Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The “No Relegation” debate

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
If "No Relegation" was enforced I'm not convinced I'd even watch. It would then feel very much akin to heavily corporate pre-season friendlies, purely being played to meet financial and contractual obligations.
I won't be watching a behind-closed-doors end of the season mini-tournament anyway ( relegation or no relegation).

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
The TV companies are desperate to show competitive live football on TV. The EPL clubs need to oblige in order to avoid financial penalties. The solution: Create a new one-off tournament to last perhaps a couple of months. Games behind closed doors, but with one or more European places up for grabs. The EPL clubs should then be compelled to bail out the EFL.

Restart the 2019-20 season at some point in the far-off future, when it is safe and crowds can attend.

I quite like your idea of a one of competition that could be played at neutral grounds. It would give the tv companies their income and allow the season to be cancelled with the current league positions used for awards and prize money. No relegation and increased league as a one off for next season.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The TV companies are desperate to show competitive live football on TV. The EPL clubs need to oblige in order to avoid financial penalties. The solution: Create a new one-off tournament to last perhaps a couple of months. Games behind closed doors, but with one or more European places up for grabs. The EPL clubs should then be compelled to bail out the EFL.

Restart the 2019-20 season at some point in the far-off future, when it is safe and crowds can attend.

That's what I would far prefer to see happen: complete this season safely, before even contemplating taking any future season beyond the 'roadmap' stage

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
That's pretty optimistic. There won't be a single opposing manager who won't finish their team talk by reminding his players that we've publically admitted to being not up for playing these games.

Pretty optimism is all I've got!

(I'd be pleased if opposing managers told their teams that Albion players won't be up for playing these games. It might make their own players even more laid back.)

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The changes being proposed are getting sillier by the day.

In additional to neutral grounds, 5 subs, less than 90 minutes, the latest is no team goal celebrations, no spitting, no sharing of water bottles, but the biggest difference is adding to the 25 man squad that was declared in January, providing the players are at the club already, this allowing long term injured players back.

The integrity of the competition is therefore being further diluted so is relegation valid in such circumstances.

I understand the TV requirements, but if the TV companies insist on relegation to still pay the money to the clubs, then other than behind doors (Government requirement) everything must stay the same,

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
If "No Relegation" was enforced I'm not convinced I'd even watch. It would then feel very much akin to heavily corporate pre-season friendlies, purely being played to meet financial and contractual obligations.

This with :moo: bells on....

There is no point playing whatever, other than to meet contractual obligations and minimise any financial shortfall for the remainder of the season. There must be relegation and if that means we fall victim then so be it, otherwise this season will always be remembered as a failure and possibly a farce.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Football seems to have lost perspective/sight of what is important right now, IMO. All sides seem to be hankering after a solution to 'finishing' the season – but whatever the scenario, it's going to be a very different environment to the season that started, so it's not even like for like.

The UK has the highest number of deaths in Europe and the second highest in the world. Aside from those loved ones who have died, thousands of people have lost businesses, income, experiences (non-exams, holidays, etc) and their way of life. Obviously those vary in importance but, for me, bringing back football ranks way below any of them. Who cares if the season is 'finished' at all? What difference is it actually going to make – beyond football fans from different clubs probably taking the piss out of Liverpool for years to come for the title that wasn't?

Clearly life has to begin to start getting back to normal sooner rather than later, but football played either on neutral venues or behind closed doors isn't normal. Bin it off and let the players – and the fans – return when they are safe to do so.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
IF
Games are played behind closed doors (a certainty) and relegation was scrapped, would you bother watching Saints V BHA on TV?
Given that I'm currently looking forward to watching Aaron Connolly play FIFA then I have to say that I probably would want to watch Ryan, Dunk, Trossard, Propper, etc playing real football...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
For me, if we have to play in neutral venues, then a compromise would be the bottom 6 have a play-off and the three losers get relegated. At least 5 of the bottom 6 has a chance of getting out of the bottom 6.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I keep thinking that the EPL actually have a reasonably good idea what they will be intending to do but are playing the long game at the moment to give the impression they are considering all options, however bizarre the options might be..

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Well I can think of several hundred million reasons why the clubs are desperate for the league to restart.

Barber has said as much.

Once again, though, why do some feel the need to demonise football for exploring the ways in which its "business" can proceed?

Almost every business in the country will be planning for different scenarios that enables them to resume their business as soon as is safely practicable, and in most cases it's not for charity, it's for cold, hard cash.

In short, I'm really fed up with all the "it's all about the money" bollocks that a lot of people are spouting, as if football is the only business that has any interest at all in money.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
The only option that makes sense to me is to bin the season, no relegation, but promote the top 2 in all other leagues, then relegate an extra club over the next 2 seasons.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Once again, though, why do some feel the need to demonise football for exploring the ways in which its "business" can proceed?

Almost every business in the country will be planning for different scenarios that enables them to resume their business as soon as is safely practicable, and in most cases it's not for charity, it's for cold, hard cash.

In short, I'm really fed up with all the "it's all about the money" bollocks that a lot of people are spouting, as if football is the only business that has any interest at all in money.

You are absolutely right. It is all about the money and nothing else.

I don't think that most of us, who are against the re-start of this ruined season disagree. What my view is, is that it isn't safe by any means at present to re-start.

Having read the posts of those fervently in favour of re-starting this ruined season, their reasoning has often lacked any credibilty or sense at all. It has been right for posters like me to point this out to them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here