Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The mystery of Gus' obsession with playing "his" way....

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
I've realised something that baffles me about Gus and his obsession with playing "the right way" (passing football/possession football/keep-ball), and I think its why we are struggling so much.

He keeps signing players not even REMOTELY suited to playing in that way.

Lets look at Saturday's side against Middlesborough for example.....

The back four is fair enough. Greer, Bruno and Bridge are all very strong technically. El Abd not as much, but has improved a lot in that area.

But when you look at our midfield line-up its utterly bewildering. Okay, so Bridcutt is gifted and can pick out a pass, but Crofts and Hammond are workers, not creators. They're not exactly known for their one-touch brilliance, or range of glorious passes. They are good old-fashioned British "huffers and puffers". No shame in that whatsoever, but a baffling selection when you consider Gus' OBSESSION with passing football.

Meanwhile, on the bench sits Gary Dicker (not a Gus signing), a man who, for all his shortcomings, is suited to the passing game..... his strongest attribute, by far, is passing. In the meantime, Jake Forster-Caskey, a player PERFECTLY suited to the "Gus way"..... is playing for f***ing OXFORD.

Up front, its even more bizarre. I love Barnesy, but technical brilliance is not high on his list of attributes. He's game, selfless and works hard. But his touch and passing are probably two of his weakest areas. Then you've got Macca, who runs about a lot and can finish. However, like Barnes his link-play and passing is poor.

Of the front 6 on Saturday, only Bridcutt and David could be considered even CLOSE to resembling the sort of side you'd want if you were creating a Swansea style keep-ball philosophy.

Put simply, the players he is signing and picking are MILES away from being able to apply the philosophy he wants them to. They simply aren't those sorts of players. I haven't lost faith in Gus.... however, I've never been quite so baffled and disillusioned with him.

Up until now, we've always had a clear understandable approach.

He seems to be at conflict with himself. Something needs to give.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Don't hold your breath on Caskey ever playing a game under Poyet again. As for the rest of you post, it sounds like you have lost your faith.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Rather we play Gus' way than playing hoofball - when it works - it works well. Unfortunately when it doesnt, it seriously doesnt.

i'd rather play a style of football that WINS f***ing GAMES. I really could not give a f*** what it looks like as long as we show intent going forward and pick up points, this shower that Poyet puts out does NEITHER.

Jimmy Grimble

A big problem seems to be we don't have the option of going to the diamond formation or the 4-3-3 which we utilised quite a lot in League One. That's something we lost when Bennett went unfortunately; particularly the diamond set-up.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
But why doesn't he assemble a squad suited to passing football?

We obviously cant get them - simple. That and our style of play isnt widely played remember - so we naturally need to change the way they play. Gus probably looks at how easy to change they would be, although you can never always get it right.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I have to agree - whilst i like possession football there are times when you want to play the ball forward quickly. How often do we score a goal on the break ? we get the ball into a dangerous position and recycle again and again and again. Ultimately a pass goes astray and we are on the back foot. I am not advocating longball, just a faster passing game (and the occasional plan B - big striker for last 10 mins).

What we serisouly lack is ONE technically gifted midfielder ( luckily vicente is waiting in the wings) and ONE technically gifted striker. I firmly beleive we are 2 players away from a seriously good Albion side. We just need those two to link things together because at the moment everything we do on the pitch seems to be very one dimensional. I agree with the Dicker comment, maybe Dobbie can be that player ala Vicente? Ask for the striker we have never replaced Murray and there is not one inch of passing, clinical football about how we play up top to CMS.

Those two players in and we are sorted.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Half the problem with people on here is that they think that we play some magical way because we play a few passes around the back, even more stupid is they think that we don't EVER play the long ball and that other teams save for us Swansea, Arsenal and Barca hoof it every attack.

The game isn't just about possession and passing its about beating other teams and matching their style and tactics with a superior style and tactics that result in scoring more goals.

