Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Minute's Silence...

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Barely a game passes these days without a minute's silence before kick-off.

I think my favourite one was soon after Princess Diana's death at an England game when then manager Glenn Hoddle said it was "the best minute's silence I've ever heard."

It does make me think that the kit manufacturers are missing a trick though. They could bang out a kit with a pre-printed black armband on it. It would also help the players because I can't imagine it's comfy wearing them.

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
Interesting at City this weekend - the first time I remember a minutes silence and minutes applause at the same match

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Interesting at City this weekend - the first time I remember a minutes silence and minutes applause at the same match
If they saved up all the minute's silences and applauses and did them all before the kick-off at the final game of the season, what would be more difficult? Keeping schtum or clapping for half an hour?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Nothing says solemn like a mascot doing a minute's silence...

41.jpg

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Barely a game passes these days without a minute's silence before kick-off.

I think my favourite one was soon after Princess Diana's death at an England game when then manager Glenn Hoddle said it was "the best minute's silence I've ever heard."

It does make me think that the kit manufacturers are missing a trick though. They could bang out a kit with a pre-printed black armband on it. It would also help the players because I can't imagine it's comfy wearing them.
Tony Millard once gave a radio commentary on a minutes silence at Canvey Island.

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
Interesting - I thought the only reason the minutes applause was brought in was because a few scumbag prats couldn't be trusted to respect a minutes silence.
Funny that…plenty of tossers shouting during the minutes silence

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I wondered what they’d have done had the news of Bobby Charlton's death been announced in the morning rather than at half time. As I’ve opined here before, these minute silences have got totally out of hand.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Tony Millard once gave a radio commentary on a minutes silence at Canvey Island.
I remember hearing that later as I was at the game. He said something like "I must not observe this as you cannot have silence on the radio" :)

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
Minute silence, then a minute of clapping then taking the knee.

Shown in full on MOTD - as a highlight. Seemed like the match would never start.

The Beeb commentator mentioned Gerry Ryan,, it would have been a nice touch if they had done so at Citeh. or did I miss that?

With all that plus extended added time we could find ourselves spending the whole night at a ground one day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here