Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Non-League Football Thread- 2022/23 Edition

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
Really entertaining match at The Sportsfield this afternoon, Littlehampton running out deserved 2-0 winners against top of the table Ramsgate. Haven't seen as much of LA as I did last season, they are a much changed side, but they were very impressive today in a game which most would have had them down to lose. Slightly disappointing crowd of 263, but those who made the effort were rewarded with a Joe Benn piledriver and a rare Dion Jarvis right-footed finish. Forgotten how much I enjoy the non-league game, much more honest and free from the blight of VAR / 'game-management'.
Went back up the road for some more this evening; very pleased I made the effort. Littlehampton put in a second impressive performance inside four days with a convincing 4-1 win against Beckenham Town, who arrived in 6th place and on the back of three straight wins. Marigolds really running into a rich vein of form it seems, just a point outside the play off positions. Got a tough looking trip to Chatham on Saturday, who have won all 7 of their home league games to date this season. Should be a great game, tempted to make the journey.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Went back up the road for some more this evening; very pleased I made the effort. Littlehampton put in a second impressive performance inside four days with a convincing 4-1 win against Beckenham Town, who arrived in 6th place and on the back of three straight wins. Marigolds really running into a rich vein of form it seems, just a point outside the play off positions. Got a tough looking trip to Chatham on Saturday, who have won all 7 of their home league games to date this season. Should be a great game, tempted to make the journey.
On the back of the Ramsgate and Beckenham wins l'd go ahead and make the trip if l were you.

At Horshamm YMCA we were drawn at home to Beckenham Town in the first preliminary round of the FA Cup and we were put to the sword. A great result for your boys.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I follow several local teams but have a real dislike for Littlehampton and their knuckle-dragging supporters. Three separate occasions I’ve witnessed their fans being absolute bellends - and not just one or two.

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
I follow several local teams but have a real dislike for Littlehampton and their knuckle-dragging supporters. Three separate occasions I’ve witnessed their fans being absolute bellends - and not just one or two.
I understand why you might feel like that (I've witnessed plenty of it myself), but its a little unfair on the vast majority of our supporters. If you look back through this thread or, perhaps more relevantly, last season's edition of it, you will find plenty of discussion on this very point. Hopefully it reached its nadir last season because, with a couple of early season exceptions, the group in question seem to have melted away. I think the high profile nature of last season's multiple on-pitch successes got a few older 'faces' a little over-excited, and the yoof seemed to follow their example. Admission fees have almost doubled and there is better stewarding in place which, in combination with the lack of any really high profile games, has resulted in lower and better behaved crowds.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I understand why you might feel like that (I've witnessed plenty of it myself), but its a little unfair on the vast majority of our supporters. If you look back through this thread or, perhaps more relevantly, last season's edition of it, you will find plenty of discussion on this very point. Hopefully it reached its nadir last season because, with a couple of early season exceptions, the group in question seem to have melted away. I think the high profile nature of last season's multiple on-pitch successes got a few older 'faces' a little over-excited, and the yoof seemed to follow their example. Admission fees have almost doubled and there is better stewarding in place which, in combination with the lack of any really high profile games, has resulted in lower and better behaved crowds.
Fingers crossed. The main thing is they have identified a problem and are working towards solutions, rather than going the Millwall route of “everyone hates us, we don’t care” and continuing to act disgracefully.

Next LA games I see hopefully there won’t be a single “incident” and I can change my opinion.

Greenbag50

Jun 1, 2016
Looking forward to the mighty southern clash of Worthing vs Cheltenham Sat. Hope burgers are good

seagull over sevenoaks

Jul 14, 2003
What about non-league clubs doing offers for the world cup? Haywards Heath Town are doing half price entry with a prem or championship season ticket. Decent burger there too!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
A choice between AFC Varndenians (sp) v Steyning at the Withdean tomorrow, or Worthing v Chelmsford at Woodside Road. Undecided but Worthing just edging it I think. Not worried about any deals during the WC, non league is still generally very affordable at regular entry prices.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Just back from an entertaining , but very chilly match at Lewes. Bowers dominated the first half and sailed into a 2-0 lead, Lewes upped the ante in the second half and eventually equalising deservedly in the 95th minute

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Just back from an entertaining , but very chilly match at Lewes. Bowers dominated the first half and sailed into a 2-0 lead, Lewes upped the ante in the second half and eventually equalising deservedly in the 95th minute
Hugely entertaining. A 20 man brawl in the goalmouth shortly before the goal was also amusing...and then the equaliser straight in from a corner.

That was great fun.

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
On the back of the Ramsgate and Beckenham wins l'd go ahead and make the trip if l were you.

At Horshamm YMCA we were drawn at home to Beckenham Town in the first preliminary round of the FA Cup and we were put to the sword. A great result for your boys.
I did make the trip to Chatham this afternoon and, although the result went against us, I was not disappointed. What an incredible set-up they have there, a real reminder of how far Littlehampton have come in such a short space of time to be playing at venues like that. The game was a tight one, Chatham making it 8 straight home league wins this season with a close range finish that the visiting team were very unhappy about - I think they must have been claiming offisde, but as it was up the other end I'm not too sure. Just shy of 700 there, which is actually on the low side for Chatham. A real sense of community about the place, cracking club house, food outlets and even what looked like low-level corporate hospitality.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
An excellent game at Woodside Road, Chelmsford were superbly well drilled and simply had the better of Worthing, well deserved 3-1 win over the Rebels. A fantastic advert for the National League South, skill, tactics, strength and talent in abundance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here