Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The morning after...

ruthers

Feb 24, 2013
I thought we did that pretty well towards the end of the game - something we did not do in the first game.
Exactly. It was great to see blue and white streaming forward. And to be fair it isn't something we do in any games. We are so slow pushing out from the back that the ball invariably comes straight back where we push little backward triangles around in our last quarter for a while, which makes our possession stats look great at least!
I was sitting behind the dugout for a change of scene for the first Hull game it was noticeable how often Jones and Garcia were motioning for Upson and Dunk to get out quicker. Their instructions seemed to fall on deaf ears, with only Calde paying any notice to anything said from the side. Just my observation.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Hull are a better team than us, can't really complain about being knocked out by them.

But the game at leasts illustrates how far we are from being Premier League ready on the pitch. Even our rock-solid defence looks wobbly when exposed to Premier League pace.

Hopefully in the long run a useful experience, for Oscar and some of the younger players. I think Dunk, March and Ince will be increasingly important players for us.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
We lost this by not playing our best team at the Amex for the first leg. Simple as that.
Had we beaten them last Monday we would have had the momentum for the Wigan match.

What makes you think our first team would have won? Out of the team last week, only 3 of them have not played regularly this season.

If it was as simple as just playing the first team to beat a Premier League team then wouldn't we be walking this league?

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Of course, but doesn't our 'first team' imply that it IS our best team and therefore have a greater chance of winning to one that was not described as such?

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Balls into the box on Ulloas head bang another goal !!
Some of our crosses in are fecking woeful .
Onwards and upwards Millwall on Saturday can't wait !!!!!
I hope my belly is freezing on Saturday .

Bozza Can we have a belly out icon please ha ha !!!

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
i went and i thought 1st half we look nervous and looked tired and we gifting them two shocking goals and i thought 2nd we came out and had a go and i thought we played well in second half but the damage was done in 1st half

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Agree with this, too many players showed poor 1st touch and gave the ball away far too easily. I felt sorry for Brez with the amount of vile abuse he received on here and twitter but he quite clearly isn't good enough.
I can't be bothered with all the negative threads on here at the mo but all I want to say is I truely believe Oscar is the right man for the job, but he needs more luck with injuries and more backing in the transfer market.
So be it if we don't go up this season, re group, let Oscar rebuild his own team in the summer and go again next year,
Oh and yes last nights 1st half was shocking, but a prem team only just beat us 2-1 at their ground after we pretty much gave them a 2 goal head start, and we hit the bar.
Although it wasn't good last night, I don't think we're that far away from lower table prem teams

Good summary. Very disappointing first half performance, no energy or commitment (as well as a fair number of schoolboy passing errors). Midfield were too deep, Ulloa was completely isolated, Kaz was very poor (he's found his level in the championship - prem defenders are too good to fall for his trickery, and are pacier but I still like him as an impact sub at champ level, although his constant going to ground and failure to try, ever, to make amends - compare with Ince for example - is annoying). Brez wasn't helped by static defenders for the first goal and don't think he could've done a lot about the second with the late deflection. He doesn't deserve the abuse.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Direct attacking football is not hoofball....im talking about attacking with pace, not just lumping it up to a big man. But thats the general perception people have when someone says lets be more direct..Liverpool are direct, Man City are direct. I don't see them hoofing it very much, but I do see them playing two strikers..People who say direct football by definition is hoofball, just actually prove they haven't got a clue.It just sounds like it makes sense, to themselves anyway.

We aren't Spain or Barcelona, no. We aren't Liverpool or Man City either! Think your reference points need to be a tad more realistic.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I don't think we played that bad, we started ok and then Brez had a howler. It was no surprise to me that the team lost all confidence in the keeper and it looked like they were playing in front of a black hole for the rest of the first half to protect it.

We certainly weren't outplayed, Hull’s second goal should have been ruled offside and we did well to get a goal back.

Should Brez have played? In hindsight no, but all teams play their reserve goalkeeper, it just happens that our one has not been able to improve on his consistent weak point. He even punched Ulloa in the back of the head instead of punching the ball away to clear.

Oscar wasn’t wrong to play our reserve goalkeeper, the problem is who our reserve keeper is and that was the only difference between the sides.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm actually very positive about where Oscar has the team right now.

When he came after a torrid summer for us, knowing he's not had a huge amount of managerial experience, certainly none in England, my expectations for this season were to hopefully remain competitive which we've certainly done.

Take into account injuries to absolutely key players at key times during the season; Bridcutt, Crofts, Ulloa, Buckley, the continued absence of CMS, Hoskins, our league position is actually very good.

Oscar has also bought our young players through, March, JFC, Ince and now Dunk all showing great potential. You could build a team around Ince, very exciting.

We outplayed Wigan, and should have taken our chance to beat Hull who are a decent PL side now - we're disappointed because we know we were capable of beating them, and that is as much a positive as it is a negative on the fact we lost.

Everything is moving in the right direction. For me a manager needs at least a season to get familiar with a new club, the squad and players. I'm actually pleasantly surprised that we are still in contention with what is a higher quality division in my opinion to what it was last season, and still feel optimistic we can make the play off's.

No one on here really knows the relationships between Garcia, Jones, Burke, Barber and Bloom. Inference, hearsay, polls are all just ridiculous b*llocks from fans without a clue - seriously just guessing and needing to point their angry finger at someone.

I'm already looking forward to Saturday!!! :albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here