Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 101st Tour de France, thread.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
For someone with absolutely no interest in Cycling, the last 20KM of today has (so far) been rather exciting to watch.

The way the 2 leaders have been reeled in after leading for over 140 miles is pretty good !!

That was as boring as a stage of a bike race can be. Two man break inevitably getting caught, followed by a bunch sprint where the obvious favourite wins easily. Stages like yesterdays are the really good ones, keep watching and you will see some great entertainment.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Great finish. Giant Shimano now not only have a dominant sprinter, their lead out train is absolutely solid and clinical, it's like Cav with his old HTC team.

Sagan gave it a good go, but I think he was doing well just to hold Kittel's wheel, let alone be able to go round him!

Too easy, Kittel won't be beaten unless he falls off. Or Lotto and Quickstep stop doing all the work from 10km out, it is easy for Giant to just do the work in the last 3km. The other teams have to make them do more, that was what was so remarkable about HTC, they would lead out from 20/25km out and still have enough men for the finish.

Lotto keep doing all this work, then where is Greipel? He didn't even contest the finish.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Just watched them all go past my office window on Upper Thames Street, I don't think a lot of work has been done in The City over the past hour.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That was as boring as a stage of a bike race can be. Two man break inevitably getting caught, followed by a bunch sprint where the obvious favourite wins easily. Stages like yesterdays are the really good ones, keep watching and you will see some great entertainment.

It was still a fast exciting run in. Greipel & Lotto just don't seem to be able to get it together - was it part of their train caught in the crash? Shame Cav is out injured as that would have been hell of a finish if it had been Cav behind Kittel rather than Sagan at the end.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
It was still a fast exciting run in. Greipel & Lotto just don't seem to be able to get it together - was it part of their train caught in the crash? Shame Cav is out injured as that would have been hell of a finish if it had been Cav behind Kittel rather than Sagan at the end.

Yeah I know, Kittel's dominance is just putting a bit of a dampener on the flat stages for me.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I'm fairly new to watching cycling, so don't know a huge amount. But it looks to me that any time there is a sniff of a sprint finish, Kittel is going to win the stage. It seems that Kittel will win again tomorrow. He is just a machine.

Froome recons that stage 5 will shake up the GC with lots of cobbles. That should be interesting.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Having enjoyed the tour in Yorkshire thie weekend all i can say is fantastic and Yorkshire have done a cracking job of turning out and supporting the event.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Like I was saying yesterday [MENTION=23454]HawkTheSeagull[/MENTION]'s reaction is classic Phil & Paul.

Us gnarly old hackers are tutting and rolling our eyes at the commentary, due to the transitional nature of the stage.
Whereas newbies are buying into the 'will they won't they' nature of P & P.

I still enjoyed the stage.
Just how many people live in Great Little Bottom or where ever?
Thousands lining the route again.
Tomorrow is going to be a real culture shock for the riders.

As Pantani says there's plenty better to come, so stick with it Hawk.
Wednesday's stage is the next appointment viewing.
If you're really lucky [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION], [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] and I'm sure others who have, will be about to spice up the commentary, as they have ridden the cobbled course.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
It makes me laugh.
Everyone amazed by the millions of spectators.
Yet people are shocked that in among them is the odd moron.

What are the chances of that?

Because you never get any morons in an Albion away crowd do you? hahahahahahaha Some people you always get the odd idiot - Althpugh alot of people have no idea of how fast these cyclists are going.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
As those on Strava will realise, I climbed Cote de Blubberhouses about an hour to the race coming through. There were a few of us walked through some fields to get a better view as they were stopping people on a narrow section from going any further. We then cycled up the road to get a better vantage point. A Yorkshire police car actually stopped and said "listen we don't mind you cycling up here, but if you see any French police they will, so keep your eye out!".

Anyway I stopped at one point wondering whether it was a good place or not but decided to carry on. In the end I passed round some bends to a massive lot of cheers. I'm on my own at this point and suddenly I'm going through the full throng of people, barely a single bikes width to get through, they're all cheering whoever comes through. The KoM banner is in sight, I'm not kidding the noise and atmosphere was incredible and I go for a sprint to claim the points!!!! Ha ha, but it was one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had.

I stopped about 200m on from the kom banner, and they came flying through (a good hour later). There were thousands of cyclists up on Blubberhouses, and had a really enjoyable ride back to where I was staying.

Brilliant. Take your chances when can. How long before you get another chance to do something like that again?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
With all the trouble on the tunnel will it effect how everything gets to France in time for tomorrow's start

What trouble on the tunnel?

