Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Non-League Football Thread- 2022/23 Edition

Worthing are certainly missing their skipper and centre back Aaron Racine who is currently away on a cruise I believe! Holiday originally planned in summer of 2020 for his dad's 60th - but cancelled due to Covid and was only possible to arrange for now - while the season was still on. Going to miss another 4 games I believe. The other CB ... young Joe Rye ... also missing (I assume due to injury). These two are very solid so to have both out is/was a big loss.

But yes, an incredibly entertaining game ... although tarnished as some young feral idiot behind the goal lobbed a bottle of p*** onto the pitch in the second half which was noted by the ref and is likely to result in a hefty fine for a non league club!

My 12th game at Woodside Road this season - and the first defeat for Worthing!

Att: 1,262
Fair to say all of us are utterly embarrassed at the bottle throwing moron's actions. No shock that it was a member of a group of high school age kids, who all closed rank when the rest of us behind the goal called them out and asked them to call out their mate who did it, as none of us saw who actually threw the bottle. One idiot costing the club a couple of grand is the culprit, but the club have to take some responsibility for the lack of stewards or security there yesterday. They've done a better job this season at identifying and ejecting/banning problem kids in the crowd who aren't there for the football and are causing antisocial behaviour, sneaked booze in etc., but it felt massively understaffed in that regard yesterday.

A lot of progress had been made this season in trying to get the younger elements who stand with the Away Boys group behind the goal more integrated, singing with or even starting chants, curbing behaviour that was out of order and trying to create the right fan culture. And that sort of positive progress can all get undone so quickly by one teenage moron trying to impress his mates and not caring about the consequences it has for the club or fan's reputation.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Fair to say all of us are utterly embarrassed at the bottle throwing moron's actions. No shock that it was a member of a group of high school age kids, who all closed rank when the rest of us behind the goal called them out and asked them to call out their mate who did it, as none of us saw who actually threw the bottle. One idiot costing the club a couple of grand is the culprit, but the club have to take some responsibility for the lack of stewards or security there yesterday. They've done a better job this season at identifying and ejecting/banning problem kids in the crowd who aren't there for the football and are causing antisocial behaviour, sneaked booze in etc., but it felt massively understaffed in that regard yesterday.

A lot of progress had been made this season in trying to get the younger elements who stand with the Away Boys group behind the goal more integrated, singing with or even starting chants, curbing behaviour that was out of order and trying to create the right fan culture. And that sort of positive progress can all get undone so quickly by one teenage moron trying to impress his mates and not caring about the consequences it has for the club or fan's reputation.
Very well said. Security was beefed up after the Dover game at the start of the season ... but it does seem to have talked off recently.

I'm sure the fine will focus the minds of the club once again on stamping out that behaviour. Good to hear about the progress being made overall though re educating these youngsters ... so they can still have a great time ... without stepping over the line!

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Callum Kealy moving from Worthing to Havant is a real shame for us. Completely understand it on his end, going from a part time to full time club and likely on higher wages as well.

Had a superb first half of the season as our top scorer and had really stepped up more than we could have expected at this level after losing Jake Robinson to the ACL injury in the opening game. Brought something different to the rest of our options up top and will be a real loss, though based on the constant moves he's made to improve the squad throughout the season, I trust Hinsh will have a plan for getting a replacement in if he deems it necessary.

The positive is that the club gets a fee for him with him being under contract, which definitely is a necessity for our younger players so we don't lose them for nothing during the season, as was the case when Barnet were able to nab Marvin Armstrong at the end of August last year.
From what I can see Callum Kealy seems to change clubs all the time. Money talking I suppose. Sums up a lot of non league football. Couple of times have tried to get into watching local sides and each time hardly recognise any players from previous season. Must be very hard for people running these clubs.

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
Brighton played within 48 hours for the last round as a compromise, they are being expected to do it two rounds for in a row. Littlehampton have had 0 punishment for failing to control their fans, so maybe it’s time to have a look at themselves. Smashed up Hanworth Villa, and Faversham AND Whitehawk. They’ve got their own issues to deal with. Pull out the cup if it is such a big problem.

Not really wanting to go over old ground yet again, but there are two sides to every story. There was plenty of antisocial behaviour at Hanworth, but no 'smashing up' (I was there). I wasn't at either the Faversham or Whitehawk games, but know plenty who were and the issues were certainly not as one-sided as you are suggesting - especially at Whitehawk. I'm under no illusions that there are a group of idiots who turn up to the occasional Littlehampton away game looking for trouble but, as I've said several times before, I don't really see what the football club committee can be expected to do about this above what they have already done for home matches (where there have been no issues this season thanks to increased awareness and stewarding). They simply don't have the resources or expertise to manage these situations, it's a group of half a dozen 'senior' blokes who run everything. To suggest they have had 'zero punishment' is also totally wrong; a friend of mine works on the FA disciplinary panel and I regularly hear details of the fines being meted out to LTFC - which are significant for a club of such limited income.

