Mollema is at 100s even!

Majka won't get white as he's in a right piss about being made to ride the Tour.

Yes, Froome and Contador for 1st and 2nd.

Podium? Well, Nibali is an obvious choice, but there are some interesting contenders, some of who you have not mentioned.

BMC are putting everything behind Teejay van Garderen, and he has a real chance, I think.

Talansky was fantastic in the Dauphine and I also fancy him to do well.

Rui Costa! World Champion, wearing the rainbow stripes with pride and honour. He could do well.

Bauke Mollema. His time is coming.

All these are contenders for the third podium spot, and I think that that is all that is up for grabs.
The theory only works if we're saying Nibs isn't at the races.

Talansky has to be the heir apparent, but where's the fun in that.

I think you'll be able to throw a blanket over 3rd to 8th, maybe even 10th.
But they'll be quite some distance behind Froome and Contador.

JF at 150/1 represents good value because he'll definitely be in the top 10, so why not.

All bets are off if Nibs does find his form, which I hope will be the case.
Because then the 'every second counts' dueling will be great to watch.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I do like OGE They seem like a group of blokes having a laugh, particularly when compared to the uber serious Team Sky

You mean the uber serious, and likely 3 times in a row winners, Team Sky?!

Sprint/time trial teams can lark about but GC contender teams have to be serious/ultra professional these days.

That said I also like OGE (if only they weren't Antipodean)!

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
A great event. No idea about the tactics although it was a great watch last year when all the teams worked on dropping the Sky boys. Froome stuck it out though. Pity the Columbian chap is not riding he would give Froome a race up those hills.
Got to love the mountains

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
My local town, Saffron Walden, has gone Le Tour crazy in preparation for Stage 3 passing through!!

Well, they have put up a bit of bunting and packets of carpet tacks are available on a 'buy one, get one free' basis.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My local town, Saffron Walden, has gone Le Tour crazy in preparation for Stage 3 passing through!!

Well, they have put up a bit of bunting and packets of carpet tacks are available on a 'buy one, get one free' basis.

I guess not everyone in SW shares your curmudgeonly approach to top flight international sport passing through their town.

http://www.visitessex.com/Saffron-W...ive/details/?dms=3&venue=0141438&feature=1258
http://www.visitessex.com/Saffron-W...wn!/details/?dms=3&venue=0141438&feature=1253
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Saf...business-in-Saffron-Walden-20140626140000.htm

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
So who's going to see what of the first three stages? I have Monday off work for Stage 3, but not decided yet where to watch it. The route covers about 200 yards of my regular commute through Great Shelford, and the idea of watching the pros speed along there is appealing, but I might instead head further down the route to find a slightly quieter spot or alternatively meet my brother-in-law (who's a very keen cyclist) in London to watch it towards the end of the stage.
I have the day off as well but cannot make up my mind. Olympic Park will presumably be rammed but a good atmosphere, Epping Forest might be OK.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

I grew up in Cambridge and would love to be there for the stage from there. But I can't get time off work, so I won't be. :(

I am watching on the box, and saving myself for the Tour of Britain, here and in London. That'll be some weekend.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Brkg7SQCUAIcDqh.jpg

JoshFanner

Jul 22, 2013
Does anyone have a link to every teams line up? Also, does anyone know is Rolland has definitely been confirmed as he rode the Giro?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Broq5nzCIAAOf7D.jpg

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
But they pay a duty to be on the road so no argument about them being there.

No, no they don't.

They pay vehicle excise licence which is a duty based upon emissions, nothing to do with them paying to be on the road. There are cars on the road which are exempt from VEL due to low emissions, so your logic is entirely flawed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here