Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] The most thrilling stretch of road in the UK, has to be...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No Man's Land between the M6 'Toll Plaza' and rejoining the marked carriageway.

It never fails to deliver an epic edition of Wacky Races, even on the quietest days.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
But, at the toll plaza, did you dare touch the red box next to the payment card thingummy marked "DO NOT TOUCH"?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But, at the toll plaza, did you dare touch the red box next to the payment card thingummy marked "DO NOT TOUCH"?
No, but for somewhere that's the gateway to chaos, Toll Plaza is a bit of a letdown.

It's hardly the holiday destination the name implies.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
A23 south from Purley to the M25. Two reasons;

1. You can sometimes get a three lane motorway entirely to yourself
2. Fastest route out of Croydon

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Going up yesterday car In front stopped far too far away from the card reader and just sat there. Eventually got out and got his wallet out, found a card and stood there looking. Utter tool, who got a "f***ing get on with it"

Coming home behind a car who just sat there doing nothing. I looked behind me nothing coming so reversed a bit sharpish and onto another barrier.

What is it with these people? That and those that drive in the 3rd lane, nothing on the inside doing 65mph? I must have undertook at least 15 cars on the M25 driving in the 1st lane. Utter tools the lot of them.

seagurl

Mar 21, 2012
The B2112 or New Rd that stretches from Ditchling village along the bottom of the Downs to the Clayton tunnel. On a quiet summers evening with the road stretching far in front of you, its very tempting to put your foot down!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The B2112 or New Rd that stretches from Ditchling village along the bottom of the Downs to the Clayton tunnel. On a quiet summers evening with the road stretching far in front of you, its very tempting to put your foot down!
As long as you don't put your foot down on Underhill Lane.

My favourite stretch of road was the M4 through Reading late at night. Fully lit for quite a few miles and I just floored the accelerator. Not the first person to make a hasty exit from the Reading area.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I used to love chucking my coins into the bucket thingys at the Dartford crossing. It was worth the money just for that experience. I know little things.........
Until you missed…..

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
Bealach na Ba without a shadow of a doubt. First time I did it the road was deserted and we drove up into the clouds. Nowadays it's full of tourists unfortunately, all "Doing the NC500". Good for the local economy, but horrible for those that remember how it used to be,
Certainly up there. Cycled over it a couple of years ago. Worth doing for the descent down into Applecross. A82 from Fort William down to Loch Lomond is a lovely stretch of road to drive.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
A537 Cat and Fiddle Macclesfield to Buxton, goes over highest point of Peak District via aforementioned pub.

Very similar layout to the Mountain Section on the IoM, has been ruined by dickheads killing themselves hence speed cameras every couple of miles these days.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I would say both the following have similarities:

The M40 eastbound after Beaconsfield, where the four lanes split, two to the left for the M25 and two the right staying on the M40.

&

The M25 southbound, where the left splits off to the M23 and right staying on the M25.

At peak times its amazing of how many loons you get to see criss-crossing at speed, as they've left their exit or other to the last minute.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
No Man's Land between the M6 'Toll Plaza' and rejoining the marked carriageway.

It never fails to deliver an epic edition of Wacky Races, even on the quietest days.
Haven’t been there for a few years, but when I did use it I could always make a spirited challenge to lead the pack. I should imagine that the bloody Teslas are probably having all the fun these days.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry but no, this wasn't a debate.

I have spoken.
I have given you the answer.
You're job is to agree or duck off.

This isn't wishy washy, everyone gets a prize, wokism.

Deal with it.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Even locally for me it has to the Breakspear Road South, where the new HS2 bridge is being built.
Traffic lights on green, you go through and come face2face with a fvckit in a road sweeper coming out of the work area, oblivious to all around.
@BrightonCottager will attest to this.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Bealach na Ba without a shadow of a doubt. First time I did it the road was deserted and we drove up into the clouds. Nowadays it's full of tourists unfortunately, all "Doing the NC500". Good for the local economy, but horrible for those that remember how it used to be,
But the locals hate the nc500 - especially those in caravans and campervans

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here