Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 101st Tour de France, thread.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stage details

Distance: 155km

Category: Flat

Highest point: 108m

The final day in the United Kingdom brings the riders down to the capital, scene of the country's last Grand Départ. The short 155-kilometre trip from Cambridge to London will give the riders a chance to see a bit more of the country, before they head back to France. It is the flattest of the three days in Britain and will almost certainly end in a bunch sprint. Also, after a tough stage 2, it will be a chance for the GC riders to take things a little easier.

As the stage reaches the finish the course will take in some of the most iconic sights of London. It passes through Stratford, riding by the Olympic stadium, then along the River Thames, before finishing on The Mall, in front of Buckingham palace.

This London thoroughfare has become a regular for the peloton in recent years, most notably at the Olympic Games when Alexander Vinokourov beat Rigoberto Urán to victory. It's unlikely that a breakaway will be able to make it stick on this stage, but we've seen at previous races that you can’t count your chickens too early.

Arnaud Démare has previous here too, after winning the inaugural Prudential RideLondon ahead of Sacha Modolo. However, he'll have much tougher competition here from Mark Cavendish, Marcel Kittel and André Greipel.

stage_03_map_670.jpg

stage_03_profile_670.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
As those on Strava will realise, I climbed Cote de Blubberhouses about an hour to the race coming through. There were a few of us walked through some fields to get a better view as they were stopping people on a narrow section from going any further. We then cycled up the road to get a better vantage point. A Yorkshire police car actually stopped and said "listen we don't mind you cycling up here, but if you see any French police they will, so keep your eye out!".

Anyway I stopped at one point wondering whether it was a good place or not but decided to carry on. In the end I passed round some bends to a massive lot of cheers. I'm on my own at this point and suddenly I'm going through the full throng of people, barely a single bikes width to get through, they're all cheering whoever comes through. The KoM banner is in sight, I'm not kidding the noise and atmosphere was incredible and I go for a sprint to claim the points!!!! Ha ha, but it was one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had.

I stopped about 200m on from the kom banner, and they came flying through (a good hour later). There were thousands of cyclists up on Blubberhouses, and had a really enjoyable ride back to where I was staying.

[MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] - I had my NSC geeks cap on as well!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As those on Strava will realise, I climbed Cote de Blubberhouses about an hour to the race coming through. There were a few of us walked through some fields to get a better view as they were stopping people on a narrow section from going any further. We then cycled up the road to get a better vantage point. A Yorkshire police car actually stopped and said "listen we don't mind you cycling up here, but if you see any French police they will, so keep your eye out!".

Anyway I stopped at one point wondering whether it was a good place or not but decided to carry on. In the end I passed round some bends to a massive lot of cheers. I'm on my own at this point and suddenly I'm going through the full throng of people, barely a single bikes width to get through, they're all cheering whoever comes through. The KoM banner is in sight, I'm not kidding the noise and atmosphere was incredible and I go for a sprint to claim the points!!!! Ha ha, but it was one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had.

I stopped about 200m on from the kom banner, and they came flying through (a good hour later). There were thousands of cyclists up on Blubberhouses, and had a really enjoyable ride back to where I was staying.

Wow wow and thrice wow.

Did you read about the fella who was driving an F1 car around Silverstone, an hour before the Grand Prix.
Oh no you wouldn't have done, would you.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The break early on Stage 1 (2 mins 10 secs I timed and we were only 6 miles from the competitive start). The peloton, and Cavendish when he was nicely sat within his team still a long way from any trouble…

IMG_0045.jpgIMG_0065.jpgIMG_0068.jpgIMG_0069.jpg

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Had an excellent weekend in Yorkshire, its been said before but the crowds were incredible. Was around 750m from the finish in Harrogate and then on Sunday morning saw them roll through in York.

Amazing experience, will try and post some pics when I get time.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Massive crowds today, again. In going through each large village/small town in East Anglia, crowds have been several rows thick on both sides of the road. ITV/Tour cameras have also shown a lot of historic buildings and locations. This is showing England in good light to viewers already over the World. Loving the Tour as ever.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Coquard looked very good in that intermediate sprint, he seems to be going well so far. It would be nice if he, or someone else, could beat Kittel today. Otherwise the sprint stages might start to look a bit like a procession.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Coquard looked very good in that intermediate sprint, he seems to be going well so far. It would be nice if he, or someone else, could beat Kittel today. Otherwise the sprint stages might start to look a bit like a procession.

Looked like they took Cannondale by surprise there, Coquard had a smaller train as well.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Who's betting on a crash?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It makes me laugh.
Everyone amazed by the millions of spectators.
Yet people are shocked that in among them is the odd moron.

What are the chances of that?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
It makes me laugh.
Everyone amazed by the millions of spectators.
Yet people are shocked that in among them is the odd moron.

What are the chances of that?

The only exciting parts are the crashes!

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
For someone with absolutely no interest in Cycling, the last 20KM of today has (so far) been rather exciting to watch.

The way the 2 leaders have been reeled in after leading for over 140 miles is pretty good !!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Great finish. Giant Shimano now not only have a dominant sprinter, their lead out train is absolutely solid and clinical, it's like Cav with his old HTC team.

Sagan gave it a good go, but I think he was doing well just to hold Kittel's wheel, let alone be able to go round him!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here