Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 101st Tour de France, thread.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
But they pay a duty to be on the road so no argument about them being there.

No we don't, but that's not my point.

When I drive my car I don't want all these other cars on the road, they cause congestion & slow me down!

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Simon Yates included in the Orica GreenEdge team for the Tour, he's a good prospect but would liked to have seen his twin brother Adam given the chance after finishing 6th overall in the Dauphiné.

Adam is most likely be being saved up for the Veulta instead as he's riden a far heavier program thus far compared to Simon who is coming back from inury and would have fresher legs.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Love Le Tour. Was in St Malo and Mont St Michel (met Didi the Devil) last year and will be heading over for stage 16 starting in Carcassonne. Got some cycling in the Pyrenees lined up as well.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Adam is most likely be being saved up for the Veulta instead as he's riden a far heavier program thus far compared to Simon who is coming back from inury and would have fresher legs.

It seems cruel though, doesn't it?

I'm looking forward to the tour. This is my first season of paying attention to pro cycling.

I've got my kit ready and everything:

10447091_248205078721454_1609221833702183539_n.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Simon Yates included in the Orica GreenEdge team for the Tour, he's a good prospect but would liked to have seen his twin brother Adam given the chance after finishing 6th overall in the Dauphiné.

Also OGE finished the Giro with only 2 riders.
Even if a Yates or two finishes, they'll be pretty much on their knees, and not contributing much if anything, to the team.

'Carrying' one is a great experience, 'carrying' 2 is a lot to ask of the other 7.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Looking forward to the TV viewing. Have enjoyed the brilliant coverage going back to the mid-80's (the very end of the Hinault period, Fignon, LeMond, Roche). Even better these days with the top British riders. Liggatt, Sherwen, Boardman and Co do a great job.

The scenery is worth the viewing on its own, let alone the racing.

:smile: days

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Its not really mine and NSC's place to retrospectively ban people from the tour!!.

Le Tour is steeped in fabulous stories of cheating, since day 1 in 1903.
There's no point being a PED denier, quite how Indurain didn't pop up on your search is beyond me.

But I guess time is a great healer, and many previous winners have 'got away with it'.
This goes some way to form opinions now, and that is unfair, not only on current clean riders.
But those who point the finger from sports with no regulation minimal doping control, and are 1 scandal away from the whole thing collapsing around their ears.

Fair enough! My "research" comprised a 20 second skim read through the respective wiki pages - perhaps it was there on Indurain's page and I just didn't see it!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]483995469576564737[/tweet]

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham

I do like OGE They seem like a group of blokes having a laugh, particularly when compared to the uber serious Team Sky

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So how are we going to make money this year?

a) - Listen to [MENTION=10856]1066familyman[/MENTION]

Before he tells you what's actually going to happen here's my thoughts.

The obvious bet is:-
Froome
Contador
Nibali - always tricast.

Froome and Contador should be fighting out 1st & 2nd.
So any potential value comes from Nibali being unable to get out of his pretty poor form.

That leaves us looking at last years top 10, for clues as to who can make the step up to a podium finish.

Andrew Talansky @ 33/1 e/w would seem obvious.
The team is built around him, with very tactically minded D/S' (on road managers) in what will be a very tactical race.

But you didn't read all that just for a 33/1 5th favourite tip, so here goes.

We're assuming third place is up for grabs.
Nibali will be riding for a podium finish, but will come up short.
The Astana team has an 'every man for himself' feel to it, with big nationality divides.
A lot are leaving, and some will want to be Tour team leaders elsewhere.
That's not going to happen without a performance this year.

Therefore I give you Jakob Fuglsang @ 150/1, e/w. (1066 has just spat coffee everywhere)
He'll be top 10.
He'll be riding for Nibs.
He can make some of the time he'll (and everybody else will) lose in the high mountains on the TT.
He can sniff out a break.
Don't go large, but a couple of quid to keep it interesting, can't hurt, can it?

Yellow - Froome.
Green - Sagan.
Polka dot - Rolland.
Thibaut Pinot could be a decent outsider, if he's got over his mental issues.
White - Majka.

I'll save the stage 1, 3, & 21 bet, that I dare not speak it's name, till later.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

Therefore I give you Jakob Fuglsang @ 150/1, e/w. (1066 has just spat coffee everywhere)
He'll be top 10.
He can make some of the time he'll (and everybody else will) lose in the high mountains on the TT.
Don't go large, but a couple of quid to keep it interesting, can't hurt, can it?

Yellow - Froome.
Green - Sagan.
Polka dot - Rolland.
White - Majka.

I'll save the stage 1, 3, & 21 bet, that I dare not speak it's name, till later.

Fuglsang!!! Kwiatowski is a similar price and more likely (despite recent wobble), Mollema is at 100s even!

Majka won't get white as he's in a right piss about being made to ride the Tour.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Before he tells you what's actually going to happen here's my thoughts.

The obvious bet is:-
Froome
Contador
Nibali - always tricast.

Froome and Contador should be fighting out 1st & 2nd.
So any potential value comes from Nibali being unable to get out of his pretty poor form.

That leaves us looking at last years top 10, for clues as to who can make the step up to a podium finish.

Andrew Talansky @ 33/1 e/w would seem obvious.
The team is built around him, with very tactically minded D/S' (on road managers) in what will be a very tactical race.

But you didn't read all that just for a 33/1 5th favourite tip, so here goes.

We're assuming third place is up for grabs.
Nibali will be riding for a podium finish, but will come up short.
The Astana team has an 'every man for himself' feel to it, with big nationality divides.
A lot are leaving, and some will want to be Tour team leaders elsewhere.
That's not going to happen without a performance this year.

He'll be top 10.

Yellow - Froome.
Green - Sagan.
Polka dot - Rolland.
White - Majka.

Yes, Froome and Contador for 1st and 2nd.

Podium? Well, Nibali is an obvious choice, but there are some interesting contenders, some of who you have not mentioned.

BMC are putting everything behind Teejay van Garderen, and he has a real chance, I think.

Talansky was fantastic in the Dauphine and I also fancy him to do well.

Rui Costa! World Champion, wearing the rainbow stripes with pride and honour. He could do well.

Bauke Mollema. His time is coming.

All these are contenders for the third podium spot, and I think that that is all that is up for grabs.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Shamelessly stolen from another forum:

[yt]2Ad2o0J8MwU[/yt]

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
OGE have not taken a sprinter to the Tour so it's all about stage wins of the non sprint kind. I am going to have $1 on my fave OGE rider Simon Clarke for the KoM.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here