And as for the 48hr argument in relation to the Senior Cup, that's a pretty ridiculous comparison. Littlehampton could only name two substitues last Saturday because of injuries and availability, Albion have countless youth and U-21 players to select from - they could probably field 3 or 4 different teams for a game on the Wednesday (and still win comfortably, 48hr rest or not). From a neutral perspective, as a fan of both clubs, it seems like the Sussex FA are pandering to the star attraction of their competition. It's a shame, as there are loads of Albion season ticket holders like myself who are regulars at The Sportsfield and would have been really looking forward to seeing a competitive fixture - which will now be weighed hugely in favour of the visitors.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Not really wanting to go over old ground yet again, but there are two sides to every story. There was plenty of antisocial behaviour at Hanworth, but no 'smashing up' (I was there). I wasn't at either the Faversham or Whitehawk games, but know plenty who were and the issues were certainly not as one-sided as you are suggesting - especially at Whitehawk. I'm under no illusions that there are a group of idiots who turn up to the occasional Littlehampton away game looking for trouble but, as I've said several times before, I don't really see what the football club committee can be expected to do about this above what they have already done for home matches (where there have been no issues this season thanks to increased awareness and stewarding). They simply don't have the resources or expertise to manage these situations, it's a group of half a dozen 'senior' blokes who run everything. To suggest they have had 'zero punishment' is also totally wrong; a friend of mine works on the FA disciplinary panel and I regularly hear details of the fines being meted out to LTFC - which are significant for a club of such limited income.

And as for the 48hr argument in relation to the Senior Cup, that's a pretty ridiculous comparison. Littlehampton could only name two substitues last Saturday because of injuries and availability, Albion have countless youth and U-21 players to select from - they could probably field 3 or 4 different teams for a game on the Wednesday (and still win comfortably, 48hr rest or not). From a neutral perspective, as a fan of both clubs, it seems like the Sussex FA are pandering to the star attraction of their competition. It's a shame, as there are loads of Albion season ticket holders like myself who are regulars at The Sportsfield and would have been really looking forward to seeing a competitive fixture - which will now be weighed hugely in favour of the visitors.
You are hugely downplaying and minimising the huge hooligan problem that Littlehampton suffer from. They are a problem club on the non-league scene and they’ve done practically nothing at club level to address these issues.

I’ve witnessed Littlehampton thugs on three separate occasions - in the three LA games I’ve seen in the past two seasons. That’s a 100% record of bottle throwing, fighting and underage drinking. All three happened at all three LA games I watched.

LA is a club which has done nothing to remedy the antisocial behaviour of their Neanderthal “fans” and in fact, respectfully much like you have, deflect and absolutely refuse to take responsibility for the disgraceful behaviour of their fans.

Sorry; but their reputation is dirt in the non league scene for a very good reason.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011

Yes we’ve been over the fan issues many times, probably not overly relevant, but it does seem sometimes that there seems to be very little done about it, as the problems persist. I can’t always put tone across in a post, some of it isn’t meant as insulting or accusatory as it’s written. I do think Littlehampton at the very least do make some of the local football scene exciting.

But while Brighton could field about 3 XIs they had to compromise with the Burgess Hill fixture, and there was very little fuss made. Where as for the next round they’ve obviously decided not to force them again. I think as much as Littlehampton are being disadvantaged, that’s the guilt edged sword, all the clubs want the draw of Brighton, but the other team involved it a similar stature and draw (although a smaller draw, still a decent draw) in recent years have just withdrawn (Crawley). I think it’s a roll of the dice who to disadvantage here, but the Sussex FA have made a pigs ear of this years competition I agree, with the Eastbourne v Bexhill nonsense and the Midhurst v Eastbourne repeated pitch inspection calamities.

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
You are hugely downplaying and minimising the huge hooligan problem that Littlehampton suffer from. They are a problem club on the non-league scene and they’ve done practically nothing at club level to address these issues.

I’ve witnessed Littlehampton thugs on three separate occasions - in the three LA games I’ve seen in the past two seasons. That’s a 100% record of bottle throwing, fighting and underage drinking. All three happened at all three LA games I watched.

LA is a club which has done nothing to remedy the antisocial behaviour of their Neanderthal “fans” and in fact, respectfully much like you have, deflect and absolutely refuse to take responsibility for the disgraceful behaviour of their fans.

Sorry; but their reputation is dirt in the non league scene for a very good reason.

A 'huge' hooligan problem?! Come on, I know it's all relative, but they're hardly Millwall. Not wanting to downplay it too much, as it's pretty embarrassing for the vast majority of 'normal' LA fans, but we're talking about a few dozen people here. And it's simply not true that LTFC haven't done anything about it. Home games are now stewarded, with bag searches and a pitch-side alcohol ban. I've been to around a dozen (mainly home) Littlehampton matches this season, and the game at Hanworth is the only one where I've witnessed anything untoward.