If the tunnel is a no go, they'll take everything on the boat. The riders will all have travelled by plane earlier.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
As those on Strava will realise, I climbed Cote de Blubberhouses about an hour to the race coming through. There were a few of us walked through some fields to get a better view as they were stopping people on a narrow section from going any further. We then cycled up the road to get a better vantage point. A Yorkshire police car actually stopped and said "listen we don't mind you cycling up here, but if you see any French police they will, so keep your eye out!".

Anyway I stopped at one point wondering whether it was a good place or not but decided to carry on. In the end I passed round some bends to a massive lot of cheers. I'm on my own at this point and suddenly I'm going through the full throng of people, barely a single bikes width to get through, they're all cheering whoever comes through. The KoM banner is in sight, I'm not kidding the noise and atmosphere was incredible and I go for a sprint to claim the points!!!! Ha ha, but it was one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had.

I stopped about 200m on from the kom banner, and they came flying through (a good hour later). There were thousands of cyclists up on Blubberhouses, and had a really enjoyable ride back to where I was staying.

[MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] - I had my NSC geeks cap on as well!

That must have been fun. I wish I had come. Schoolboy error, decision-making-wise.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stage details

Distance: 163.5

Category: Flat

Highest point: 159m

After three days in the United Kingdom, the peloton return to French shores. Yet again, this should be another clear cut chance for the sprinters and an opportunity to extend or reduce the lead in the green jersey competition. In order to stop Peter Sagan from repeating his 2013 success, the pure sprinters will have to take points at every opportunity.

By this point we will have already had a snapshot of who is in form and who hasn't got their preparation quite right. It will be one of the last chances for the pure sprinters to get on the score board before we hit the mountains at the weekend.

The riders will head east from the French coast, tackling two fourth category climbs and running alongside the Belgian boarder, before the finish in Lille, in anticipation of the following day’s key stage.

Lille has featured 14 times as a finishing town for the Tour de France. The last time was 20 years ago for the opening prologue, which was won by Chris Boardman. It was his first of three Tour de France stage wins and the result would put him into the yellow jersey for the first time. He would go onto win the prologues in 1997 and 1998, making him the Brit with the most time in the yellow jersey until Bradley Wiggins in 2012 on his way to team Sky’s first ever Tour victory.

stage_04_map_670.jpg

stage_04_profile_670.jpg

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Stage details

Distance: 163.5

Category: Flat

Highest point: 159m

After three days in the United Kingdom, the peloton return to French shores. Yet again, this should be another clear cut chance for the sprinters and an opportunity to extend or reduce the lead in the green jersey competition. In order to stop Peter Sagan from repeating his 2013 success, the pure sprinters will have to take points at every opportunity.

By this point we will have already had a snapshot of who is in form and who hasn't got their preparation quite right. It will be one of the last chances for the pure sprinters to get on the score board before we hit the mountains at the weekend.

The riders will head east from the French coast, tackling two fourth category climbs and running alongside the Belgian boarder, before the finish in Lille, in anticipation of the following day’s key stage.

Lille has featured 14 times as a finishing town for the Tour de France. The last time was 20 years ago for the opening prologue, which was won by Chris Boardman. It was his first of three Tour de France stage wins and the result would put him into the yellow jersey for the first time. He would go onto win the prologues in 1997 and 1998, making him the Brit with the most time in the yellow jersey until Bradley Wiggins in 2012 on his way to team Sky’s first ever Tour victory.

View attachment 55900

View attachment 55901

The calm before the storm.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
What time does it start on the telly and what channel? I'm going to watch it with an open mind and see if I'm genuinely missing out on something great.

EDIT: or should I start with the highlights later tonight?

EDIT 2: ..and basic tactics, what should I be looking out for so I understand whats happening?

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
What time does it start on the telly and what channel? I'm going to watch it with an open mind and see if I'm genuinely missing out on something great.

If you want to watch with an open mind, great. However, even to cycling fans, today is likely to be a very boring stage. It's flat as a pancake, and Kittel will almost certainly win, with everyone else just behind.

Tomorrow's stage, which includes some painful sections of cobbles, would be better. But the best stages to watch are when the Tour reaches the mountains - both for the scenery and the competition.

It's on ITV 4 and Eurosport, coverage starts at about midday.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
If you want to watch with an open mind, great. However, even to cycling fans, today is likely to be a very boring stage. It's flat as a pancake, and Kittel will almost certainly win, with everyone else just behind.

Tomorrow's stage, which includes some painful sections of cobbles, would be better. But the best stages to watch are when the Tour reaches the mountains - both for the scenery and the competition.

It's on ITV 4 and Eurosport, coverage starts at about midday.

That suits me better as I'm out all day today but might be able to catch some of it tomorrow.

What time does it start?

EDIT: Ooops, just seen, Midday. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here