Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The next Premier League casualty - a good fit for a departing manager?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Pardew definitely has ability whatever you think of him.

Agree with this, can't believe people would be sniffy about him coming down. Took Newcastle to fifth last season. He's been unlucky this year, has really struggled with injuries (and with a disaffected Ba wanting out) but has a good record over the years -that Southampton team that got promoted twice was pretty much his team too.

I'd be delighted if we got him - think Newcastle would be mad to get rid TBH

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Agree with this, can't believe people would be sniffy about him coming down. Took Newcastle to fifth last season. He's been unlucky this year, has really struggled with injuries (and with a disaffected Ba wanting out) but has a good record over the years -that Southampton team that got promoted twice was pretty much his team too.

I'd be delighted if we got him - think Newcastle would be mad to get rid TBH

This is the man who had the security of an 8 year contract and gets over 50k fans each home game yet sent out one of the worst (and least motivated) sides seen at the Amex this season.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This is the man who had the security of an 8 year contract and gets over 50k fans each home game yet sent out one of the worst (and least motivated) sides seen at the Amex this season.

Well, the team that played down here was pretty much a reserve team as we played them in the midst of their injury crisis.

But you can't hold up one match as an indicator of success. That's like saying Poyet was a useless manager because we lost to Barnsley.

Looking at his career, he's got promotions with Reading and West Ham (with an FA Cup final appearance thrown in), got Southampton back on the straight and narrow and took Newcastle to sixth in the Prem. Remember, he was seriously being spoken about as a possible England manager only a couple of years ago.

He's got an excellent overall record - only really failed at Charlton - and would be a real coup if we got him

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Well said Gwylan! He would be an excellent choice with a great CV, just the type of person who we need to help us go up! I don't give a sh*t if he's ex-Palace as long as he's dedicated to the job in hand of getting us up then I'll support him.

Some peope on here are just too precious!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Pardew? I'd rather have one of the real donkeys from Blackpool beach as our manager.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Pardew for Brighton - absolutely no way, little classless twerp.

I can't find any internet evidence but wasn't he extremely disparaging/ a complete sore loser about Brighton, the year we pipped them to the League 1 title?

Having said that, it would be a little harsh if true. I would have given him the start of next year at Newcastle, given his success of a couple of seasons ago.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
If this comes to fruition, Pardew can have no complaints. Newcastle have been dire this season and although he's been ready with excuses and mitigating circumstances, particularly with injuries, his team have been a shambles and do not seem to be playing for one another. They have gone from finishing 5th and above Chelsea to one year later finishing 16th and below Aston Villa. That eight year contract was always going to be a stick to beat him with the moment results dropped off. Newcastle seem to go from the sublime to the ridiculous, previously sacking managers on a kneejerk to then rewarding a long term contract on the strength of one season. No great surprise then that performances dropped and players and the manager rested on their laurels.

Pardew seems to be one of those managers who has one good season following by a very bad season. He was the same at West Ham, got them to the FA Cup final but the next year they struggled, he got sacked halfway through the season and then went to Charlton who got relegated instead. He won the Johnstones Paint Trophy with Southampton, but their league form was erratic and then somehow got the Newcastle job after having been sacked in a League One job! He did very well there last season, helped by Newcastle's run of fixtures at the start of the season and Graham Carr making some inspired signings. The next wave of signings, however, have not worked out as well.

If Newcastle can avoid a major payout to Pardew and are able to attract Rafa Benitez to the North East, you would have to say that would be potentially very good business for them and certainly they wouldn't be finishing 16th next season.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I can't find any internet evidence but wasn't he extremely disparaging/ a complete sore loser about Brighton, the year we pipped them to the League 1 title?
It was Nigel Adkins when he took over Southampton after Alan Pardew, saying that they were going to storm League One around September. Even at the end of the season he said they were still the best side. The stats show it was close but only because Brighton had won the league by mid-April, had about five games with nothing to play for and were thinking about the well deserved summer holidays.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Everton and Stoke changing managers. Rumours of Newcastle and Fulham changing managers, Southampton's manager threatening to quit. With all these changes, next season's premier league might not be the foregone conclusion it usually is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here