Managing troublesome away supporters who turn up on-spec is incredibly difficult to predict or react to. Like it or not, at all levels of the game, the onus is on the home club to 'police' all spectators in their ground. At this level there just aren't the police liason officers or spotters available higher up the food chain; unfortunately the troublemakers know this all too well and act with impunity as a result. My suggestion, as a starting point, would be for them to send their home stewards to away games to help identify potential issues and pick out individuals likely to cause problems.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
A 'huge' hooligan problem?! Come on, I know it's all relative, but they're hardly Millwall. Not wanting to downplay it too much, as it's pretty embarrassing for the vasy majority of 'normal' LA fans, but we're talking about a few dozen people here. And it's simply not true that LTFC haven't done anything about it. Home games are now stewarded, with bag searches and a pitch-side alcohol ban. I've been to around a dozen (mainly home) Littlehampton matches this season, and the game at Hanworth is the only one where I've witnessed anything untoward.

Managing troublesome away supporters who turn up on-spec is incredibly difficult to predict or react to. Like it or not, at all levels of the game, the onus is on the home club to 'police' all spectators in their ground. At this level there just aren't the police liason officers or spotters available higher up the food chain; unfortunately the troublemakers know this all too well and act with impunity as a result. My suggestion, as a starting point, would be for them to send their home stewards to away games to help identify potential issues and pick out individuals likely to cause problems.
I agree with most of this actually, maybe “huge” problem was an overstatement. But it’s sizeable enough relative to the size of the club to be an ongoing problem. What is worrying is that younger “fans” seem to look up to the more hardened thugs as mentors - one father and son duo were proudly doing limp wrist gestures and miming blowjobs at a passing rival supporter. Didn’t see them throw anything - that time. Improvement?

Last time I went, as my mate was refereeing, there were around 30 in a group all very clearly drugged up, and very clearly looking for trouble. They weren’t too interested in the game happening on the pitch.

It’s just very hard to reconcile the supposed positive changes LA have implemented as a club with the fact that there is trouble and a rather sinister undercurrent at every game I happen to see of theirs.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Sussex Senior Cup 1/4 Final last night at Woodside Road. Worthing were 2 nil down early in the second half to Crowborough but then woke up and scored 6 in 35 minutes to win 6-2. Bizarrely, Sussex FA have the score reversed on their website!!! Will be a bit of a wait to see who they get in the semi final as still matched to be played from earlier rounds. That's 17 goals in 2 games in 4 days at Woodside Road!

Screenshot 2023-02-15 at 06.51.23.png

Screenshot 2023-02-15 at 06.54.33.png

Last edited:

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
who is left in this seasons Sussex Senior Cup now?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Rooks 1 - 1 Hornets
Draw was a fair result in the end though Lewes will be disappointed they couldn't hold on to the lead with 10 minutes of a competitive match to go. Horsham were more than solid and did a great job of nullifying the threats on the wings, and the referee seemed to use a magic 8-ball to make any decisions.
The top 5 all won, and the coming weeks' fixtures look set to define whether Lewes are in the mix at the end or not. Still unbeaten at home though. And it was FREEZING by the end.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Went to a Littlehampton game a few weeks ago. Leaving aside the fact that their ground is a complete tip (I'm amazed they got accepted into the higher league) there was no trouble - just a few rather mouthy 50+s who seemed to be wallowing in whatever notoriety they think they have. Sad rather than threatening.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Went to Eastbourne Town v Hassocks last night, quality of Eastbourne was dire, Hassocks looked well organised and a good win for them. Off to Mile Oak tonight.

milliepops

Nov 8, 2011
at home
who is left in this seasons Sussex Senior Cup now?
The Midhurst and Eastbourne United 2nd round tie is still to be played, the winners will be at home to Hastings in round 3 with the winners of that at home to Horsham in the quarter final. No dates listed on the Sussex FA website for these matches.

The 2 other quarter finals are Littlehampton v Brighton on 23rd February and Bognor v Bexhill with a date TBC.

Worthing made to work very hard last night for a flattering 6.2 win v a very good Crowborough side to progress into the semi final.

2nd Crowborough goal an excellent free kick into the top corner to put them 2 up but once Worthing upped their tempo and moved the ball quicker they overran a tiring Crowborough to score 6 times in final 36 minutes.

Off to the Combination 1 encounter between Mile Oak and Worthing United.

Last edited:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Exactly this. Plenty of mutterings about Littlehampton fans by the fans of other teams in the league. They can deny it all they like but they definitely don't have a good reputation.

Last edited:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Went to Whitehawk v Lancing last night. Easy home win 4-0. Not wanting to take anything away from the Hawks performance Lancing really weren't very good at all.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Rooks 1 - 1 Hornets
Draw was a fair result in the end though Lewes will be disappointed they couldn't hold on to the lead with 10 minutes of a competitive match to go. Horsham were more than solid and did a great job of nullifying the threats on the wings, and the referee seemed to use a magic 8-ball to make any decisions.
The top 5 all won, and the coming weeks' fixtures look set to define whether Lewes are in the mix at the end or not. Still unbeaten at home though. And it was FREEZING by the end.
Ref was pretty annoying. There's letting stuff go and there's just being silly.

Though the least knowledgeable person appeared to be the Horsham manager who vigorously appealed for an offside from a goal kick

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Ref was pretty annoying. There's letting stuff go and there's just being silly.

Though the least knowledgeable person appeared to be the Horsham manager who vigorously appealed for an offside from a goal kick
To be fair if it had been a National League game as one was given at Torquay v Woking I went to a few weeks ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here