Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Non-League Football Thread- 2022/23 Edition

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Steyning v AFC Uckfield on Saturday, 4-0 to the Barrowmen, making it 10 wins in a row, climbed to joint 2nd in the league too.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
A trip down memory lane for me on Saturday, Horsham YMCA away to AFC Varndenians at Withdean.

The match was almost of secondary interest for me as l wandered around our old home It felt very sad in some ways as our old home has certainly suffered since we left it 12 years ago. The pitch, and indeed the wole stadium is now looked after by the local council, and the playing surface really wasn't very good at all, the grass being a little too long and with quite a few ruts and bumps.

Just the one stand left there now, the original main north stand behind the Sportsman pub, just a big empty are all along the opposite side of the pitch where the massive south stand used to be, and even the short lived stand to accomodate away supprters that the Albion had built way back behind the goal has been demolished.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching much of the game from the old Albion players lounge though, and going into the old dressing rooms too. The old Brighton & Hove Albion carpet has been left in place at the entrance.

Oh yes the game! won by YM 2-0, quite a dull affair with very few shots on goal. Finn Bigg one of Sally Gunnell's son's was wearing the number 7 shirt for Varndenians, with l think her other son on the bench. The lady herself though didn't see to be in attendance to watch them. Not sure of the official attendance, but l would be suprised if it was any more than about 40. A shame, the old ground deserves more.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
A trip down memory lane for me on Saturday, Horsham YMCA away to AFC Varndenians at Withdean.

The match was almost of secondary interest for me as l wandered around our old home It felt very sad in some ways as our old home has certainly suffered since we left it 12 years ago. The pitch, and indeed the wole stadium is now looked after by the local council, and the playing surface really wasn't very good at all, the grass being a little too long and with quite a few ruts and bumps.

Just the one stand left there now, the original main north stand behind the Sportsman pub, just a big empty are all along the opposite side of the pitch where the massive south stand used to be, and even the short lived stand to accomodate away supprters that the Albion had built way back behind the goal has been demolished.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching much of the game from the old Albion players lounge though, and going into the old dressing rooms too. The old Brighton & Hove Albion carpet has been left in place at the entrance.

Oh yes the game! won by YM 2-0, quite a dull affair with very few shots on goal. Finn Bigg one of Sally Gunnell's son's was wearing the number 7 shirt for Varndenians, with l think her other son on the bench. The lady herself though didn't see to be in attendance to watch them. Not sure of the official attendance, but l would be suprised if it was any more than about 40. A shame, the old ground deserves more.
Heading there tonight in the Senior Cup, bringing a Leverkusen fan who sorted tickets for me last week who’s here for the Forest game, he wants to see the old ground, I’ve warned him that’s it’s very crap

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Very decent crowd that 140 in the 10th tier
SCFL has reported it at 152.

Shoreham average home attendance (aware the game at the weekend was at EP) this season is just over 160, but that’s boosted a bit given there was over 300 there when they played Jersey in the FA Vase.

They tend get about 150 at home for a Saturday game if Brighton are away, closer to 100 if Brighton are at home.

Think it’ll be between them and Epsom for the title this season..

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia

Attendance listed at 67 on the SCFL website http://www.scfl.org.uk/FixtureList.php?WkNo=41

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Heading there tonight in the Senior Cup, bringing a Leverkusen fan who sorted tickets for me last week who’s here for the Forest game, he wants to see the old ground, I’ve warned him that’s it’s very crap
Crap is an apt description - the north stand is full of pigeon crap

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Several Isthmian League game cancelled tonight (Tues) due to the traffic problems caused by the Dartford Crossing protest.
Games include: Bognor Regis Town v Bowers & Pitsea, and also Lewes v Aveley.

Bognor have arranged a friendly v Littlehampton Town for tonight in place of the postponed fixture.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Heads up. Friday 28th. Friday Night Lights. Free Entry. Parking info here (plus league tables etc). The Barrowmen are on an eleven game winning run. Peacehaven & Telscombe FC are in town. If you have a spare evening - it should be a good night out. Bar and Burger Bar are open.

Peace1.jpg

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Several Isthmian League game cancelled tonight (Tues) due to the traffic problems caused by the Dartford Crossing protest.
Games include: Bognor Regis Town v Bowers & Pitsea, and also Lewes v Aveley.

Bognor have arranged a friendly v Littlehampton Town for tonight in place of the postponed fixture.
Shouldn't think there is too much "friendliness" shown by those two neighbouring clubs!

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
Shouldn't think there is too much "friendliness" shown by those two neighbouring clubs!
We've played Bognor in several friendlies over the past few seasons without incident. This one was arranged with about 24hrs notice and clashed with an Albion game, so doubt too many made the trip. Maybe if it were a competitve game in front of a big crowd it might be different, but the worst I have experienced at this fixture is a borderline acceptable chant about Bognor being a suburb of Poland.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Maybe if it were a competitve game in front of a big crowd it might be different, but the worst I have experienced at this fixture is a borderline acceptable chant about Bognor being a suburb of Poland.
Mild by todays standards. Mind you in recent seasons the chanting at non-league fixtures can be far worse than you might experience at a football league ground.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Easy Reduce pay to players. Ridiculous what some are paying to part time players. Some clubs higher level have full time players on gates of 2000ish

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
In the past clubs at lower level including Albion player were paid according to attendance

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Not sure what happened with my previous post but never mind turned to be a cracking Vase cup tie at the Little Common recreation ground with the home side overturning a 0-1 deficit at the interval to run out worthy 3-1 winners against Milton United from the Hellenic League Division One .

Attachments

• rsz_mu2.jpg
    rsz_mu2.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 27
  • rsz_mu3.jpg
    rsz_mu3.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 28
  • rsz_mu4.jpg
    rsz_mu4.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 28

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
FA Vase 2nd round draw , fixtures involving Sussex Clubs , to be played November 12th

Stansfeld V Crowborough

Broadbridge Heath V Ascot United

Wallingford & Crowmarsh V Little Common

Bexhill United V Eastbourne Town

Peacehaven & Telscombe V Bedfont

Montpelier Villa V Holyport

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here