Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The mystery of Gus' obsession with playing "his" way....

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Gus's style is absolutely fine. It's just that some of the players are getting found out at this level now.

We won't go down with the crew we have, but I can't see us going up with personnel change - and that won't happen for another season.
Agreed, we are in a League were the opposition have worked out our play.......sit back, soak up the pressure, let us play it about at the back, we will give the ball away and wam-bam the opposition have us on the back foot and the ball is in the net. This is the reason Poyet is reluctant to play Lua-lua for long periods. He is a player who can change games from the wings but is a liability when he is defending or cuts inside to midfield.
Now i am a Gus fan but his style of play can backfire if you have limited resources and the players you use are probably not the best money can buy........Ask Arsenal, the nearly men of The Premier League, very good team, hard to beat but cannot quite string enough results together to trouble the top two. Keep going i say, results will come but we always will have "blips" when things dont go our way and untill we get the players in who are better than the ones we have we will be always flirting with the play-offs. That in itself is a fine position to be in considering our "budget"

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
But Joe Allen wasn't a starter really until last season and Britton went to Sheff Utd and only came back 2 January's ago. So we too had Championship class Center midfielders who wasn't that great at passing. We just had to keep to our principles and develop the club as a whole, when you go up Gus will just sign 3-4 class Spanish players (in all likelihood) to fill the gaps and you will be flying.

Then you will be so thankful for Gus and his style instead of panicking and wanting 50/50 long ball type football in the hopes of immediate success.

This is re-assuring stuff, thanks.

Its nice to have Swansea fans on this board - reminds us all to look at the bigger picture!

When did the "Swansea philosophy" start? Presumably early stages under Martinez? I know you stalled a bit under Paulo Sousa......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here