Some of CMS's best goals have come from diagonal long ball passes - I didn't here anyone complain or say we hoofed it

Its about being able to play football in many different ways

dandanthebrightonfan

Jan 29, 2012
BN14
1 goal in 5 games. thats 7 1/2 hours football lets hope Gus knows something we don't, has anyone ever pointed out to Gus that if you don't score a goal you ain't every going to win a game of football:rant:

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
We obviously cant get them - simple.

I don't agree at all. JFC and Dicker are both "that" type of player, but they don't get picked (or certainly not often).

Its not an argument about the quality of player, its about the TYPE of player. Crofts was signed after a full season in the Premiership..... but he isn't a ball-player. A midfield of Dicker, JFC, Bridcutt and Vicente/Dobbie/David/Orlandi - thats a team that could play the way Gus wants us to, but... Hammond and Crofts? Never in a million years.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
What we serisouly lack is ONE technically gifted midfielder ( luckily vicente is waiting in the wings) and ONE technically gifted striker. I firmly beleive we are 2 players away from a seriously good Albion side. We just need those two to link things together because at the moment everything we do on the pitch seems to be very one dimensional. I agree with the Dicker comment, maybe Dobbie can be that player ala Vicente? Ask for the striker we have never replaced Murray and there is not one inch of passing, clinical football about how we play up top to CMS.

Those two players in and we are sorted.

I agree/hope you are right re: Dobbie.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
He's not up to scratch in the transfer market.

His attacking signings have been, more often than not, a total disaster.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
We obviously cant get them - simple. That and our style of play isnt widely played remember - so we naturally need to change the way they play. Gus probably looks at how easy to change they would be, although you can never always get it right.

Such a load of shit, Swansea played a great passing game to get out of this league, they could find these players. You make out as though every other team in the league plays hoofball when the reality it is most teams in this league prefer to keep it on the ground and knock it about a bit, how hard can it be?

Bigbelly

Banned
Sep 24, 2011
I've realised something that baffles me about Gus and his obsession with playing "the right way" (passing football/possession football/keep-ball), and I think its why we are struggling so much.

He keeps signing players not even REMOTELY suited to playing in that way.

Lets look at Saturday's side against Middlesborough for example.....

The back four is fair enough. Greer, Bruno and Bridge are all very strong technically. El Abd not as much, but has improved a lot in that area.

But when you look at our midfield line-up its utterly bewildering. Okay, so Bridcutt is gifted and can pick out a pass, but Crofts and Hammond are workers, not creators. They're not exactly known for their one-touch brilliance, or range of glorious passes. They are good old-fashioned British "huffers and puffers". No shame in that whatsoever, but a baffling selection when you consider Gus' OBSESSION with passing football.

Meanwhile, on the bench sits Gary Dicker (not a Gus signing), a man who, for all his shortcomings, is suited to the passing game..... his strongest attribute, by far, is passing. In the meantime, Jake Forster-Caskey, a player PERFECTLY suited to the "Gus way"..... is playing for f***ing OXFORD.

Up front, its even more bizarre. I love Barnesy, but technical brilliance is not high on his list of attributes. He's game, selfless and works hard. But his touch and passing are probably two of his weakest areas. Then you've got Macca, who runs about a lot and can finish. However, like Barnes his link-play and passing is poor.

Of the front 6 on Saturday, only Bridcutt and David could be considered even CLOSE to resembling the sort of side you'd want if you were creating a Swansea style keep-ball philosophy.

Put simply, the players he is signing and picking are MILES away from being able to apply the philosophy he wants them to. They simply aren't those sorts of players. I haven't lost faith in Gus.... however, I've never been quite so baffled and disillusioned with him.

Up until now, we've always had a clear understandable approach.

He seems to be at conflict with himself. Something needs to give.

The probem is GUS!

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Don't you think it's better to have a long-term philosophy of playing football the right way, rather than a short-term philosophy of doing whatever it takes to win games.

If/when we do go up, we won't want to come straight back down again. We need to emulate clubs like Swansea, not Southampton.

this,but i wouldnt try and explain to most on here,your be wasting your time,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here