[Football] The match food thread for today

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Entirely possible.

It's very often not a case of them not ordering enough / not having enough pies / underestimating the demand / not knowing a crowd was coming, but more the time taken to get the pies heated up ready to serve.

There'll be limited oven/heating space so demand can exceed the ability to restock, which is why pies may "sell out" pre-match but, come half-time, there's a large supply again. The same for post-match.
Indeed. That's also the reason that there is sometimes an anomaly between different kiosks in the same stand, i.e. some pies are available in one kiosk but not the other. They are simply awaiting deliveries of said items.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It’s not all down to the staff……..if that extended family was like the one in front of me, they arrive at the front of the queue and only then does Mrs FW ask the kids what they want……’what have they got?’…..’well, there’s hot dogs, burgers, pies and sausage rolls’……..’have they got any sandwiches ?’……’no I don’t think so, how about a hot dog ?……..’ohhhhh, can i just have some chips then?’…..’no they haven’t got chips, but you can have crisps’……’what flavours have they got ?’…….etc, etc, etc, etc……..

I'm still stunned that @Weststander has finally seen the light and realised the best selection, quality and service has always been in the North stand. I wonder who told him ???

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I didn’t say you were. General point about food price versus value. Everyone’s got their sense of, sometimes I think we all forget clubs aren’t there to feed us but make money from. Entirely our choose to pay £10 for a cheeseburger etc.
Maybe not directly, but it was me who brought Pukka Pies to the table. (Not literally)

I was just trying to highlight that the club had not gone for low-cost mass-manufactured options in the catering kiosks at the Amex. Covering my arse, I'll add that not all low-cost mass-manufactured food is rubbish, of course.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I think that's quite unfair - much of it isn't rubbish at all. If there was no thought given to quality we'd be served Pukka Pies.

But, yes, the pricing is at typical captive audience levels, see also: service stations, airports, gig venues etc.
The beer (outside at least) is a lot cheaper than most pubs in Brighton. But don’t tell them.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Tea at football ? Bloody newbies, never had a problem where to put the string with a Bovril,

It's people like you that have caused the whole woke, snowflake, organic, vegan Felafel and wild rice thing. Tea at football is the beginning of a slippery slope :rant:
Yeah I hear you, but I had to go to work after the game, and they get all sniffy if I turn up shitfaced after six pints of cider.

This country eh? Bloody woke bullshit :nono:

SFO

Mar 31, 2023
There's a really good Twitter (X) account to follow called FootyScran. They show the food at all the stadiums around the country.

There are a quite a few clubs out there who seem to be doing a really good job with match day food, notably Hull City of all people!

Apparently you can get Apple Crumble and Chocolate crepes at the Ethiad, Chicken Katsu curry at Leeds and a pork role with stuffing at Birmingham City.

Are we falling behind?

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
There's a really good Twitter (X) account to follow called FootyScran. They show the food at all the stadiums around the country.

There are a quite a few clubs out there who seem to be doing a really good job with match day food, notably Hull City of all people!

Apparently you can get Apple Crumble and Chocolate crepes at the Ethiad, Chicken Katsu curry at Leeds and a pork role with stuffing at Birmingham City.

Are we falling behind?
Yes. Out offerings are pretty mundane and expensive for what you get.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Are we falling behind?
A lot of the offerings shown is food from vans around grounds etc, rather than inside the grounds

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Pies yesterday were very good, better than most I’ve had at football.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Our scran day matched the result. (If you value finance over quality)

Jnr got a Greggs gift card for Christmas, so that was coffee and pastries free.

In the summer I got a £50 M&S gift card we've been using for away day lunches, it's last sandwiches were yesterday - rest well young warrior.

Jnr also works part time in McDonald's so has all the staff discount and promo bonuses.

Yesterday we dined out for less than a tenner.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Got to the Amex much earlier than usual for the Spurs match so thought I’d try one of the food outlets outside.

Was fairly good but £14:50 for a cheeseburger & chips 😮

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I’ll start.

In East Stand Upper all the burgers, hot dogs, sausage rolls and virtually all the pies were sold out at half time. And I mean the start of half time. How can that happen? Did not expect a crowd?
I was amazed last season a burger outside the ground by the away turnstiles was only about £3. Some even contained beef apparently. Good value for a football club.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Got to the Amex much earlier than usual for the Spurs match so thought I’d try one if the food outlets outside.

Was fairly good but £14:50 for a cheeseburger & chips 😮
I know. I spotted that last season and have not bought anything for a good while now. It’s serious cash, so if in a rush you’ve just got to go to a convenience store on route etc or be penalised. I wonder how much they’re charged by club as rent to justify those prices. That’s key to understanding but thousands are prepared and able to purchase.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports